PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Handguard Fitment Issues

TheYellowDart
09-25-2012, 6:19 PM
Hey All,

I ordered a Magpul MOE Handguard and it doesn't quite fit correctly, or at least I can't get it to fit correctly.
I was hoping that someone here might be able to identify the issue.

The front of the handguard fits nicely, but the rear doesn't quite meet and has about a 2mm gap that prevents me from pulling the delta ring around rear and sealing things up nicely.

I looked closer and whats happening is that the slot in the rear of the handguard that intended to slide around the barrel nut doesn't quite fit and is rubbing on the barrel nut itself.

Anyhow, it seems like either the Magpul Handguard is about 2-3mm longer than it should be or the Del-Ton upper is about 2-3mm shorter than it should be.

Also, I've noticed that the lower half of the Magpul Handguard has a slight curvature to it, I'm not sure if this is intentional or if it's a defect.

I made a youtube video to help show you the curvature that I'm talking about;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUaDYwfLoe8&feature=plcp

In the photos below you can see at the rear that the handguard doesn't quite matchup and the delta ring isn't able to return to a normal position.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/MatthewT484/ArmsList/photo06-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/MatthewT484/ArmsList/photo05-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/MatthewT484/ArmsList/photo07-1.jpg

Below you can see how the barrel nut (the thing that looks like a cog) is grinding on the handguard and preventing me from pushing the top and bottom pieces completely together. In the second photo below you can see how the nut has actually shaved off a piece of the handguard from my efforts & in the 3rd photo you can see that the finish was rubbed off of the barrel nut where the handguard rubbed on the barrel nut.

I can just force it in, but it'd cause even more damage which doesn't seem like that should be necessary. Both Del-ton (the upper) and Magpul are reputable companies, I can't imagine that either would be this far out of spec. What could the problem be?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/MatthewT484/ArmsList/photo02.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/MatthewT484/ArmsList/photo1-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/MatthewT484/ArmsList/photo10.jpg

MUKAK
09-25-2012, 7:10 PM
looks like Delta ring needs to be pushed forward a bit? try sqeezing the MOE and pushing on the delta ring forward?

Sbasham
09-25-2012, 8:00 PM
Mine kind of is like that. Push the delta ring towards the muzzle and itll be fine.

Also look at the gap between the top and bottom pieces thats could be a little bit of the problem.

TheYellowDart
09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
looks like Delta ring needs to be pushed forward a bit? try sqeezing the MOE and pushing on the delta ring forward?

I'd love to push the deta ring forward but can't.
The top handguard is catching on the barrel nut and won't go all the way into place. (see photos above)
I originally thought this was going to be solvable with just a bit of man-strength and elbow grease, but when I applied a bit of force I ended up damaging the MOE (not significantly, but enough for me to think that this is a problem that will require more fineness than brute strength)

Mine kind of is like that. Push the delta ring towards the muzzle and itll be fine.

Also look at the gap between the top and bottom pieces thats could be a little bit of the problem.

The gap is definitely the problem, and the gap is being caused by contact with the barrel nut.

I've read that someone pushed their front sight forward .011" and it solved the problem. Seems like that would work, but I'd rather not f- with my front sight unless it's and absolute necessity.

Revolver Ocelot
09-25-2012, 10:22 PM
File a little bit of the polymer to make it fit?

ChrisTKHarris
09-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Pinch the heat shield together. Sometimes it widens when its being fitted over the barrel (especially if you are repeatedly fitting it) and inhibits the top and bottom hand guard pieces from fitting together flush.

deviljon
09-25-2012, 10:43 PM
When you installed the hand guards, did you do the top first from the front? I remember having some issues with my MOE hand guards and it took a little bit of wiggling to get the pieces in.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby has a set that you can try popping in to at least see if its the upper or the MOE.

TheYellowDart
09-26-2012, 7:03 AM
File a little bit of the polymer to make it fit?

I'm getting to that point...
I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person having this problem, so before I start altering the handguard I'd like to be sure I've tried everything else.

Pinch the heat shield together. Sometimes it widens when its being fitted over the barrel (especially if you are repeatedly fitting it) and inhibits the top and bottom hand guard pieces from fitting together flush.

Thanks, I have an HBAR so I thought this might be it... but alas no, the heat shield isn't the problem.

