PDA

View Full Version : Killing coyotes

m24armorer
07-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Any experts in the Santa Cruz Mountains with tips or ideas.

burl broderick
07-03-2007, 1:27 AM
Build better fences around your livestock / fowl
& let the coyotes live. They were probably there first. ;)

Fjold
07-03-2007, 5:55 AM
A 40-80 grain hollowpoint or polymer tipped projectile delivered at 2400 - 4000 fps, low in the near shoulder. Works everytime

m24armorer
07-03-2007, 6:20 AM
Thanks Fjold, I will try the Black Hills with the V-Max.

capitol
07-03-2007, 11:07 AM

I say shoot every filthy, stinking coyote you can drop dead. Then skin em and hang it from a fence post for the other coyotes to see :43:

Solidmch
07-03-2007, 4:07 PM

A coyote only lives for 7-10 years unless it comes across me and my 308. :43: So they wernt here first.

Hey Broderick. PETA is looking for you. They want their voice back.

donger
07-03-2007, 6:19 PM
I don't know how I feel about hunting coyotes. In the first place, they're closely related to domestic dogs and in the second place they always look so sad.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for hunting. I like blasting most things. But something in my heart tells me I can't shoot coyotes.

Gnome
07-03-2007, 6:31 PM
Is it true that there is no bag limit on coyotes? I have a ton of them on the facility that I currently work at. Granted, I do not think my employers would like the idea of me shooting coyotes during my break.

XDshooter
07-03-2007, 7:28 PM
Is it true that there is no bag limit on coyotes? I have a ton of them on the facility that I currently work at. Granted, I do not think my employers would like the idea of me shooting coyotes during my break.

Yup, no possession limit and year round take.

Steyr_223
07-03-2007, 8:14 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Jwvk6MGV8

damon1272
07-03-2007, 8:18 PM
I don't know how I feel about hunting coyotes. In the first place, they're closely related to domestic dogs and in the second place they always look so sad.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for hunting. I like blasting most things. But something in my heart tells me I can't shoot coyotes.

When they die their lips kind of curl up and make a little smile. Shoot one and you will see.:D

chris
07-03-2007, 9:26 PM

broderick you must be a PETA poster boy or something. coyotes are a lawfully hunted animal in this state and you should not be saying not to shoot them because they were here first. maybe you should leave where you and give your home back the native americans since they were here long before you showed up.

Kiba
07-03-2007, 9:55 PM
When they die their lips kind of curl up and make a little smile. Shoot one and you will see.:D

I went back and looked at some of my pictures from this winter...

http://home.comcast.net/~swedish_chef/stuff/ForumStuff/smirkingcoyote.jpg

I'll be damned, you're right! I don't know if I'd call that a full smile, but I *think* she's smirking a little bit. :p

FatKatMatt
07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I say you shouldn't kill what you're not willing to eat. I've never met anyone who wanted to eat coyote so I, morally, think it is wrong to kill something you're not going to use. Unless they're a real pest I see no reason to kill them.

donger
07-04-2007, 6:41 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Jwvk6MGV8

That's funny since I live in the Hollywood Hills and occasionally run into coyotes early in the morning when I run.

lawnrevenge
07-04-2007, 7:08 AM
Unless they're a real pest I see no reason to kill them.

Bingo!!!!

A real pest. They don't just eat livestock, they eat children too (not that often) When a predator gets to numerous is destroys the ecosystem, will all the added food in the form of rodents, livestock, garbage, encroachment on habitat, etc. there are too many coyotes and not killing some would result in the killing of cute fuzzy bunnies, squirrels, and children.:eek: So do you like ugly, mean, coyotes?:no: Or cute fuzzy warm friendly bunnies and squirrels?:clap:

damon1272
07-04-2007, 7:21 AM
I say you shouldn't kill what you're not willing to eat. I've never met anyone who wanted to eat coyote so I, morally, think it is wrong to kill something you're not going to use. Unless they're a real pest I see no reason to kill them.

Man, I have a whole lota prarie dogs to start frying up then! Nothin' like a plate of steaming plague ridden rats.:eek:

m24armorer
07-04-2007, 9:15 PM
Kiba, is that a black kitty in the pic?

The whole reason why I asked is my black cat and companion of 8 years was killed and my neighbors pets are also in danger.

I know we live in the mountains but it seems the coyotes have just about killed off all the young deer, quail and doves. Now they are going after critters we love.

They will die.

