PDA

View Full Version : My wish this fourth of July

Rob P.
07-05-2007, 2:59 PM
I would like to find someone who can / will teach me about deer or quail hunting.

I have had a hunting license in the past but never used it because I couldn't find anyone to teach me about how, where to go, who to know/talk to about game processing, etc. I even have a nice .20 ga Mossberg which I have NEVER fired and have owned for over 15 years that I wanted to use for upland hunting. I am familiar with handguns and long guns and have been plinking since I was a teen. Firearm safety is primary to me and I mean it when I say it.

I have now nearly reached the ripe old age of 48 and I've decided that THIS YEAR I'm going to learn even if I have to do it the hard way and teach myself. :eek:

So, is there ANYONE out there who wants a hiking partner during a pre-season scouting trip and who is willing to explain things to a total noob (and I really mean it when I say "TOTAL"). Willing to scout from Bakersfield or in Ventura / southern Santa Barbara County as I have a place to stay in either place. I have boots, backpack, binoculars and decent understanding of hiking/backpacking/outdoors in the desert mountains. I am pretty familiar with the Las Padres NF as I used to hike/camp there when younger. I know nada about Kern County except that I'm probably going to be moving there within the year or so.

PM me or email me at harpy@avenuecable.com

(Aaaaak, just rereading this makes me thing of Craigslist and some of the stuff they post there under the "connections" section.)

Rob P.
07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
WOW, 68 views and no one has any advice or opinion?

I'm gong to post over on Jesse's forum and see what happens there.

Still would be nice to hook up with someone though.

joel1316
07-09-2007, 8:24 AM
WOW, 68 views and no one has any advice or opinion?

I'm gong to post over on Jesse's forum and see what happens there.

Still would be nice to hook up with someone though.

I just think a lot of people have the same wish....;)
I'd like to learn quail hunting without a dog...

Technical Ted
07-09-2007, 9:15 AM
You've proven that The 4th of July isn't a wishing holiday like Christmas.

Rob P.
07-09-2007, 4:45 PM
Oh, I dunno. Some folks back in the mid 1700's sure had a powerful wish and it came true. If it worked for them, why not me.

P.s. Like yer hat.

AKman
07-10-2007, 3:14 PM
If you can wait 18 months more, Dick Cheney might be available to teach you all about quail hunting.

I'm no master hunter, but learned a lot going on guided hunts at local ranches. There must be at least a dozen places in SLO, SB, Ventura and Kern counties where all you have to do is show up with the appropriate gun, ammo, license and tags. The guide takes you out, you shoot something, and the guide does all the dirty work (unless you want to help for some hands-on learning). Once you have done that a couple of times, you don't need the guide, although they generally have exclusive rights to large tracts of private property.

Another option would be for you to head up the Avenue and look for some wild boar. The buggers are everywhere... I might be able to round up a couple of other people to get some local boar.

Rob P.
07-10-2007, 4:15 PM
If you can wait 18 months more, Dick Cheney might be available to teach you all about quail hunting.

Uhh, no thanks :eek:

I'm no master hunter, but learned a lot going on guided hunts at local ranches. There must be at least a dozen places in SLO, SB, Ventura and Kern counties where all you have to do is show up with the appropriate gun, ammo, license and tags. The guide takes you out, you shoot something, and the guide does all the dirty work (unless you want to help for some hands-on learning). Once you have done that a couple of times, you don't need the guide, although they generally have exclusive rights to large tracts of private property.

My problem isn't that I can't hit what I'm aiming at. My problem is that I don't KNOW ANYTHING about hunting. Like who to take game to for processing, what a scrape looks like, best times & places to look, etc etc etc. It sort of defeats the purpose if someone hauls you to a comfy spot complete with a couch, points and says: "See that? Shoot it." <Bang> and you're done for the year not much wiser than when you started. I want to learn how to hunt, not just take game.

Another option would be for you to head up the Avenue and look for some wild boar. The buggers are everywhere... I might be able to round up a couple of other people to get some local boar.

