PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on AR pistol uppers please

twinjetguy
09-23-2012, 7:35 PM
Yep, yet ANOTHER AR15 pistol thread. If you are the type that will just say "search" or the kind to complain save your replies for another thread please.

Ok guys, I have been searching for a "reasonably" priced AR pistol upper chambered in 5.56. When I say reasonably priced I would like to stay in the area of no more than $600, but depending on the product I may go a bit higher.

Here is the big problem I am running into. No one has anything in stock!!! Can anyone on here recommend some places for me to look that has something in stock?

bender152
09-23-2012, 8:09 PM
Bravo Company has 11.5" uppers in stock.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-11-Upper-Receiver-Group-s/30.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=30&show=100&page=1

Unfortunately, they're all out of BCGs.

56Chevy
09-23-2012, 8:29 PM
I got my 10.5" Rock River upper from https://www.adcofirearms.com/ for a little over $500 shipped. It looks like they still have one in stock: https://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=1831.

Arkangel
09-23-2012, 8:47 PM
Give Parallax tactical a try, they can build you exactly what you want.

twinjetguy
09-23-2012, 9:40 PM
I forgot to mention I am looking for a 7.5 inch barrel. I totally forgot about Parallax Tactical. I used to go there quite often.

deviljon
09-23-2012, 11:49 PM
$600 for the complete upper with the BCG and CH?

twinjetguy
09-25-2012, 4:35 AM
Complete would be nice, but I am open to uppers without the BCG and CH depending on quality of the build of course.

DTS
09-25-2012, 5:36 AM
http://www.civtactical.com/shop/

he has listing here in calguns too...give him a shout

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-25-2012, 2:37 PM
I've purchased pistol uppers from Rguns (http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-uppers-556-7Inch-A3Heavy.shtml). Their current prices look like they are in your ballpark. You will want to call and confirm if they have the upper you want in stock before ordering it.

DanHuuN
09-25-2012, 2:44 PM
I've got an LMT 12'' piston in the forsale section. It's not in your suggested price range but I can remove accessories and sell you the bare upper and bolt. Let me know.

Falstaff
09-25-2012, 3:58 PM
JSE surplus and PKFirearms usually have them + NO CA tax! (Starve the filthy beast)

Mountain Max
09-25-2012, 4:16 PM
Anyone see the Rock River PDS Pistol for sale in California? Looks like most are sold out of state and require SSE.

glenntuc
09-25-2012, 4:28 PM
+1 jsesurplus.com allways in stock they will swap handgaurds, flash hide or brakes

mif_slim
09-25-2012, 4:34 PM
I know you said quality but if your looking for less, gunbroker has some good deals on parts. Put them together and you can make a pistol upper for 260 w/o bcg.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-25-2012, 5:10 PM
I know you said quality but if your looking for less, gunbroker has some good deals on parts. Put them together and you can make a pistol upper for 260 w/o bcg.

Yeah, I gotta go along with this idea. It is usually much cheaper to put together one on your own. And if you are close enough to get to Parallax, they will likely have all the extra little parts you need, AND put it together for you for cheap, if not free. They are turing into a great little EBR store.

-Mb

Z ME FLY
09-25-2012, 6:07 PM
For $600 you have a few different options when it comes to getting an upper. It really depends on how much time you have to wait around until a good deal comes by.

nismobishi
09-25-2012, 6:13 PM
Marksarmory.com FTW!!!! 7.5" upper for under 400.

twinjetguy
09-27-2012, 3:51 AM
Wow guys, thanks for all the info! This is exactly what I needed. I checked out the civtactical page. They have some really nice stuff but I am curious why all the barrels are non-chrome lined. Is this the way to go with pistol uppers? I have always gone chrome lined with any of my AR builds.

Going to check out all the other suggestions soon also.

mif_slim
09-27-2012, 6:35 AM
Chromeline if you want it to last longer. I have more standard barrel then chromeline and they all seem to last pretty long. Ove gotten a few thousand rounds thru a few of them and their still as good as new. Got a barrel with 8000rd thru still doing 3moa...good enough for a 89 dollar barrel.

DTS
09-27-2012, 3:23 PM
show us what you bought>?

gun toting monkeyboy
09-27-2012, 3:58 PM
Chrome-lined barrels will last longer, and be easier to clean. On a pistol, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, barrels are cheap. If you manage to shoot it out (unlikely), it won't be all that expensive to replace.

-Mb

(edit) I would also look into the 10.5" barrels instead of the 7.5" ones. You get way more performance, and you can use a standard carbine gas system. Also, depending on your buffer tube, you should be able to get it at least 26" overall, which means you can legally put a forward grip on it. That makes these much easier to handle.

mif_slim
09-27-2012, 5:48 PM
When you say Forward Grip you mean vertical or angle? Couldn't you out a AFG on a 7.5" bbl?

twinjetguy
09-30-2012, 9:06 AM
I am heading to the Del Mar Gun Show today so we will see if I find something. I normally do not like to buy uppers at the gun show just because I don't know if I can trust them. Maybe I will find something good, if I don't the R-Guns site has some pretty nice options.

ar15barrels
09-30-2012, 9:27 AM
When you say Forward Grip you mean vertical or angle? Couldn't you out a AFG on a 7.5" bbl?

A forward grip on a pistol makes it an AOW and would be illegal without an NFA tax stamp.

atc4usmc
09-30-2012, 10:03 AM
A forward grip on a pistol makes it an AOW and would be illegal without an NFA tax stamp.

I am so confused about this....I was just in turners and they have a ar-pistol with a magpul fwd grip (not the AFG) on the wall for sale. I asked and they told me that it was totally legal...

Where can I find the truth to this issue?