Kiba
07-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Kiba, is that a black kitty in the pic?

The whole reason why I asked is my black cat and companion of 8 years was killed and my neighbors pets are also in danger.

I know we live in the mountains but it seems the coyotes have just about killed off all the young deer, quail and doves. Now they are going after critters we love.

They will die.

Yep, it sure is one of my cats, he's a black/white manx and very nosy. As soon as we pulled in with the pickup he was sniffing all around and next thing you know he's in the bed checking out what I dragged home. Someone dropped him and 3 of his brothers off out in the orchard behind a friends house a little over a year ago. There were 2 black/white manx's and the other 2 were all black with full tails. I kept one of the Manx, my friend kept the other manx, and I gave the other two away. They were all great as far as personality but I couldn't support all of them (I already had two others.) Ironically, coyotes ended up getting the 2 all black ones at their new home.

I lost a cat to a Coyote a couple years back, she had a habit of going way out in the orchard behind the house exploring. I knew it was only a matter of time before she didn't come back. I heard it happen and saw the aftermath. :(

I honestly think Coyotes are neat-- they look cool, I love listening to their calls & howls at night... but I also like seeing them through a scope. We have a *lot* of them out here, I'm surrounded by orchards, alfalfa, and corn fields. One night last winter after the rains I spotlighted 9 of them hunting an alfalfa field. Thanks to my AR I managed to take out 3 of them in under 10 seconds, I lined up on the closest one and kept moving down the line until the rest of the group ran for shelter down a V-ditch where I didn't have a line of sight to them.

Oddly enough another guaranteed way to get them around here (although it's too easy) is to grab a shotgun and go fire up the tractor and drive it around at night or early in the morning. They are attracted to the tractor because you stir up the rats & mice and they know this. As soon as they hear the tractor running they literally come out of the woodwork and follow/pace the tractor about 10 yards away-- it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel. Amusing once maybe but no challenge. I like to call them in or go out at night quietly looking for them.

I really want a good Gen IV NVG scope for night time Coyote hunting but as of yet I haven't been able to scrounge up the money for one, too busy buying guns. :p

lawnrevenge
07-05-2007, 5:45 AM
One night last winter after the rains I spotlighted 9 of them hunting an alfalfa field. Thanks to my AR I managed to take out 3 of them in under 10 seconds, I lined up on the closest one and kept moving down the line until the rest of the group ran for shelter down a V-ditch where I didn't have a line of sight to them.
Oddly enough another guaranteed way to get them around here (although it's too easy) is to grab a shotgun and go fire up the tractor and drive it around at night or early in the morning. They are attracted to the tractor because you stir up the rats & mice and they know this. As soon as they hear the tractor running they literally come out of the woodwork and follow/pace the tractor about 10 yards away-- it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel. Amusing once maybe but no challenge. I like to call them in or go out at night quietly looking for them.
Kiba, you're my hero!

bear308
07-05-2007, 8:20 AM
with a fast 125 speer tnt load in 308 you can whack em at pretty good distance and it is a devastating hit.

Nahuatl
07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
The CA coyote population estimate is now 10 million. They continue to expand their range nationwide.

Quoting the AZ state predator biologist, "Whatever you're doing is not working. There are more coyotes now than there have ever been."

joel1316
07-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Where are all those dogs when I'm hunting them? LOL

ViPER395
07-12-2007, 1:10 PM
I only see the bastages when my GF is in the car and she likes the rabid wild canines.

CalNRA
07-12-2007, 1:55 PM
Coyotes are not pests? they sell false dream to migrants from 3rd world countries and profit on human suffering.....

oh wait.

What about a trusty 12-GA with buck shot?

Sydwaiz
07-12-2007, 2:22 PM
Black Hills blue box, 55gr SP drops em nicely from a 1-8 twist AR. And so does my 22-250 shooting 55 grainers as well. I can't wait till it gets colder again.

Chris M
07-12-2007, 3:09 PM
Check out http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/
Lots of Coyote hunters on there from both northern and southern california.

Solidmch
07-12-2007, 8:38 PM
with a fast 125 speer tnt load in 308 you can whack em at pretty good distance and it is a devastating hit.

I hit one at 250 yrds. It was grrrreat. Ifelt like Tony The Tiger.

:18:

250 yards

Solidmch
07-12-2007, 8:42 PM
Coyotes are not pests? they sell false dream to migrants from 3rd world countries and profit on human suffering.....

oh wait.

