PDA

View Full Version : Best budget collapsible AR stock?

Joejitsu
09-23-2012, 9:23 PM
I'm building a budget AR (thinking maybe m4) and getting a bit lost at all the collapsible stock brands. There are some as cheap as $40 on amazon (stock, buffer, etc) and they go as high as the hundreds. I'm definitely wanting to stay on the lower price end but since I don't know brands well I really don't want to end up with a POS than brake 50 rounds in. Any recommendations?

smittty
09-23-2012, 9:38 PM
It might be cheapest to buy the stock and buffer tube as a kit. Shop around and try to only pay shipping once.

In case you might like a fixed stock UTG Leapers has a very nice fixed stock kit complete for about $55.
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Standard-Stock-Assembly/dp/B0044XWQ9C

I have one and I was surprised with how well its made. I love it!

Keep in mind this stock looks better with a mid length handguard than the short carbine handguard.

Magpul just released their MOE fixed stock and I can see guys dropping their adjustable stocks after they realize how much nicer a fixed stock feels.

Anyway, this UTG kit is as good as they come. Good luck,

SMR510
09-23-2012, 9:43 PM
For my money the Magpul MOE stuff is about the best bang for the buck.

kris smith
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I have a 35$ Gmg buffer set and stock and it works great

CALawyer
09-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Magpul STR.

Trust me, it rocks.

Chaos47
09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
For a basic M4 stock this is a good deal and quality parts (I would trust this over some random one off amazon)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-m4-stock-kit.html

They also have MOE kits, full lower build kits, or LPK's depending on what parts you already have or not. Check out their site, they are highly regarded around here.
(shipping can be slow at times, but worth the price discount if you can wait)

fishnbeer
09-24-2012, 5:57 AM
find used stuff in the for sale section on here! plenty of it!

chozenfew805
09-24-2012, 5:59 AM
For a basic M4 stock this is a good deal and quality parts (I would trust this over some random one off amazon)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-m4-stock-kit.html

They also have MOE kits, full lower build kits, or LPK's depending on what parts you already have or not. Check out their site, they are highly regarded around here.
(shipping can be slow at times, but worth the price discount if you can wait)

^^^^^:iagree:^^^^^

jsipe007
09-24-2012, 6:13 AM
Definitely PSA... you can get one of their Magpul MOE lower build kits for around 140 (or wait till it goes on sale for like 110) or just the buffer assembly/stock

G-Man WC
09-24-2012, 7:02 AM
Magpul CTR is what I'm looking at. -g

smittty
09-24-2012, 8:15 AM
I would at least get the Moe stock kit of you must have an adjustable stock.

I think you will see a trend to fixed stocks in the future. Magpul decided to offer the MOE Fixed stock for a reason...

What I know now I wouldn't build an adjustable stock lower.

deviljon
09-24-2012, 8:50 AM
For $40 I would have to say the Magpul MOE stock is my top choice. For a little more you can get the CTR which has a friction lock and a QD mount.

You'll find that when you start a thread asking what the "best" of something is, you'll get a lot of mixed answers and it generally boils down to two things. Your budget and intended use. That goes for just about anything.

smittty
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
For $40 I would have to say the Magpul MOE stock is my top choice. For a little more you can get the CTR which has a friction lock and a QD mount.

You'll find that when you start a thread asking what the "best" of something is, you'll get a lot of mixed answers and it generally boils down to two things. Your budget and intended use. That goes for just about anything.

The MOE stock alone costs $40-$50 but the OP is asking for the complete kit.

lawaia
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Best deal to be had. CTR kit for $85.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGCTRSTOCKKITBLK.aspx

deviljon
09-24-2012, 12:09 PM
The MOE stock alone costs $40-$50 but the OP is asking for the complete kit.

My bad, I didn't catch the part about the complete assembly. :o

I think that DSG Arms deal is pretty good then. Sign in and use coupon code Magpul15 and you get 15% off.

ETA: doesn't look like that code works on already discounted stuff. BOO.

smittty
09-24-2012, 4:05 PM
My friend has the CTR and imo it's not much better than the MOE. The all rattle or wiggle to some degree!

I swear, the best value for a butt stock kit is the UTG fixed A2 kit for $55. It's true black, insulated, has very good fit/finish and it's made in USA.

evidens83
09-24-2012, 4:23 PM
Best deal to be had. CTR kit for $85.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGCTRSTOCKKITBLK.aspx

If that's legit that is definitely a great deal! If I was building one I would jump on that deal with the quickness :D

lawaia
09-25-2012, 8:33 AM
If that's legit that is definitely a great deal! If I was building one I would jump on that deal with the quickness :D

It's legit. I bought one. Shipped the same day as ordered, and had it in my hands 2 days later.

stix213
09-25-2012, 9:05 AM
Tapco makes a complete stock, tube, buffer, and spring set for around $70 that works fine.

drunktank
09-25-2012, 9:36 AM
I bought the UTG kit for S & Giggles. Surprisingly it's been great. Good quality, made in USA and mil spec tube. I personally prefer the CTR so will eventually swap out the peice whenever I get around to it.