PDA

View Full Version : I want to build my own AR-15 HELP PLEASE

PAKALO
09-24-2012, 2:25 PM
So I own one currently shoot it almost every week...love my ar!!! I want to build one now! looking into some brands (stags bravo s&w dd).. Need some references and advice on whats worked well for people. can i buy a upper and have it shipped to me? should i get complete upper? what twist? whats the legal length? Lowers?? do i buy lower and bullet button assembly have it shipped to ffl?? or is there a ca legal complete lower?? should I just buy a lower receiver only??
im all over the place brothers..help me.. i have no clue on where to start and whats the legal way.. any references and advice would be greatly greatly appreciated.

punisheryayarea
09-24-2012, 2:28 PM
For the money I like DD!!!!! Look at there specs dont get any thing less. Just my thought.

CSACANNONEER
09-24-2012, 2:33 PM
A lower is a lower. You just pay more for names, pictures and dealer mark ups. If you want to pay more and get something nicer to build on, order an Addax billet lower and support a long time calgunner and Cal business.

slo5oh
09-24-2012, 2:35 PM
Too many questions at once. You will only get opinions on brands, twist, length etc. You can order a stripped lower from many places and have it shipped to a local FFL. I advise you to find and speak to the FFL first, they may have a better deal for you. Fully assembled lowers, othe than polymer, may be out there, but I havent seen them. Assembling a lower is nothing to be afraid of though.

PAKALO
09-24-2012, 2:35 PM
what do i do when i buy a lower.. it goes to ffl.. do i have to buy bullet button assembly and have them put it on???
and is any upper i find available to ship to my door??

TheExiled
09-24-2012, 2:37 PM
Considering twist rates, keep in mind what kind of ammo you tend to use and where you shoot. I went with a 1x9 and shoot M193 and other 55gr since I cant use 855 at the range I use

kingkev
09-24-2012, 2:39 PM
Here's where I got started when building my AR:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT_ _TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

Then after reading that, I watched all the vids here:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

The aforementioned resources are a good "start". Like TomV mentioned, it took about a month of reading, researching, tears of frustration and anguish, and tears of joy and enlightenment before I made a purchase. :sweatdrop:

CSACANNONEER
09-24-2012, 2:51 PM
what do i do when i buy a lower.. it goes to ffl.. do i have to buy bullet button assembly and have them put it on???
and is any upper i find available to ship to my door??

I suggest learning and understanding the laws a lot better than you appear to BEFORE you go any further. First, yes, you can either make your own lower, buy one from a FFL or buy one from a private party and have it transfered through a FFL. Secondly, while some FFLs might have their own policies regarding magazine locks ("Bullet Button" is one brand of magazine locks), a lower does not require a mag lock on it unless it is a centerfire, semi auto rifle with evil features or a semi auto handgun. There are many legally built AR type rifles which do not need a mag lock to be Ca legal. Please, study the laws a little more. Finally, yes, an upper or any part except the receiver can be shipped directly to your door.

tradecraft
09-24-2012, 2:52 PM
Norcal peninsula? I just listed a Stag 1h upper :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=624012

acaligunner
09-24-2012, 3:06 PM
PAKALO

So I own one currently shoot it almost every week...love my ar!!! I want to build one now! looking into some brands (stags bravo s&w dd).. Need some references and advice on whats worked well for people.

BCM, LMT, There are many different companies. You have to choose between Mil Spec, and non Mil Spec. I would just go with a upper of your choice ( most expensive part ), and mate it to a Mil Spec lower.

can i buy a upper and have it shipped to me?

Yes, or you can buy one over the counter ( no paper work ), from your local gun store.

should i get complete upper? what twist? whats the legal length?

Yes, get a complete upper, unless you have some tools, and the time to put it together.

Twist-- 1/7 is meant more for heavier type bullets, I believe 62 to 77, but can shoot 55gr to 77.

1/8 is also made as an all around twist, also very good choice.

1/9 is made more for the 55-62 gr rounds, if i am not mistaken. All will shoot 223/5.56 but each twist has it's own sweet spot.

Barrel lengths are either going to be 14" with permanent flash suppressor/muzzle brake, or 16". You can buy longer barreled uppers, but those are the shortest you can go here in Ca.

Lowers?? do i buy lower and bullet button assembly have it shipped to ffl?? or is there a ca legal complete lower?? should I just buy a lower receiver only??

You are going to have to DROS the lower, as it's considered the 'firearm'. You may pick any that is 'off list'. You can buy it stripped or complete. The complete comes with lower part kit, buttstock, buffer spring, and buffer tube.

Complete come with 'bullet button' already installed, stripped you put it together. Stripped lowers require that you assemble the lower, which is not that difficult, once you assemble the lower, and the buffer tube, spring, and buttstock, you mate it to a upper, and add a 10 round mag, and you are done, except for that rear sight, hahaha.

im all over the place brothers..help me.. i have no clue on where to start and whats the legal way.. any references and advice would be greatly greatly appreciated.

You have many choices, that is probably what is messing with you. Just take your time and research what you need. It's kinda easy once you pick a lower/upper.

PEEACE...

acaligunner