PDA

View Full Version : On that September 11 - Were You Prepared?

Ripon83
09-25-2012, 1:05 PM
When the twin towers were hit and the tragedy settled in were you a prepper then? Were you prepared? What were your thoughts?

I was thinking this reading a short story about a terrorist attack on America in our time, and thinking how prepared I am now vs then. The fact is I was woefully unprepared then, and worried about it. I didn't think that it was over for quite some time. In fact I got angry with my wife that night for acting like "nothing" happened to some extent - though I didn't rush out to a store and try to buy a ton of stuff either.

I'm just asking - if you were prepared then - what was your mind set? Just watch and wait? Bug out? Prepare to bug in? Nothing?

TheExiled
09-25-2012, 1:30 PM
I was in middle school ;)

However in my young age(and having no money) I did have what I could to be prepared that my mother would allow, such as canned and dry foods and water in the garage(She didnt want guns in the house after my dad left)

Although I was thinking more on the lines of earthquakes

Lifeon2whls
09-25-2012, 3:47 PM
I didn't see a reason to be prepared for anything. Tragedy aside, it was a localized event that didn't show any sign of happening elsewhere. Had we been attacked by some other country, then sure I would have worried about it as the situation certainly could have spread but terrorist events are typically very localized, even though it effected everyone emotionally nation wide.

The only thing I am really preparing for is an Earthquake or similar type of disaster.

chris
09-25-2012, 5:22 PM
i was at work when it happened and for prepared no. i did call my unit to see if we were on alert for anything. glued to the radio like everyone at the shop that day.

snubbyfan
09-25-2012, 5:55 PM
My wife worked in a Government office across the street from the Pentagon. Only she wasn't at her office, she was downtown at a Military headquarters and I couldn't get in touch with her. They finally let her call my cell and let me know she was ok. She walked out of the smoke to the Toyota parts dept. I worked at because traffic was at a standstill. We went to the Mexican place, hung out, had some dinner and drank beer.
The next day I dropped her off in a cloud of smoke coming off the Pantagon, went to work and sold parts to terrorists, crackheads and bureacrats. Then we went home to our nasty little overpriced apartment, "We got to get out of this place," started playing on the radio. So, we packed up, relocated to the mountains of WV, bought guns, ammo and supplies, got our ccw's and never looked back.

stix213
09-25-2012, 5:58 PM
Was not

My girl refused to even allow me to store extra stuff because she thought the need to do so was simply non-existent - even after 9/11. She is gone now and replaced with being able to at least last a couple months.

ExAcHog
09-25-2012, 6:36 PM
I would say I was about 50% as prepared then. Growing up in CA, my dad impressed upon me the need to have a earthquake kit. Then after spending 10 years in Florida with hurricanes and floods, I morphed that earthquake kit into a larger and better kit.

For me it was really Hurricane Katrina that turned me into a serious prepper. Now I would gauge my level of preperation at about 75%.

11HE9
09-25-2012, 9:52 PM
I was standing in my kitchen, half asleep. I was staring at the tv, listening to Matt Lauer ramble about a airplane hitting one of the towers. As I waited for the coffee maker to stop dripping, the second plane came into view.

After informing the Mrs we were under attack, I did a quick inventory. I was not pleased with my results. From that point, I decided to make sure I had what I felt was needed to keep family safe & secure in the future.

My wife doesn't completely understand everything I do, but she does understand why.

The War Wagon
09-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I was.

We'd just moved to Ft. Wayne, IN weeks earlier. I spent that afternoon and evening, loading mags, and watching the news...

Toyman321
09-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I was in college at the time, my roommate knocked on my door and yelled "were being bombed by the Chinese" (not the brightest). At the time being a college student with no money I had enough canned goods to keep me fed for a month, a supply of water, first aid equipment and a .22. My dad had always impressed upon all of us the need to be prepared for an earthquake. I had thought I was ill prepared until realizing that most of my college friends had nothing prepared for even the slightest mishap. Fifteen days after 9/11 I turned 21, most 21 year old's go out drinking, I bought an XD-9. My dad, bring the worrier soon after showed up with gas masks, filter cartridges, plastic sheeting and other supplies. Ever since I have been far more prepared.

