PDA

View Full Version : Which lower parts kit?

xtian13
09-25-2012, 7:43 AM
Put my first lower in jail over the weekend. Trying to decide on which LPK to go with. Keep in mind, this is my first AR and my first build. Doing it all myself unless I run in to trouble. (then I call a friend who has some smithing experience)

Since it's a Stag Lower, my first thought was to keep it Stag and assume that the parts may fit better.

But after doing some research, I see that RRA's 2-Stage is super popular. I don't mind paying the extra if it's worth it, but at the same time I don't want to spend extra money on something that's not noticeable.

Another thing I liked about the RRA that I saw online, assuming this still holds true, is that their roll pins are designed better than most other kits.

I'd like my LPK to be of good quality since it's my first AR15, and will probably be my go home defense weapon until I get myself a pistol or shotgun.

baih777
09-25-2012, 8:41 AM
if you can find the RRA parts kit with two stage trigger get it.

JayBeeJay
09-25-2012, 8:51 AM
You'll be good to go with RRA, Armalite, DD, Stag, CMMG, DPMS or whatever LPK you can find from a reputable company. As for the RRA 2-stage it's a decent trigger for the price, but if you plan to get a good trigger in the future I would skip it.

deviljon
09-25-2012, 8:56 AM
I would skip the RRA 2-stage and see how you like the stock trigger. I've used several PSA lower parts/build kits and they're awesome.

SigSauerP226
09-25-2012, 9:52 AM
I've used several PSA lower parts/build kits and they're awesome.

They are also on sale for $40 (from $55), just ordered one last night myself for my first build. I've read they are good quality LPKs and haven't seen another LPK near that price. (Just glad I waited a little while and got a good sale :D)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lpk.html

deviljon
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
They are also on sale for $40 (from $55), just ordered one last night myself for my first build. I've read they are good quality LPKs and haven't seen another LPK near that price. (Just glad I waited a little while and got a good sale :D)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lpk.html

Or the MOE version for $50:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-gen-2-moe-lpk.html

stix213
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
if you can find the RRA parts kit with two stage trigger get it.

This ^^^ If you can afford the RRA two stage NM kit go with that. The RRA single stage isn't bad either. On the low price range the CMMG kit was great for me too.

I used a bushmaster kit for my first build and the trigger was terrible. Replaced the trigger with the RRA 2 stage recently.

Arkangel
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I like the PSA build kits, this is my next purchase:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/psa-str-lower-build-kit.html

RECCE556
09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Skip the RRA 2-stage trigger. It'll loose it's first stage with moderate use. If you want a quality match 2-stage trigger, buy a Giessele or the ATC AR Gold. As for LPK's, I would recommend the following: Colt, DD, PSA. I would also consider these if the first three aren't available: RRA and Spikes. I would AVOID DPMS. As for Stag/CMT and CMMG, I haven't seen enough of them to make a judgement (by enough, I mean at least 25 sets)

noob_tube
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I've got an RRA LPK and a Spikes BattleTrigger in my rifle and I love them both. If you insist on getting a two stage trigger, go with the Geissele.

Also, don't forget to get a bullet button if you're not going featureless.

AeroEngi
09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Skip the RRA 2-stage trigger. It'll loose it's first stage with moderate use. If you want a quality match 2-stage trigger, buy a Giessele or the ATC AR Gold. As for LPK's, I would recommend the following: Colt, DD, PSA. I would also consider these if the first three aren't available: RRA and Spikes. I would AVOID DPMS. As for Stag/CMT and CMMG, I haven't seen enough of them to make a judgement (by enough, I mean at least 25 sets)

What's wrong with the DPMS LPK? I have it in my AR and I have no complaints at all.

the86d
09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I got a Bushmaster, because it was offered by the vendor, but I would have ZERO problems putting in a Spikes (have, but have not built the rifle yet), DPMS, or any other to start with. I say go cheap, see if it has problems, then trade-up if you need to, as you would if a higher-priced one. If it starts to have problems, swap it.

RECCE556
09-25-2012, 1:07 PM
What's wrong with the DPMS LPK? I have it in my AR and I have no complaints at all.
I've installed literally hundreds of LPK's and many more have passed through my hands. DPMS kits were the most inconsistent of any LPK I've run across. Missing parts, out of spec parts (pins that are too large, incompletely machined parts, etc.), sub-standard quality parts (poor grade metal/process), etc.

Also, in the various carbine courses I take, I always bring a box of spares parts (which in many, many years, I've never had to personally use...but you never know) and sure as the sun shines, I've ended up fixing someones' "it's just as good as Colt/DD/BCM/etc. for less money" carbine. Olympic Arms, DPMS, Bushmaster and other 3rd/4th tier vendors are most common. The only 1st tier one I had to fix was some guy's vintage Colt AR

Not to say that all their kits are all junk or that they wouldn't work but why buy questionable DPMS LPK's when you can buy from a vendor like PSA (for less money in many cases) that sources parts from known quality manufacturers?

RECCE556
09-25-2012, 1:08 PM
I got a Bushmaster, because it was offered by the vendor, but I would have ZERO problems putting in a Spikes (have, but have not built the rifle yet), DPMS, or any other to start with. I say go cheap, see if it has problems, then trade-up if you need to, as you would if a higher-priced one. If it starts to have problems, swap it.
Why not just buy quality from the start and not futz with it?

Folks, this isn't about how much it costs. It's about QUALITY. As I've stated before, PSA puts together a GREAT parts kit and they're generally cheaper than most other brands, including DPMS. I don't understand why anyone would want to spend the same or more money for less quality.

