PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my first Long Gun

plinker27
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Hello all, well i got a Ruger SR22 pistol for plinking fun and got a Sig SP2022 in .40SW for protection and more fun.

I want to start adding to my still small but growing collection of guns and I am looking into a rifle to do more long range shooting,but don't know to much about them so i'm not sure what caliber i want or should get ( I wanna keep it a little reasonable cost wise until i start reloading:D), if i want a semi or a bolt action, more of a traditional rifle or AR style, i'm looking in the $500-$1000 range and just wanted to get some opinions of what you guys and gals that have some rifles enjoy to shoot. Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing what you guys and gals are into.:thumbsup:

Mike

chozenfew805
09-23-2012, 12:57 PM
You could build something like this for about $875+/- based on how you want to build your AR:)
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb404/chozenfew805/IMAG1363_zpsfdc3ddcc.jpg

dc2integra
09-23-2012, 1:02 PM
Build an AR15 to your liking.

CobraRed
09-23-2012, 6:28 PM
Depends on what "long range" is to you.

myk
09-23-2012, 6:39 PM
AR's are good fun, and I would say it's the next logical step in your gun collection. There are so many to choose from it'll make your head spin. Try to find a range that will let you rent out some AR's to shoot, because in the end you're the one who has to be happy with it. I had never touched guns in my life, and was told I should get the Ruger 556e, a piston gun and I like it. I purchased a Colt M4 on my own research. I would recommend that you try to spend a little more than you might be comfortable with, because it will keep you from wondering if you could've done better. Unless you're gun-savvy, I recommend buying one off of the shelf, shooting it, then taking it apart and learning all about it...

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 6:42 PM
get 10 mosin nagants

Don29palms
09-23-2012, 6:48 PM
The 2 rifles below are the ones I would recommend for getting into long range shooting. I like the Remington better of the 2 because it can be customized much easier in the future. The Savage is alot of rifle for the money and is a great rifle. Either rifle will reach out to 1000yds.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/41046/Remington+700+SPS+Synthetic+VAR+308+26

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57408

BigRobb
09-23-2012, 7:12 PM
Building an AR-15 can be more cost effective than a pre-built one in the end. You can easily build an AR-15 with quality parts for around $700-800 and spend the rest of the $1000 on ammo/range time. There are TONS of options and parts readily available as well as tutorials out there that you can watch if you are search engine/youtube savvy.

As far as reaching out to 1000yds, there are better rifles for the job that are in your price range, as Don29palms pointed out.

plinker27
09-23-2012, 9:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

As far as range i was thinking about 300-400 yards nothing to extreme but something far enough away to challenge myself. The range i shoot at is Iron Sights in Ocean Side and i think i saw 1 or 2 AR's that they rent out. i will see next time i go.

Im thinking about going with the AR 15 style. it just seems like the next logical purchase for me to do. After looking around the web and researching on this forum a little bit i'm thinking about trying out building one, it doesn't look that hard and i think the knowledge i can gain by putting every moving piece in place myself will help me in the long run with maintenance. After pricing out some options it looks like its going to cost just under 1000 bucks to build it the way i want and seems like i can get some pretty good quality parts for it, or at least better then the pre built entry ones for about the same price. One question though. Do i have to install a bullet button on it? i would rather not if there is a way around it. thanks again everyone appreciate all the feedback

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 9:30 PM
you dont have to have a bb Just make sure It doesnt have any other Evil Features

So Look up CA evil features

plinker27
09-23-2012, 9:46 PM
you dont have to have a bb Just make sure It doesnt have any other Evil Features

So Look up CA evil features

is there a place i can look at to see what evil features this fascist state wont let you have on your guns?