Lone_Gunman
09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Was not. I had been married for 2 months and prepping was the last thing on my mind. I did have one gun and some ammo but that's about it. No stored food or water, no preps at all and no room in our tiny first apartment.

Chaparral
09-26-2012, 7:53 AM
Had two dozen guns and a little over a thousand rounds plus a few weeks of water and food.

Would have loaded up the FAL and pulled guard duty at a refinery or hospital had the govt asked me. Wished I was 18 and without a career or business at the time so I could've enlisted.

rob86
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I was in middle school and had no idea what the heck was going on. After I got home my dad said son I think its time to show you some things. So the next weekend he and my grandpa took me out shooting and teaching me how to prepare. But what really got me into prepping was when San Diego had a power outage for a day. I realized how much people rely on electricity and realized that I was not prepared at all for no electricity.

Sunday
09-26-2012, 4:41 PM
Prepared for what? The first thought that came to me was ,,,No wonder Bill Clinton turned down a prestigious free office in the WTC.

Ripon83
09-26-2012, 5:42 PM
Just interested in what people thought. If the events of that day or any terrorist attack for that matter weigh into preparing. I know most prepared for earth quakes, storms, and floods. Some prepare for economic failure (I do) but the volume of anti America rhetoric in the Middle East today had me thinking - will they keep banging on the walls of our embassies or bring it too us? Is America prepared for that - I don't think so.

rob86
09-26-2012, 8:18 PM
The middle east people are just crazy. They have a totally different mindset and I think with technology making the world smaller and smaller it will make the U.S. have a major war with the whole middle east some time or another.

whlgun
09-26-2012, 9:08 PM
I was in the 12th grade and very unprepared. I am know getting more prepared and trying to get my family prepared as well.

CenterMass90068
09-26-2012, 9:29 PM
Had a couple firearms, lots of ammo, fishing gear, some old military WEB gear, a good first-aid kit and pack, family and friends close by and all were armed (some heavily), a 4X4 Trooper, access to a friends land...that was about the extent of it. I was good to go...

Supertac916
09-27-2012, 7:34 AM
I was in college at the time and living at my parents. We had enough food, water, etc. to last our family of four for at least 2 months. My mom isn't a prepper, but has always stashed food for some reason. Guns and ammo were taken care of because my Dad had plenty of guns and I was a CJ major and worked at the local range. Guess where my paychecks went too...lol (Guns and ammo)

I remember waking up and watching the t.v. trying to let everything sink in. Watching people jump from their offices and the towers collapsing. I didn't immediate rush and start loading mags nor did I think of running to the store to get supplies.

Gothboy
11-18-2012, 9:46 PM
At that point in time I was a blissful little naive hard working American idiot just trying to make ends meet. Was i prepared? The only thing I was prepared for was lots of vodka on Friday nights. When I was at work that day watching the news, and trying to figure out why the third tower fell when nothing hit it I grew concerned. Over the next few days I kept watching it over and over. Why did the towers blow out from the bottom when they were hit at the top? Why did they collapse inwards on themselves and not fall over?
Yes I grew VERY concerned. I also learned that here in downtown long beach renting a place is not conducive to prepping very much. Finally I am about at a place in my life where the worry I felt that day about what I believe to be a governmental tool to leverage us into a war can finally materialize into something. I can actually prep now. It's taken many years to get here but I bought a trailer to load with supplies, I'm working on my bug out vehicle, I have a girl who feels EXACTLY the same way about 9-11 that I do, and shortly well be over out of state together, to actually be ready for this engineered financial collapse. My only worry is really about the people in charge. They worry me. Natural disasters are a good excuse to be ready but not the real reason for us. I have also convinced my bro in law to start prepping aswell. If I can help someone be ready, then I feel better about my situation should everything go to hell.

therealnickb
11-18-2012, 10:24 PM
When the twin towers were hit and the tragedy settled in were you a prepper then? Were you prepared? What were your thoughts?