CK_32
09-25-2012, 1:15 PM
My DPMS LPK has tan through about 2 uppers an 5k+ rounds with no issues yet..

Stag/spikes/RRA and such would probably run the same.

xtian13
09-25-2012, 5:36 PM
thank you all for the good responses. i will continue to research.

right now i'm leaning towards the PSA, but still considering the RRA. not really a matter of me being cheap, but deciding whether or not 2-Stage is necessary.

only reason i'm leaning towards the PSA is that i can buy two kits for now and have spare parts. (just in case) if I go RRA, I'd have to wait another paycheck to buy an extra one for spare parts. plus it seems as though Geiselle gets the best reviews on 2-Stage triggers, so maybe i could add a Geiselle trigger kit if I feel like upgrading it in the future?

i also plan on doing appleseed..probably with my .22 but will consider the AR if it's ready by then.

JayBeeJay
09-25-2012, 5:45 PM
PSA + Geissele and your done.

bearj
09-25-2012, 5:57 PM
check out http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html
he has the best price and fast shipping on the RRA with the two stage trigger. i like mine

RECCE556
09-26-2012, 1:40 PM
right now i'm leaning towards the PSA, but still considering the RRA. not really a matter of me being cheap, but deciding whether or not 2-Stage is necessary.
For target shooting, I like two stage. Even for "combat AR", I like two stage and if someone made a decent two stage trigger that was the same weight as a factory AR trigger, I would consider it as I don't like "light" triggers for a "combat AR".

Whether or not a two stage trigger is right for you is something you'll have to decide for yourself (and your application) but trust me on this, AVOID the RRA trigger. It's just not durable for anything other than light range use. Once you start hammering it, it goes tango uniform. So much so that WOA offers a service "fix" for it. I had to re-profile the ones I had and then harden them as they all went down. Ended up sticking them in my "non-important" AR's like my .22LR and my 9mm. The basic two stage SSA Giessele is the way to go. Very solid. I would also avoid the KAC and LMT two stage triggers. It's not about cost or brand, it's about durability and Giesseles have it in spades.

762.DEFENSE
09-26-2012, 2:24 PM
I would skip the RRA 2-stage and see how you like the stock trigger. I've used several PSA lower parts/build kits and they're awesome.

I second that.

Charlie Foxtrot
09-26-2012, 8:29 PM
I've a Stag receiver also. I used the DPMS LPK in the build, my first, and had zero problems. I chose DPMS based on the recommendations of a couple of many time AR builders - and it's availability at Midway.

The Prince 50 Bullet Button installed easily too.

Now, it's time to spec out the upper...

xtian13
09-26-2012, 9:33 PM
I've a Stag receiver also. I used the DPMS LPK in the build, my first, and had zero problems. I chose DPMS based on the recommendations of a couple of many time AR builders - and it's availability at Midway.

The Prince 50 Bullet Button installed easily too.

Now, it's time to spec out the upper...

Yeah..haven't decided on the upper yet. Ordering LPK and a punch set tonight. Just need a buttstock and I think I'll have a complete lower. (oh, i guess i'll need a magazine too if i plan on shooting this thing :rolleyes:duhh)

deviljon
09-26-2012, 9:47 PM
Don't forget the buffer tube assembly!

Do you have vice grips at home by any chance? In my opinion it makes the roll pins much easier to install.

Chaos47
09-26-2012, 9:50 PM
Or the MOE version for $50:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-gen-2-moe-lpk.html

This^

KIDRR
09-26-2012, 9:54 PM
PSA + Geissele and your done.

This. The SSA trigger is what you want. I'm running the PSA + Geissele on my Varmint build and it's awesome. The Rock River 2 stage is 3rd rate compared to the Geissele trigger.

xtian13
09-26-2012, 9:57 PM
I ended up doing the MOE for $50. I like the idea of having an extra Bolt and Firing Pin in case of emergency.

xtian13
09-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Don't forget the buffer tube assembly!

Do you have vice grips at home by any chance? In my opinion it makes the roll pins much easier to install.

No vice grips, but my buddy has pretty much all the tools and work area we need, so I decided to wait on the punch tools and any others for now.

So my first AR will be built by me, and I'm pretty excited! I figure it will "feel right" since I assembled it?

If not I guess I can change it around a bit until I like how it feels.

Can't wait to see how it shoots compared to my .22 rifle.

deviljon
09-26-2012, 10:39 PM
The lower is easy to assemble, but you get a great sense of satisfaction and feel very accomplished once it's all done.

I put my first one together less than a year ago. Had a buddy help me and it still took 2 hours lol. Now I can assemble one alone in 30 minutes or less. It does get rather addicting.

Do you plan on putting together the upper yourself? You'll need some more tools, but they're good tools to own if you like to tinker and swap parts out.

xtian13
09-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I figured I'd get the upper already assembled..that way it's just a matter of putting the two together. But maybe I'll change my mind..we'll see.

bloodhawke83
09-26-2012, 11:04 PM
I've used two standard dpms lpk, next two will be a mix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mindwreck
09-26-2012, 11:25 PM
PSA LPKS are good to go. I bought 4 of them all at different times. They all had pretty good triggers. fit and finish is great for 40 bucks

xtian13
10-02-2012, 2:26 AM
well, my lower gets out of jail today!!! woohoo! i'll either update this thread as i get the parts together and start building, or i'll start a new one.

thanks again for all the recommendations. hopefully my LPK gets here soon..can't wait to get started!!