PDA

View Full Version : Best ammo for a new Buckmark...

Kokak
09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Put a brand new Buckmark SS Camper in jail this weekend and am now looking to purchase its 1st couple of thousand rounds in a couple of weeks.
I will be going to the Ontario gun show right before picking it up. So what would you all recommend for my new Buckmarks 1st meal?
BTW... I found some original Browning Buckmark mags on the net for 21 each (bought 5). I can post the link later.
I know these guns can take almost any quality 22 round after they are broken in. I just want to treat this pistol well by exercising it regularly and feeding it well.

Thanks in advance

MyOdessa
09-23-2012, 2:19 PM
the only way to tell is to buy different types and brands and try them out. .22LR handguns are notorious for being picky about ammo, what works in one gun may not work in the other. The only consensus I've seen, is to stay away from Remington ammo.

savannah
09-23-2012, 2:24 PM
I just put a Buckmark Plus UDX in jail yesterday. I am also interested in decent .22 ammo. My glock eats anything and stays happy. Hope I love the Buckmark as much.

Kokak
09-23-2012, 2:30 PM
Here is the link to where the Magazines for the Buckmark are only 21.91. And they are the mags made by Browning.

LINK (http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=5355)

Southpaw45
09-23-2012, 6:20 PM
I bought a UDX a few months ago. So far I fed it federal bulk and Winchester 555 bulk. Burnt through a box of each and had two FTE with the Winchester ammo and no issues with the Federal ammo. When those two rounds didn't extract, the empty case fell back into the action sideways and the bolt closed on them crushing the brass.

kmca
09-23-2012, 6:26 PM
For what it's worth, my Buckmark likes Remington and Winchester bulk. It chokes on Federal and CCI Blazer. Didn't have to resort to MiniMags :)

macxd
09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
My girl picked up her Camper SS recently. Great gun. We ran 100 CCI minimags through it with one FTF and a small box of the Remington golden bullets which had like two or three. After that it was the blue box bulk federals. The buckmark ate those no prob. I would buy a few boxes of different brands and see which ones have the least issues. Congrats on the pistol.

jpopfan
09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
My Buckmark UDX runs well with Federal 525rd. bulk pack, which is what I've stocked up on. CCI Mini Mags and SK Standard Plus also run with no issues. Remington Golden Bullets weren't so great, had lots of FTFs that would fire on a second attempt and a handful of complete duds.

MIAMIbaseballer
09-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Federal has works flawlessly in the one I shot. Stay away from Remington.....

Kokak
09-24-2012, 1:10 PM
Which Federal Bulk were you using 'jpopfan' and which GRAIN seems to work best for the other brands?

Quinc
09-24-2012, 1:28 PM
mini mags work best in everything. My Buckmark does well with bulk Federal for the first 100shots or so, then I start having FTF and FTE issues.

Wicked K5
09-24-2012, 3:21 PM
Don't forget to pick up a McFadden Machine Ultimate Clip Loader :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokak
09-24-2012, 3:34 PM
Holey Moley...

I just watched a YouTube demo of this. It is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Legasat
09-24-2012, 3:40 PM
CCI...

boostfed
09-24-2012, 11:22 PM
cci minimags here, just got mine out of jail a few days ago and its the funnest thing to shoot, still breaking it in. If you get the Ultimate Clip Loader be sure to get some Rem Oil, minimags are waxy and it'll gum up your clip loader pretty quick. I initially got the buckmark for the misses but it looks like i'll be shooting it a lot more . I got the 1600 minimag can from walmart as well, most people recommend breaking in ~ 500 rounds of minimags and it should eat about anything after that.

And also another word of advice... listen to Browning and dont take apart your buckmark for a cleaning, you'll save yourself some headaches. Happy Shooting!

ssaction
09-25-2012, 2:18 AM
I use federal bulk ammo. CCI minimags work well too.

dls
09-25-2012, 5:38 AM
Only thing I've run in my Buckmark UDX, is the CCI mini mags.
The bulk Remington ,Winchester.. .22 ammo go in the old rifles.