I was thinking this reading a short story about a terrorist attack on America in our time, and thinking how prepared I am now vs then. The fact is I was woefully unprepared then, and worried about it. I didn't think that it was over for quite some time. In fact I got angry with my wife that night for acting like "nothing" happened to some extent - though I didn't rush out to a store and try to buy a ton of stuff either.

I'm just asking - if you were prepared then - what was your mind set? Just watch and wait? Bug out? Prepare to bug in? Nothing?

Prepper? No.
Prepared? Sort of.
My thoughts where WTF? I expect not that dissimilar from most.

Now, how would you propose one "prep" for a plane hitting the building in which you are working?

Bill Carson
11-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I was 38 and not prepared, not like I am now.

all torque
11-18-2012, 11:03 PM
No I was in Darwin Australia. But I had 1500 other Marines (15th MEU) with me and we made a little trip over to Afghanistan to show them how we felt about it. What got me prepping where all the earthquakes happening around the world a few years back.

Yehosha
11-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I was prepping, but it was definitely inadequate. I had no GHBs or BOBs. My water and food supply were insufficient. All of that and more has changed and I sleep better at night.

paul0660
11-19-2012, 10:36 AM
911 was localized. In fact if you weren't on a targeted airliner or a tall building you just had a long walk. Even the NY muggers were shocked that day.

Earthquake and hurricane, tornado, riot..........etc. Prep is time specific. Maybe two weeks until we are eating the dregs. We do have water.

kaligaran
11-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I think the OP means, had you been in the impacted area, would you have been prepared to handle the situation.

Me, definitly not.
I was 22 and had plenty of other more 'important' things to think about at the time.

calif 15-22
11-19-2012, 2:24 PM
At that time in my life I was not prepared. Was more worried about paying bills and buying a house.

9/11 was a turning point for me to start. Not because of the specific event but because of how vunerable we seemed.

NytWolf
11-19-2012, 2:31 PM
I wasn't, but some of the people I know who drank the Y2K kool-aid, and didn't sell their stuff off yet, were still prepared.

SamIAm
11-19-2012, 5:29 PM
Had all my stuff from Y2K, so pretty prepared. Of course, after the anthrax scare a few weeks later, I having to add some more things onto my checklist (Cipro, for example)

shortyforty
11-19-2012, 8:57 PM
As far as food and water- negative. Firearms and ammo yes only because I was a really active shooter at the time. Definitely not because I was expecting a disaster or some type of attack. I got mentally prepped for battle in the streets in a hurry. I was angry. Watching the muslims on TV dancing in the streets celebrating the death of our citizens really pissed me off. I was a business owner at the time. My store was located in a "strip mall" adjacent to a Iraqi owned liquor store. I only had a few words with the liquor store owner prior to 9-11. I definitely thought of him in a different light post 9-11. He was openly muslim and played arabic music in his store constantly. One of my customers said to me that his music was quite jubilant and the news showing the attacks was on television in the background. Some have stated here that 9-11 was localized but I didn't see it that way at the time nor do I see it that way now. There were multiple planes down in multiple locations and we didn't know what their next move was going to be. My perception of muslims was changed forever.

OIFVet03
12-13-2012, 6:10 PM
I watched it on tv at MEPS. I was supposed to go to basic training that day. Didn't actually leave for like 4 days after that.

ogarcia_02
12-13-2012, 6:20 PM
I was in high school Engligh class, too busy playing pocket pool to even know what prepping was lol.

Cali-Glock
12-13-2012, 7:09 PM
Prepared for what?
Prepared enough? No...

Generally prepared? More so than typical sheep anyway? Yes. I started in prepping during the late 1970s, did not do much in the way of prepping in the 1980s and got back into it in the early 1990s.

I was not surprised on 9/11/01 for more than 20 years I had been asking out loud why radical Islamists were not more actively attacking us on our own soil.

chris
12-13-2012, 8:11 PM
I was not surprised on 9/11/01 for more than 20 years I had been asking out loud why radical Islamists were not more actively attacking us on our own soil.

and they will do so again in the future as to when is anyone's guess.