PDA

View Full Version : A2 front sight removal HELP!

James510
09-24-2012, 8:35 PM
Hey guy I am trying to remove my A2 front sight from my AR-15 and I can't get it off to save my life. My sight has 4 little screws holding it and the gas tube pin. I removed them and I tried tapping it off the barrel then pounding on it and it just won't move. Is there anything that I am forgetting? Any suggestions?

bluebird
09-24-2012, 8:50 PM
I thought the FSB only has 2 pins that secures it to the barrel? I took them off and it was easy to hammer the FSB loose (well the pins were a PITA though)

James510
09-24-2012, 8:54 PM
mines has two small allen screws on each side of it

readysetgo
09-24-2012, 9:00 PM
Gonna need pics or you're going to get wild darts of suggestions, starting with "did you lube it"?

eta: At least give some more detailed specs, for example what make and model, or if home built what brand and model of parts, front sight, barrel etc.
Also, I said "lube it" in slight jest but that might actually be one of the solutions (if every mechanical stop has been removed).

ar15barrels
09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Typically, when a front sight base is installed with 4 setscrews like you describe, there is also loctite retaining the front sight base to the barrel.
If that's the case, you are gonna need to heat it up over 350 degrees to break the loctite down.
Tap the front sight with a nylon or leather faced hammer while it's hot and the sight should come loose and be easy to remove assuming you have already removed the 4 or 5 set screws.
Any chance you missed a 5th setscrew thats on the bottom?

ch3ck5ix
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM
My A2 front sight has (4) 1/16" set screws -- 2 on each side AND (1) 5/64" set screw underneath between the swivel sling ears. As Randall said, check to make sure you didn't miss that 5th set screw!

Fate
09-25-2012, 4:27 PM
Typically, when a front sight base is installed with 4 setscrews like you describe, there is also loctite retaining the front sight base to the barrel.
If that's the case, you are gonna need to heat it up over 350 degrees to break the loctite down.
Tap the front sight with a nylon or leather faced hammer while it's hot and the sight should come loose and be easy to remove assuming you have already removed the 4 or 5 set screws.
Any chance you missed a 5th setscrew thats on the bottom?

So glad to have ya back, Randall.