When you installed the hand guards, did you do the top first from the front? I remember having some issues with my MOE hand guards and it took a little bit of wiggling to get the pieces in.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby has a set that you can try popping in to at least see if its the upper or the MOE.

Yup, top end first then bottom.

& I'm out in Orange County, Irvine, if anyone has a middy MOE they're willing to take a chance on... let me know.

If not that's ok, I've got a friend who's (very slowly) building an AR, I'll probably just try his MOE handguard whenever he gets it.
Also, I might just try asking the guys at my local range.

TheYellowDart
09-26-2012, 7:07 AM
Oh, and to update and further confuse.
I squeezed the top and bottom halves together till they were flush with no gap (used a vice) and yet the delta ring still would not return all the way forward.

I'm thinking I'll probably just file it.

I can take a mm or two off of the notches that fit into the front triangle to scoot this thing forward into a better position, that should help out.

deviljon
09-26-2012, 7:10 AM
It just so happens that I'll be out in Irvine tomorrow. Unfortunately, my mid-length upper doesn't have the delta ring assembly installed, and the only MOE hand guards I have are on a carbine length gas system. So close, yet so far.

Might I suggest visiting Rifle Gear and having them take a quick look?

TheYellowDart
09-26-2012, 8:03 AM
It just so happens that I'll be out in Irvine tomorrow. Unfortunately, my mid-length upper doesn't have the delta ring assembly installed, and the only MOE hand guards I have are on a carbine length gas system. So close, yet so far.

Might I suggest visiting Rifle Gear and having them take a quick look?

Darn, that would've been nice :)
That's ok, this will just justify me buying a new file set, have needed one for a while anyhow.

RAMCHARGER
09-26-2012, 8:12 AM
I ended up loosening the front sight post and then slipping it back on. It requires a bit of brute manhandling to get it all snug. Grab it with your fist and slam the rifle butt on the carpet up and down a few times. But once its on there its rock solid, way better than the loose OEM handguard that myine came with.

RAMCHARGER
09-26-2012, 8:15 AM
Here's mine

SoCalXD
09-26-2012, 8:23 AM
Ah man, I was getting ready to ship you my unused moe until I saw the word "Mid"..
. Mine's a carbine.
It sounds & looks like something isnt right. If the previous handguard set fit okay, Id say the problem is with the Moe. Magpul would probsbly ship you a new one, possibly without even a return, if you call them and walk them to your photo site so they can view your photos. I pesonally would just breakout my Dremmel and either fix it or destroy it trying, but Im a risk taker so that might not be a good suggestion. Good luck and thanks for the detailed writeup and photos... most ppl would just snap a fuzzy photo and say "it doesnt fit!?!"

RAMCHARGER
09-26-2012, 8:28 AM
I'm getting to that point...
I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person having this problem, so before I start altering the handguard I'd like to be sure I've tried everything else.

Thanks, I have an HBAR so I thought this might be it... but alas no, the heat shield isn't the problem.

Yup, top end first then bottom.

& I'm out in Orange County, Irvine, if anyone has a middy MOE they're willing to take a chance on... let me know.

You can look at mine but it aint comming off... Once its on there... its on there.

DFF
09-26-2012, 8:54 AM
I just removed my Middy MOE guards and held them as you did and they where able to be rocked like yours (due to the heat shield), but when installed, there's no issue with fit. From the top view, I can see your delta ring is a bit crooked. If its crooked only with the guards on, then they're probably a bit out of spec.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg514/sebring2005/AR/DSC02322_zps3763f2f7.jpg

TheYellowDart
09-28-2012, 8:26 PM
I ended up loosening the front sight post and then slipping it back on. It requires a bit of brute manhandling to get it all snug. Grab it with your fist and slam the rifle butt on the carpet up and down a few times. But once its on there its rock solid, way better than the loose OEM handguard that myine came with.

I thought about moving the front sight base, but was concerned about obstructing the gas flow and potentially causing cycling problems. Did you notice issues?

I just removed my Middy MOE guards and held them as you did and they where able to be rocked like yours (due to the heat shield), but when installed, there's no issue with fit. From the top view, I can see your delta ring is a bit crooked. If its crooked only with the guards on, then they're probably a bit out of spec.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg514/sebring2005/AR/DSC02322_zps3763f2f7.jpg

I pressed mine together with a vice and some wood blocks... it looks more or less like yours now. Not 100% flush at the rear, but pretty close.