PDA

View Full Version : what do I need

calixt0
09-24-2012, 7:50 PM
Ok guys I'm wanting more accuracy out of my ar. I have a 16" dpms bull barrel upper. I was thinking about a new barrel maybe about 18" keeps the flexibility of and ease of carry for jack rabbit hunting (yes i've done it already outside of reno) but more accuracy.

questions:
1) should I get a longer barrel/forget longer just get better quality?
2) forget the barrel and just go free float?
3) If I update the barrel I want to do the free float tube also if going to 18" lengthen my gas length?
4) suggest your option of what I should do?

Stockton
09-24-2012, 7:56 PM
What accuracy do you get now that you want better? I suggest you work with ammo before you work on rifle. You may have a shooter already and you just need to make the ends meet.

calixt0
09-24-2012, 8:08 PM
What accuracy do you get now that you want better? I suggest you work with ammo before you work on rifle. You may have a shooter already and you just need to make the ends meet.

I'm a pretty proficient shooter. I've tried all the different ammo I can find and am only getting about 2.5" at 100 yards.

Stockton
09-24-2012, 8:15 PM
2.5" @ 100 prone or bench?
Supported or unsupported? If supported what type? Bipod, Sandbags
What is the twist rate of your barrel?
What weight range of bullets have you tried? ie..40gr, 52gr, 62gr, 75gr etc etc

calixt0
09-24-2012, 8:21 PM
2.5" from bench off bipod and supported by bags in the rear. Its a 1-9 barrel I've tried 45gr, 55gr, and 62gr. loads as well as some hand loads.

FMJBT
09-24-2012, 8:29 PM
If it's not free floated already, that would be priority #2 on my list, right behind ammo selection. Try some 69 grain match loads from Federal or Black Hills, they should work pretty well out of a 1-9 twist.

Also, what optics are you currently using? All the precision in the world means nothing if it's being guided with optics that have poor mechanical adjustments or bad glass.

Stockton
09-24-2012, 8:33 PM
1. Put a towel or carpet under bipod feet to remove hop.
2. Use a sandbag instead of bipod for dialing in accuracy.

Those barrels aren't that bad from what i've seen and shot personally. The 1:9 is a turnoff for me. Your lighter ammo (40-42gr) should shine in that twist rate.

If the above doesn't help you out for free then I'd go to replacing parts.

Free floating is always a step in the right direction. Barrel swap is great as long as youre getting a better rated barrel. 16" is good. Longer will yield higher velocities. Twist rates will play a large role in type of bullet you wanna shoot.

damon1272
09-24-2012, 8:36 PM
I personally would look to free float the barrel first. I experienced the same thing till I free floated mine. With 55 grn handloads I am getting 3/4" groups out of my RRA.

calixt0
09-24-2012, 8:40 PM
I try the above listed stuff... To answer the optics question I've tried several. When going for a good accuracy I've was using a good sightron 6x24 x 42mm. I questioned that myself and have taken it back and it to my other 223 bolt gun and it worked fine (5 shots covered by a dime from 100 yards). I like to 45 to 55 gr pills but like the options in the 60's for some 500 yard playing.. just for kicks...

FMJBT
09-24-2012, 9:52 PM
I'll give you the same advice I give pretty much everyone who wants to build an AR for accuracy, long range, target, varmint hunting, door kicking, biathalon running, tactical rolling, smoke jumping, etc. :

Build an SPR

An 18" 1:8 or 1:7 twist stainless barrel with rifle length gas is IMHO the best option available for all around performance in a 5.56 cartridge. It doesn't especially excel at any one task, but it does everything reasonably well. Most reputable manufacturers of 18" SPR style barrels are cranking out barrels that will shoot 1 moa or better with match ammo or handloads. Even the MK-12 barrel from DPMS will get around 1 moa. White Oak, Rainier Ultra Match, and several others will shoot sub moa routinely.