Excaliburr
09-24-2012, 8:34 AM
First off, I think ever person should own a Ruger 10/22 rifle for just learning, plinking and possibly putting some food on the table if need be. You can learn a lot with ammo that cost near $0.04 per round. To me it is a first must have in any collection and a good start is the take down version they are offering for around $300. Add a scope and you are off to many years of fun! Secondly, I think a nice bolt action gun is quite necessary to have, and one of the former responders here has mentioned a Remington SPS in .308. Not a bad choice IMO. You could also go with 30-06 as those two calibers are pretty popular and ammo will generally be available everywhere. From me, I prefer smaller calibers, but I am a re-loader, 6MM springs to mind. An AR-15 is a good choice, however it wouldn't be my first choice in your budget range. People spend upwards of $2K to fully equip one. There is a lot of hype on these guns and they have a purpose, but generally long range shooting isn't one of them. Snipers in the military do not use them (they opt for the far better .338 Lapua) and military personnel qualify at 300 meters with iron sights. So IMO you cannot expect real great accuracy at say 300 yards plus with an AR and say a 16" barrel. A bolt action gun, however has a longer barrel, typically like 24". Lastly, IMO you have some nice self defence guns, but you are missing the most important one that every household should have loaded by their nightstand, a Remington 870 pump action 12 gauge shotgun. They make a heck of a racket when you pump them, and any intruder will know what is coming their way, and may run just at the sound. All you have to do is point and pull the trigger. Loaded with buckshot it is devastating and can clear a hallway if need be. Most of us will not ever have the chance to use an AR-15 for its intended purpose, yet a Ruger 10/22 and a Remington 870 can prove to be the most valuable tools in the tool chest come survival time.

Renaissance Redneck
09-24-2012, 9:21 AM
First off, I think ever person should own a Ruger 10/22 rifle

^^^ THIS.

I definitely agree that a 10/22 is a logical choice for a first long-gun. You will have tons of fun with it, it is cheap to feed, and reliable. Next, as he said above, go with a nice bolt gun. Heck, you can buy the 10/22 AND a nice bolt action for less than $1,000!

The above scenario is exactly how I started buying my own guns (35 +/- years ago, at the age of 13). Except, though my first gun was indeed a semi-auto .22, but not the 10/22 (mine was the Remington Nylon 66). Second gun: Remington 700 BDL, left-hand. It was only very much later that I got a semi-auto rifle (Mini 14 for me).

A little story: just yesterday my wife and I went shooting with 2 Marines; one was my son, a scout/sniper. Our available "arsenal" included an M-40 (USMC sniper rifle) clone, an M-4 clone, the Mini-14, a Rossi pump .22, a lever .22, a Coonan .357 Magnum semi-auto, a Ruger Security Six .357 mag, two Charter Arms ultralite 5-shot .38 SPL revolvers, and the Ruger 10/22.

We had plenty of ammo for all of the guns. The Marines kept going back and loading up the 10/22, and then running drills with it. We also drilled a bunch with the .38's (defensive drills). With all of those guns available, we (including the Marines) probably put more rounds through the 10/22 than any other gun; not for lack of ammo in any other gun, mind you, but just for the sheer fun of the 10/22. Our second most used guns of the day? The .38's.

plinker27
09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
First off, I think ever person should own a Ruger 10/22 rifle for just learning, plinking and possibly putting some food on the table if need be.

I was thinking about the 10/22 and it might be on the list in the near future. i already have a .22 in a pistol though not a rifle. in getting my first long gun i wanted to try a different caliber. i love the fact that i can shoot about 1000 rounds for under $40 bucks but for right now im looking at a different caliber since i already have a .22. As for the shotgun, that is coming after my rifle purchase. i have the SP2022 for home defense right now and that paired with a home alarm system at my house put the shotgun farther down the list, however i am definitely getting one in the near future. Shooting clays looks like a ton of fun and i'm looking forward to when i can start having fun with a shotty as well. to many fun things to do with guns and not enough cash to do it all at once. :D

BigRobb
09-24-2012, 1:04 PM
I've never owned a 10/22 but it is the first gun I ever shot. Thanks to my uncle, he let me use it on his ranch whenever I'd come to visit as long as I came with the ammo and cleaned it afterwards. And asking mom for ammo money didn't count :) Mowing lawns FTW!

Such a fun gun to use!

Lead Waster
09-24-2012, 2:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

As far as range i was thinking about 300-400 yards nothing to extreme but something far enough away to challenge myself. The range i shoot at is Iron Sights in Ocean Side and i think i saw 1 or 2 AR's that they rent out. i will see next time i go.

Im thinking about going with the AR 15 style. it just seems like the next logical purchase for me to do. After looking around the web and researching on this forum a little bit i'm thinking about trying out building one, it doesn't look that hard and i think the knowledge i can gain by putting every moving piece in place myself will help me in the long run with maintenance. After pricing out some options it looks like its going to cost just under 1000 bucks to build it the way i want and seems like i can get some pretty good quality parts for it, or at least better then the pre built entry ones for about the same price. One question though. Do i have to install a bullet button on it? i would rather not if there is a way around it. thanks again everyone appreciate all the feedback

I built an AR-15, though "Built" is not quite as descriptive as "assembled" because I didn't really make anything, I just put parts together. All I did was buy the lower, the lower parts kit, a stock (with buffer stuff) and a complete upper from Midway USA.