There are piggies here in Vta county? Where? I've been all over LPNF and haven't ever seen any sign of them. Deer tracks, cougar tracks, bear tracks (lemme tell ya about the time I saw REALLY FRESH baby bear tracks & swirling mud in a moving stream in Bear Canyon. Maybe that's why they call it bear canyon?), birds, bees, hornets, wasps, snakes, you name it I've pretty much either seen it or seen it's tracks. But I've never seen piggie sign this far south. But then again it's been years since I was up in there.

I wuz thinking this weekend I might take a day hike up Piru Canyon into the burn area and then go cross country along the burn edges to the west. I understand deer like the fresh browse which grows after a burn so they may be there. Just gotta stay out of the condor range. And, there might not be much browse because of the lack of rain. But next year...... :p

Whether I go or not depends on how work goes this week. And I need to get a current map, backcountry permit and find out about closures. All my maps are so ancient they crumble if you touch 'em.

popndrop
07-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Its a hard thing to get folks to take you out with them, it's rather unfortunate really. The thing is that the guys that actually know where and how to find game on public lands probably aren't going to take you to their "secret fishing hole"...even though in the long run it would probably be better for the sport and the legacy of the sport to spend the time teaching guys like you who are earnestly interested in making the effort. I'd love to say i'll take you, but I'm not in your area, nor do I have any real idea of where to hunt in those areas.

Another guy suggested that you use a guide to start, and there are plenty in the areas you mentioned. I think you said that you didn't think you'll learn anything, i'd disagree. I've learned a great deal about hunting from the professionals that do it for a living. First off, you own their time when you're with them, so you can ask them anything you want, second they want you to have a good time - for some people that may mean a no effort hunt with a guaranteed kill , for others that may mean a long hard trek over the hills without any shooting opportunities at all - I guess my point is, they will generally cater to what you're looking for. They also tend to really appreciate hunting with guys that are both enthusiastic to hunt and learn and willing to work at it. A lot of the guides that i've hunted with will tell you horror stories, not about Total Nube's like you, but rather the "Seasoned Hunters" that think they know everything; they usually prefer to hunt with guys like you and I, we're more appreciative, eager to learn and follow directions. I'd say you might should check it out.
My hunting resume isn't as good as many, but i've been going now for about 10 years, have taken my share of boar in Kali and Texas, plenty of Javelinas and several nice Deer in Texas, and different types of upland birds and waterfowl all over.
One last suggestion, try some of the official organizations, Like Quail Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club International...they have meetings all over where you might be able to meet people that may know what they're doing.
good luck to you! and good hunting!

PND

GW
09-22-2007, 10:35 PM
OK
one thing to try is a guided hunt. Check yellow pages in your area and all the way up to Salinas. When a buddy and I decided we wanted to hunt thats what we did and it was a great time. The guidewas Jim Gardoni out of Greenfield and he was great I've hunted with him a couple times
He takes care of cleaning and skinning the hog
My advice if you choose to do this is line up a butcher to handle your pig before you get out there on the hunt
Also check the CA DFG a couple years back they had a pig-hunting class all day at Fort Hunter Liggett. That may be an annual event Its worth looking into.
Good luck

chico.cm
09-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey Rob P, if you lived alot further north, I'd be happy to take you out.
I am a big believer in passing down the tradition of hunting and fishing.

As a kid, my dad took me out because he knew how much I wanted to go. He didn't know much at all about hunting, but he did teach me to shoot.
We spent alot of time in the woods and I read every page of Field and Stream and Outdoor Life.
My first actual understanding came from my Boy Scout manual. LOL.

That said, I am self taught in many aspects of my hunting and I usually hunt alone. (My sons are 5 and 1!) I read everything dfg.ca.gov had on it when I moved to CA, as it is SO different than my home of MS.
Check out your local archery or sporting goods specialty store (read: Mom & Pop), they will usually have lots of movies to rent/buy.
The Outdoor Channel and Versus also carry great hunting shows.
IMO, if you are willing to spend the time in the field, on foot, looking for sign and animals, you will be rewarded greatly. Most *hunters* that I meet in passing, are the type that never get far from the truck.