PDA

View Full Version : Advice/suggestions for hunting AR build?

pumpkinshooter
09-24-2012, 7:31 PM
I am planning to build an ar (my first) in the next month or two. Its main use will be for coyote hunting but also as a plinking/fun gun. I am thinking 16" barrel to help keep it compact and light but i know nothing about carbine,mid length, rifle , etc. Which twist rate is best for non lead ammo? Any particular set-ups better suited to hunting? Is it possible to use two different optics on quick detach mounts and not need to re sight in when changing? Any and al suggestions appreciated.

sigstroker
09-25-2012, 12:46 AM
.223 is just fine for coyotes. It's also going to be the easiest to find and the cheapest. The long copper bullets like the Barnes supposedly work fine in 1 in 9 twist (Bushmaster standard) but would work better in 1 in 7 (Colt standard).

You will want to get one without a fixed front sight because it will interfere with the scope. You don't need a front sight anyway for hunting or plinking.

jgraham15
09-25-2012, 1:03 AM
.223 is just fine for coyotes. It's also going to be the easiest to find and the cheapest. The long copper bullets like the Barnes supposedly work fine in 1 in 9 twist (Bushmaster standard) but would work better in 1 in 7 (Colt standard).

You will want to get one without a fixed front sight because it will interfere with the scope. You don't need a front sight anyway for hunting or plinking.

Here's a great thread on the Barnes TSX bullets.

ETA: Thread looks like it's been archived and may only be able to be seen by AR15.com team members.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/468247_.html

Quoted from MOLON from AR15.com (see link)

"As I posted previously in this thread, a barrel with a 1:9” twist theoretically will not stabilize the 70 grain TSX. Today, I put the theory to test using a Colt 16” HBAR with a 1:9” twist. This same barrel will marginally stabilize the Hornady 75 grain BTHP, though accuracy is slightly diminished compared to a 1:7” twist Colt HBAR.

I fired a 10-shot group of the 70 grain TSX round at a distance of 100 yards using the 1:9” twist barrel. Accuracy was terrible; the group had an extreme spread of over 3 inches. Several of the bullet holes were slightly oblong in shape and a coulple of the bullet holes were clearly “key-holed” demonstrating that a 1:9” twist barrel will indeed not stabilize the 70 grain TSX."

pumpkinshooter
09-25-2012, 3:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the 1in 7 barrel may be the way to go. Would I be giving up anything using a 16" barrel compared to something longer?