So I "gathered bits and pieces" and used a very good youtube video (can't remember which one) to put it together.

I had the thing on my kitchen table, with my laptop next to it, and paused it. I also had a print out of another "how to assemble an AR-15" on paper with part lists so I could use that as a cross reference to the video.

easy as pie, and watch the video/read the instructions at least twice through to avoid making mistakes, like breaking the metal near the trigger guard and scratching up the bolt release pin area.

It was my first (and only) build and it was not hard at all. Again, I cheated with the pre-assembled upper, but so what!

I put together a rifle with a 20" bull barrel and a cheapo standard non-collapsable stock. it weighs very close to TEN POUNDS.

Anyway, I think .223 remington is close to, if not THE, cheapest centerfire rifle round you can easily find. So I'd start with that.

For me, I'm getting into rifle shooting with my .22lr, then the 10 pound monster, then we'll see where that goes!

So, long story short, try putting an AR together, it's satisfying! And if I decide I want to be all tactical and stuff, I can buy a carbine length upper and slap that on! That's the beauty of the AR-15 platform, it's many guns in one! Oh yeah, you can even swap to some other caliber upper too (but not .308 i don't think).

AleksandreCz
09-24-2012, 9:22 PM
is there a place i can look at to see what evil features this fascist state wont let you have on your guns?

Under Flowcharts & OLL Assembly guide at the top of this page

BradleyAbrams
09-25-2012, 2:01 AM
About two years ago I was in a very similar situation to yours. I had my AK, an IAI 10mm, a couple of 9mm ( BHP & Glock ) a PPK/s , a S&W .357 and an Autoloader 12ga; and now wanted a long range Rifle in my collection.

But I knew that it would Not be my Primary gun, so a Hi-end Sniper system in 338 Lapua was not ideal...

I considered a FN-FAL seriously, and almost went for one, but at the last moment decided that I wanted a Bolt Action instead. The FN-FAL would wait for another day.

I targeted $1K as a budget, including Rifle, Glass and Bipod. I researched and asked questions for about 8 months on varied forums and also consulted with old Timers in person...And as expected, opinions varied wildly. But as time passed, one System kept coming up over and over again as the Best All Around Deal for the money.... And this was the Savage 10PC ( Precision Carbine) in .308 caliber.

I was told quite a few times during my earlier research period that this is a system designed for Law Enforcement use, specifically for deployment with SWAT Team sharp-shooters.

OK- Whatever...The price was Right, The Platform looked Right, the Cartridge for Sure was Right for me, so I started shopping around for a Model 10PC .

In the meantime I found a great deal on a scope, which I bought actually before I got the rifle. Based on Recommendations and reviews by experts in Optics and and long guns, I chose a HAWKE Sidewinder 30 - ( 4-16 X 50mm ) for under $300. This is a very good scope, especially at the price. I got mine from EABCO. I also got my Scope Ring Mount base and Rifle case from them.

The Leupold 30mm Scope Rings I purchased from SWAFO.

Finally I decided it was time to get the Rifle. I got a good deal from The Stockade, in Westminster.

And last, I got my Weaver Bipod direct from Weaver for about $115. Great Bipod.

My " final" total exceeded my budget by about $250, including all applicable taxes, DROS fee, and shipping.

But for that monetary outlay, I have a very Nice Law Enforcement-Type rifle loaded with top notch features such as the AccuTrigger, argaubly The Best Factory trigger offered at this time, and the AccuStock; a semi Customized Factory Stock.

The .308 Cartridge is more than adequate out to about +800 Meters.

Regardless of this, my Rifle is at this time a much more accurate platform than I am a shooter; which is nice, as it gives me room and motivation to improve my shooting. And the best part is that I can do this without having to spend boat-loads of money on improvements to make the Rifle better first.

So instead of accessories to improve the rifle, such as an aftermarket Trigger or a custom made Stock, I get to spend the money on Ammo to send downrange..

This is a good price for a New one:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78075/Savage+10+PRECISION+308

And Here below are 3 pics of my own Savage 10PC. I am extremely happy with my final choice and would recommend it as a first Long Range Rifle to anyone who asks for a good choice as a First Long-Gun.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/IMG_1578-1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/IMG_1594.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/IMG_1616.jpg

--