PDA

View Full Version : Mil dot ranging question, variable power

tonb
07-05-2007, 3:45 PM
I have another dumb question.

On a variable power scope, how does the mildot ranging technique work unless the dots grow and shrink when zooming? I mean, if the dot = xxx size at 100yd, then if you zoom in and are looking at something at 200yd, if the dot size doesn't change, wouldn't you not be able to calculate the range? Or am I way off here?

wildcard
07-05-2007, 3:49 PM
Mil-Dots on a variable magnification scope are generally set to work only at one specific magnification. Usually 10X if available.

Technical Ted
07-05-2007, 3:53 PM
The mildot reticle only functions as a range finder at one magnification setting specified in the manufacturers manual.

Usually the scope maximum unless otherwise specified.

tonb
07-05-2007, 3:55 PM
Ahhhh ok cool, thx.

Mute
07-05-2007, 4:29 PM
Which also means holdover values are different for each magnification setting. One very big reason many shooters prefer front focal plane reticles.

mprahm
07-06-2007, 12:55 AM
check out "shooter ready .com" great for range finding and learning mil dots.

Sniper3142
07-11-2007, 4:03 PM
Many of the above comments are wrong on using Mildots or any other ranging reticle on a variable power scope.

There are 2 types of variable power scope reticles: FFP (First Focal Plane) and SFP (Second Focal Plane).

On a FFP scope, the reticle grows & shrinks when you change the magnification. This allows you to use the ranging features of the reticle at any magnification level.

On a SFP scope, the reticle stays the same size regardless of the magnification setting. On those scope, the ranging function only works easily at a specific power or magnification level, ususlly full power.

Some examples of FFP scopes are: USO (U.S. Optics) and Schimdt & Bender. SFP scopes include Leupolds, Nightforce, and most of the lower priced scopes.

Please read Zak Smiths excellent articles and scopes and shooting equipment:
http://demigodllc.com/articles.php

The specific articles on optics are:
http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-shooting/

rksimple
07-11-2007, 5:52 PM
Which also means holdover values are different for each magnification setting. One very big reason many shooters prefer front focal plane reticles.

In addition, different magnification settings may not be what you read on the scope. So if your scope is calibrated at 12x, when the scope reads 6x, it may not be exactly 6x. This will throw you off when trying to range or holdover using double the mil value. You need to verify the markings yourself.

boro62
07-13-2007, 4:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that my scope isnt a FFP, but i cant find anywhere in the manual that says at what specific magnification i should use for ranging. It does say that on the 6-24x40 , it would be at the 12x magnification.

The problem is, mine is a 5-15x40. To be more exact, im using a Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15x40 32-5154T. Would any of u guys kno what magnification i should b using for this scope?

rksimple
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that my scope isnt a FFP, but i cant find anywhere in the manual that says at what specific magnification i should use for ranging. It does say that on the 6-24x40 , it would be at the 12x magnification.

The problem is, mine is a 5-15x40. To be more exact, im using a Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15x40 32-5154T. Would any of u guys kno what magnification i should b using for this scope?

I don't know about that particular scope, but look at the power ring. If there are any numbers that are in red, thats probably the power to use.

Scarecrow Repair
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Why not try it? Put up a one inch square, two inch square, etc, at 100 yards, and try various magnifications to see which come closest.

Jicko
07-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Whether or not it is FFP, it is VERY easy to determine.... just look at thru the scope and change your magnification.... if the reticle changes in size, then it is a FFP; if not, it is NOT.

Ur scope's mil-dot is set for 15x.

boro62
07-13-2007, 2:59 PM
thx for the responses, im still a newbie when it comes to rifle shooting with optics bit. Anyhow ive been reading up on this whole ranging bit, been playing with some of the tutorials found online...cant wait to get out to the range to actually try it.