Thanks!

ar15barrels
09-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I am so confused about this....I was just in turners and they have a ar-pistol with a magpul fwd grip (not the AFG) on the wall for sale. I asked and they told me that it was totally legal...

Thanks!

Write a letter to the ATF and ask the question.
They will respond with an answer.

It would not surprise me to see a gun store selling an illegal configuration.
The store employees don't know the law and they don't realize that just because a pistol HAS a rail, that it's not ok to slide a forward grip on to it...

beenawhile
09-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks!

Maybe it was one of these.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html

atc4usmc
09-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Maybe it was one of these.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html

Thats exactly what it was! Very interesting to say the least. Although the employee did tell me that a pistol could have a vertical fore grip! I don't think he was aware of the specifics with the FA shown above!

Thanks!

supermario
09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken, when you have the 10.5"+ barrel with the buffer tube, the AR Pistols meet the minimum length required and it is legal to put the vertical forward grip on it. Becus of the overall length. BUT if you do that with the 7.5" barrel, then the overall length is not enough and it is ILLEGAL as randall says.

I ran into that same questions and it was becus of the overall length of the pistol that makes it legal for vfg. I asked turners and they were told it was legal by the ATF. But remember it has to be 10.5" barrel or longer.

May also make a difference if your using the carbine buffer tube. Becus the short pistol buffers may not be long enough to fullfill oal.

I'm not 100% positive but I am 90% :)

supermario
09-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Another thing to consider is that the 10.5"+ will be more reliable. If you go with 7.5, perhaps save some $ and buy a PWS gas piston upper. I have the 7.5 Diablo upper from PWS and its great. Works 100% with all ammo and even when its dirty.
If you buy a 10.5", LMT and BCM make very nice uppers. Buy them bare and then buy rest of parts and you can Have AR15barrels build it for you. That way you get quality parts, low cost and reliability!

ar15barrels
09-30-2012, 3:14 PM
May also make a difference if your using the carbine buffer tube. Becus the short pistol buffers may not be long enough to fullfill oal.

This.

If the oal is long enough, it's not an aow.
Also read California's rules too though...

Doc Archie
09-30-2012, 3:30 PM
Last Stand Readiness and Tactical 2821 Florin Rd has FN 16" Gov't style M-4 uppers with bolt. It's a brand new store. I just checked them out. They start at 599.99. They also have Sabre Arms 16" for 629.
They're 20" FN goes for 750.
Come down and see us! Or check out their website.

Arkangel
10-01-2012, 7:24 AM
Thats exactly what it was! Very interesting to say the least. Although the employee did tell me that a pistol could have a vertical fore grip! I don't think he was aware of the specifics with the FA shown above!

Thanks!

The FA XO has an OAL of at least 26". Meeting the minimum length requirement to be a title 1 firearm. That's why the vfg is legal and no tax stamp is required.

If I'm not mistaken, when you have the 10.5"+ barrel with the buffer tube, the AR Pistols meet the minimum length required and it is legal to put the vertical forward grip on it. Becus of the overall length. BUT if you do that with the 7.5" barrel, then the overall length is not enough and it is ILLEGAL as randall says.

I ran into that same questions and it was becus of the overall length of the pistol that makes it legal for vfg. I asked turners and they were told it was legal by the ATF. But remember it has to be 10.5" barrel or longer.

I'm not 100% positive but I am 90% :)

If you went through the trouble of setting up a trust, you could get a tax stamp for a AOW (if you wanted an OAL under 26" and a vfg).

Also as long as the OAL is 26" it doesn't matter if it has a shorter barrel and a longer tube or vice versa.

Foresight88
10-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I got a pistol upper from MarksArmory. I bought the one that is supposed to be used with the shortened gas tube, but I replaced the short tube with a full size so I could shoulder it.

I replaced the quad rail with a Troy Alpha which looks fn badass.

+1 for Marks

HK35
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
If I'm not mistaken, when you have the 10.5"+ barrel with the buffer tube, the AR Pistols meet the minimum length required and it is legal to put the vertical forward grip on it. Becus of the overall length.

A 10.5" barrel and standard (carbine) length buffer tube will be just shy of 26" OAL. You'll need an 11.5" barrel to be safe or pin a brake or hidder on a 10.5".

twinjetguy
10-04-2012, 4:01 AM
Hey guys,

Well I broke down and found a pretty good deal on a pistol upper at the del mar show. Ended up getting a 7.5 barrel without bcg or charging handle for $275. I already had a spare bcg and a Phase 5 charging handle that I was planning on using. I will have pics up soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I think I might have to build another one but go 10.5 this time.

atc4usmc
10-04-2012, 5:58 AM
nice find at the show! Lets see some pics, I still need ideas for what I want!

supermario
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Just curious but who did you buy the upper from? Because there was one guy at shows that sold uppers that were not well built. Theres a post on here someplace showing how his upper started messing up. It was bad. Im just giving you a warning to make sure you bought something decent. Because you dont want to go cheap on a pistol build or it will malfunction.
Sometimes its not always best to save $. Either way have fun with your build.

Hey guys,

Well I broke down and found a pretty good deal on a pistol upper at the del mar show. Ended up getting a 7.5 barrel without bcg or charging handle for $275. I already had a spare bcg and a Phase 5 charging handle that I was planning on using. I will have pics up soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I think I might have to build another one but go 10.5 this time.

deviljon
10-04-2012, 1:29 PM
Just curious but who did you buy the upper from? Because there was one guy at shows that sold uppers that were not well built. Theres a post on here someplace showing how his upper started messing up. It was bad. Im just giving you a warning to make sure you bought something decent. Because you dont want to go cheap on a pistol build or it will malfunction.
Sometimes its not always best to save $. Either way have fun with your build.

Was it the ROHG ARMS thread?