PDA

View Full Version : Building up an AR style rifle

Sailormilan2
09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I am kind of toying with the idea of building up an AR15 type rifle as I currently only have wood and steel rifles (Garand, M14, and M1 Carbines).
Has anyone had any experience with the LRB made lower receivers? Or, failing that, which lower receiver would you recommend?

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8913&dir=

deviljon
09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
That page you linked specifically says no sales to CA. I'd recommend checking with a LGS to save on out of state transfer fees. Is there a specific roll mark you prefer?

Other than the material used, most lower receivers are identical. Some of them have special ambi functions or integrated trigger guards, flared magwells, but nothing that really changes the function of the lower. Just depends how fancy you want to get and what you're willing to spend on it.

Lead Waster
09-24-2012, 1:34 PM
I've heard (and believe) that pretty much any "in spec" lower is as good as any other. Just choose the logo you want, or more sensibly, the price you want to spend.

I don't recall anyone saying "My XYZ Lower is a piece of crap!" (I'm talking aluminum ones here).

762.DEFENSE
09-24-2012, 1:43 PM
Any lower that fits your price range, with the roll mark (logo on the side of the magwell) you like-will be perfect.

It's really personal preference, and determining if the lower is legal to own in CA(see AWB list).

762.DEFENSE
09-24-2012, 1:44 PM
I suggest (from my own experiences) just buy your lower at a CA FFL or gun shop. It's cheaper to do so then dealing with online FFL's, shipping, and FFL added fees, plus the 8% usage tax they add onto your purchase.

Unless you want a certain lower no shops near you have, and can order-or if you have a custom one made and shipped to your FFL.

Best of luck!
:thumbsup:

baih777
09-24-2012, 1:55 PM
Check your local gun store first. If you buy out of state you will be chargesd out of state transfer fee.