Quinc
09-25-2012, 9:25 AM
cci minimags here, just got mine out of jail a few days ago and its the funnest thing to shoot, still breaking it in. If you get the Ultimate Clip Loader be sure to get some Rem Oil, minimags are waxy and it'll gum up your clip loader pretty quick. I initially got the buckmark for the misses but it looks like i'll be shooting it a lot more . I got the 1600 minimag can from walmart as well, most people recommend breaking in ~ 500 rounds of minimags and it should eat about anything after that.

And also another word of advice... listen to Browning and dont take apart your buckmark for a cleaning, you'll save yourself some headaches. Happy Shooting!

I have taken mine down to the very last pin. It's not hard at all. Just don't lose any of the tiny pieces! :D

jpopfan
09-25-2012, 2:27 PM
Which Federal Bulk were you using 'jpopfan' and which GRAIN seems to work best for the other brands?

That would be the Federal #745 36gr Plated HP that comes in Value Packs of 525 rounds.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rimfire.aspx?id=54

boostfed
09-25-2012, 7:16 PM
I have taken mine down to the very last pin. It's not hard at all. Just don't lose any of the tiny pieces! :D

I did as well prior to any shooting, I hear after a few thousand rounds that things will start to loosen up a bit and be easier to take down. I should've waited but I agree, definitely not hard, but if I can clean the thing without having to strip it that works for me, heh

XVIga_Rob
09-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Love my UDX! I've tried Remington, Winchester, Federal, & CCI. Only had a couple issues (mostly with the Remington). It rocks the Federal bulk! This is good, as WallyWorld sells it pretty cheap. Ammo is like crack!!

Squidward
09-27-2012, 3:53 PM
I have a large plastic jar with all sorts of old and new .22LR ammo inside. From day one I poured out a pile and loaded up my camper. Over 1000 rounds later and no real issues. I've had half a dozen FTEs but it was probably the ammo. Some folks feed their Browning the gourmet .22LR, mine likes the buffet.

savannah
10-08-2012, 9:23 PM
Took my UDX to the range today. Had a few FTF with Federal 36 grain, CCI standard and mini-mag ran perfectly.

Kokak
10-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Went to the gunshow this weekend and picked up a couple of cases of ammo. I got 1 case of CCI Mini Mag rounds and 1 case of Winchester rounds.

I ran 1 box (375 rounds) of the Mini Mags through the buckmark this weekend without any issues. Man I love this gun.

Ricky-Ray
10-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Like most have said, CCI Mini Mags work very well. I'll usually run 500-1,000 rounds of Mini mags thru a new 22 and afterwards it will pretty much eat about anything.

The only one's I've had alot of problems with ere the Remington gold bulk packs. I had a lot of FTE and FTF with that brand and I've stopped buying those.

SoCal Choppas
10-10-2012, 9:31 PM
my buckmark sporter runs about anything I throw at it. I prefer to use copper washed bullets.

I would agree to use a couple hundred rounds CCI Mini Mags to break it in.

Note, keep an eye on the scope mount screws loosening up.

10xhobby
10-10-2012, 9:52 PM
KOKAK my Buckmark works well with Federal Champion 36 gr hp in the 525 pack. The cci mini mags are hard on the recoil bumper pad and spring. The best thing to do is to try 4 or 5 50 round boxes of different types of ammo and see what your gun likes, plus it's interesting the way different ammo reacts with accuracy and functioning. Good Luck

Kokak
10-14-2012, 3:18 PM
UPDATE:
I have run 2 boxes of 36G Mini Mags through the Buckmark with O failures. Man this gun shoots sweet.
Just to see a difference I tried 100+ rounds of Winchester 555 through it. I had 3 failures out of about 120 rounds, not too bad.
So while the Mini Mags had fewer failures at 14.00 per 555 box compared to 24.00 per 375 box. The Winchester did just fine. Accuracy wise, the seemed equal.