PDA

View Full Version : Chipped wood on butt stock affecting accuracy????

ucsdryder
09-23-2012, 1:09 PM
I was sighting in a 270 browning bar today. The first to shots were 4 inches left, I made an adjustment and started working it to center. On the 5th shot my groups went to hell. Another shot and it was 8" off and not even close to the 5th shot. This was definitely an equipment issue, so I put the gun away. I did notice that there was a large chip at the top of the wood stock right where it meets the receiver. Chip is 1/2" wide by 1.5" long. I am pretty sure the chip happened when I took the 5th shot. There was a hairline fracture there for a whole, but it seemed to be cosmetic an didnt look too deep so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I found a couple stocks online and it seems to br a common issue with the older bars. It is a pretty 1979.

foxtrotuniformlima
09-23-2012, 1:12 PM
More likely a loose scope mount/ring. A cracked stock might shift the POA but not likely to make it unpredictable unless it caused the action to be loose in the stock. How does the action feel if you grab the barrel in one hand and the stock in the other?

ucsdryder
09-23-2012, 1:16 PM
I have no affiliation with this post, but it looks exactly like the stock on here. See the picture with the chip showing on the stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160885034672?redirect=mobile

ucsdryder
09-23-2012, 1:20 PM
More likely a loose scope mount/ring. A cracked stock might shift the POA but not likely to make it unpredictable unless it caused the action to be loose in the stock. How does the action feel if you grab the barrel in one hand and the stock in the other?

I was thinking the same thing. When I took the stock off the bolt wasn't super tight. Thinking maybe it was just a little loose after some of the wood came out between the stock and the receiver. Everything else appears tone super tight. Scope has Ben mounted and untouched for 25 years, all the screws are tight