PDA

View Full Version : .308 Ruger American vs Remington 700 SPS Tactical?

LBDamned
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Both are on sale at Turners... both get good reviews independently - but I'm hoping the good people of CalGuns will offer suggestions on which to get...

the American is $360, the 700 is $500 after rebate... considering cost (value for dollar) - which would be a better choice for first time .308?

ar15barrels
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
It always boils down to one question...
Are you gonna leave it stock, or does the option of upgrading or changing parts in the future interest you?

If you are gonna leave it stock, almost any rifle is fine and you can choose by price if that's important to you.
If you want to upgrade it or change it in the future, NO other make or model has the aftermarket support of a remington 700.

LBDamned
09-24-2012, 3:02 PM
Are you gonna leave it stock, or does the option of upgrading or changing parts in the future interest you?

If you are gonna leave it stock, almost any rifle is fine and you can choose by price if that's important to you.
If you want to upgrade it or change it in the future, NO other make or model has the aftermarket support of a remington 700.

thanks for the response... yes I noticed the 700 has a good aftermarket selection... I'm inclined to get the 700 (after handling both - the American felt more comfortable shouldered, but the 700 seems much more durable, fit & finish seemed more solid)...

I imagine the heavier barrel (and overall weight) of the 700 would reduce felt recoil... the American is very, very light... I could be wrong about the felt recoil though :confused:...

Also, after comparing prices (to Hinterland, Grabagun and Gun Broker), the 700 seems like a better deal (value wise).

ar15barrels
09-24-2012, 4:07 PM
Lightweight barrels are great for hunting where you walk all day and maybe fire 1-2 shots, but horrible for going to the range and plinking 20-60 rounds in a day.
This applies to ALL brands of rifles.

Speedpower
09-24-2012, 6:43 PM
I own both, these 2 are completely different rifles, each serves it's own purpose, the Ruger American is lightweight rifle and is more suitable for hunting, the Remington 700 SPS Tactical is a heavy rifle and more of a bench rest shooter.

by the way the Ruger American being light kicks like a mule!

Colt562
09-24-2012, 7:02 PM
by the way the Ruger American being light kicks like a mule!

+1 for this, my 308 kicks like a mule

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-24-2012, 7:05 PM
thanks for the response... yes I noticed the 700 has a good aftermarket selection... I'm inclined to get the 700 (after handling both - the American felt more comfortable shouldered, but the 700 seems much more durable, fit & finish seemed more solid)...

I imagine the heavier barrel (and overall weight) of the 700 would reduce felt recoil... the American is very, very light... I could be wrong about the felt recoil though :confused:...

Also, after comparing prices (to Hinterland, Grabagun and Gun Broker), the 700 seems like a better deal (value wise).

If i had to choose these rifles. If i was wanting a hunting rifle I would go Ruger, which i was actually considering for a bit, If i want a range gun to shoot many rounds through in a day, and am going to upgrade Remington.

Insert Savage, Howa, Weatherby being superior comments here.

HOLY **** HE IS BACK! I must be under a rock.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
09-24-2012, 7:07 PM
+1 for this, my 308 kicks like a mule

308win has recoil? :confused:

LBDamned
09-24-2012, 9:11 PM
I plan to DROS the 700 tomorrow...