PDA

View Full Version : Which AR pistol buffer from Exile Machine

BranNutz
09-24-2012, 4:47 PM
I noticed Exile Machine LLC, just restocked today so what buffer tube would you all get between the PWS, Phase 5 Tactical, or the Spikes?

I have heard some buffers have reliability issues with shorter uppers.

I plan to use this with a 7" or 10.5" upper if that makes a difference

joelberg
09-24-2012, 5:01 PM
I went with the Doublestar, and it required a little bit of fitting (I had to trim a couple mm off the threaded end because it was bottoming out on the buffer detent, even with end plate adapter.

Seems solid though and Exile was good when I spoke with the CEO on the phone. I don't mind having to do a little bit of fitting for a custom build.

Exile Machine
09-24-2012, 5:36 PM
Yep, got a buncha tubes in today.

We're trying hard to be a 1-stop shop for all things pistol buffer...

Assuming price is no object, first thing you have to ask yourself is do you need a QD sling socket? Are you planning to attach a sling to the rear of the tube?

If yes, you have one choice and that's Spike's. Spike's is the only tube we carry that has the QD sling socket at the rear. PWS has dual QD sling sockets left and right but they're mounted near the back of the receiver. The Phase 5 has no QD sling sockets at all. It's a very clean look.

Each of the three tubes in the OP have a positive locking system (Castle nut & Plate for Spikes & Phase 5, proprietary attachment system for PWS). Each work with a carbine spring and buffer.

PWS attachment system allows for a very high degree of adjustment.

PWS is a smaller diameter tube, and allows for use of a wider size range of foam covers but currently the only rubber covers we produce for this tube are black.

With Spike's and Phase 5 you could put on an FDE rubber cover if you like.

Phase 5 and PWS both come standard with a foam cover.

Spike's and PWS have no markings. Phase 5 has the Phase 5 logo and the word PISTOL laser etched in white on the left hand side. These markings can be covered with a 5" rubber cover (covers the word PISTOL but leaves the logo visible) or a 6" rubber cover (covers everything).

Any other questions let me know...
-Mark

Arkangel
09-24-2012, 6:02 PM
^^^ Great info, thanks.

deviljon
09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I had an RRA pistol buffer tube and sold it to get the Spikes. The RRA version simply screws in to the receiver.

What I like about the ST tube is that it uses a standard castle nut, letting you choose between different receiver end plates. Also feels more secure than just a simple screw on buffer tube.

I have 2 from Spikes now, both using the EM foam rubber covers. They look and feel great!

bloodhawke83
09-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm getting the ST tube next month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BranNutz
09-25-2012, 1:22 AM
Mark, thanks so much for dropping in with that info. It's another thread I saw you help with that made me want to do business with you in the first place, that's just great customer service.

Can you tell me if all 3 of those tubes are equal in length?

I would like to be able to achieve a 26" OAL when using a 10.5" barrel setup.

Exile Machine
09-25-2012, 8:26 AM
Mark, thanks so much for dropping in with that info. It's another thread I saw you help with that made me want to do business with you in the first place, that's just great customer service.

Can you tell me if all 3 of those tubes are equal in length?

I would like to be able to achieve a 26" OAL when using a 10.5" barrel setup.

Howdy, glad to be of help.

The Phase 5 tube is 7 3/8" long, Spikes is 7.75" long, PWS is 7.75" long.

MrPlink
09-25-2012, 2:21 PM
26in oal (by fed definition) can be tough with a 10.5in bbl and std buffer extension. I have a 10.5 with a modified rifle extension and it is just over 27in. Keep in mind, you cant count the end of your muzzle device when trying to hit 26in oal unless it is permanently pinned.

BranNutz
09-26-2012, 7:57 PM
26in oal (by fed definition) can be tough with a 10.5in bbl and std buffer extension. I have a 10.5 with a modified rifle extension and it is just over 27in. Keep in mind, you cant count the end of your muzzle device when trying to hit 26in oal unless it is permanently pinned.

Aren't we required in CA to have the flash hiders pinned anyways, or does that go for rifles only?

MrPlink
09-26-2012, 8:25 PM
No requirement to pin FH in state unless:

It is being done on a pistol to avoid AW status (ie a regular handgun with a threaded barrel.)

Or (this is fed law) in order to get your barrel over 16in to avoid creating an illegal sbr

saki302
09-27-2012, 2:06 AM
Just a heads up-

Any receiver end plate can be used with the RRA pistol buffer tube, but you must grind down the 'pin' part that protrudes up into the buffer slot on the carbine tubes.

I was able to get a VLTOR sling plate to work fine with a RRA tube. The RRA tube needed a strap wrench to get nice and tight, but it works great now.

-Dave

Exile Machine
09-27-2012, 4:07 AM
Any receiver end plate can be used with the RRA pistol buffer tube, but you must grind down the 'pin' part that protrudes up into the buffer slot on the carbine tubes.

Good point. The plates we sell with the RRA, DoubleStar, and Quentin Defense tubes are already pre-modified to have this nub ground down and a shot of spray primer applied to prevent rust. Spike's, PWS, and Phase 5 tubes take an unmodified plate.