What about a trusty 12-GA with buck shot?

Yes they undermine our laws and support John Edwards.

:hammer:

Blue
07-15-2007, 3:41 PM
Any experts in the Santa Cruz Mountains with tips or ideas.

I'm in San Jose and have a couple boxes of Winchester 45gr Varmint loads that I've taken a Coyote with. They work great on squirrels too :D

damon1272
07-15-2007, 4:10 PM
Those Winchester 45 gr rounds are pretty awesome. The damage that they do on a prarie dog much less a coyote is substancial.

fireblast713
07-15-2007, 6:18 PM
This may be a stupid question... but do you need a permit to take Coyote's?

damon1272
07-15-2007, 6:43 PM
Yes, you need a hunting license. No special extra stamp like for upland game. The good thing though is that there is no season or limit on them.:D

fireblast713
07-15-2007, 6:55 PM
Do you guys like skin them for fur or something? Can you only take them from certain areas?

RANGER295
07-15-2007, 7:06 PM

I have some friends and clients that I would like you to tell that to and hope that you are armed. It is obvious that you are not involved in agriculture. When you have seen sheep and goats with their guts ripped out by the little buggers, multiple head killed with only small amounts actually consumed, or when you have had to make thousands of dollars of drip line repairs on one ranch alone in a year because they have chewed the drip lines, or when you have had a friend who’s kid has been attacked by one (luckily one of the ranch dogs was close by), then I will take that seriously. In general I am a firm believer of only killing what you will eat. My exception is killing pests as it appears you believe as well. I am here to tell you without a doubt, these are pests. There are some pictures of coyotes that have been killed in this thread, I think it only fair to show some stuff that they have killed. If any of the mods think any of these pictures are over the top, please remove them.

You can see that most of these kills do not have much eaten off of them
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/stanstateag07/c29.jpg
This one they tore off the udder in an attack from behind

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/stanstateag07/c18.jpg
Two lambs that were both killed but next to no feeding

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/stanstateag07/c8.jpg
Attacked at the neck

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/stanstateag07/232-coyote-feeds.jpg
Here the coyote is tearing out the small intestine. For some reason that is one of their favorite parts of the sheep.

m24armorer
07-15-2007, 10:17 PM
1 down, looks like 3 to go. Worked up a 80 grain subsonic load that seems to work well up to 75 meters. Supressed SPR with Eotech 553 and a PVS-14 behind it.

When I finish the new can I'll try some supersonic V-Max and see what the neighbor thinks. We are well wooded and it should help dampen the supersonic crack.

Thanks all for your input!

aplinker
07-15-2007, 11:29 PM
1 down, looks like 3 to go. Worked up a 80 grain subsonic load that seems to work well up to 75 meters. Supressed SPR with Eotech 553 and a PVS-14 behind it.

Man. I'm jealous. I'm curious to know what you did to get a supressor. I think OSHA needs to come to our defense and insist all firearms be supressed. :D

CavTrooper
07-16-2007, 3:43 AM
Is it legal to hunt in CA with a supressed weapon? Most states do not allow it, citing concerns of poaching.

(EDIT)

From the hunting regs (pg46 of 2007-2008 CA mammal hunting regs):

"firearms: It is always unlawful to:
Fail to send a complete written report to the Department within 48 hours after killing or wounding
while hunting, any human being, or domestic animal belonging to another, or after witnessing
such killing or wounding.
Use a shotgun larger than 10 gauge; Use, for the taking of any game bird or game mammal, a
shotgun capable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined; Use or
possess shotshells containing shot size larger than No. BB in lead or No. T in steel when hunting
migratory game birds; Use shot that is not loose in the shell for taking resident small game and
migratory game birds; Possess a machine gun, SILENCER, shotgun with barrel less than 18 inches
in length, or rifle with barrel less than 16 inches in length."

(capitalization added)

fireblast713
07-16-2007, 6:39 AM
I was under the impression that suppressors were illegal to own in Kalifornia... period, so I'm assuming hunting with them is also illegal...

m24armorer
07-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Fish and Game are quoting state firearms law regarding mg's etc. Dusk and dawn is perfect for yodies.

Thats why a PVS-14 works so well, you can adjust the gain.

And legal.....

gunrun45
07-17-2007, 12:11 AM
If you are a licensed trapper in CA you can have all kinds of toys... Our county contracted trapper has a surpressed 22 that he uses to shoot downed animals, birds, etc.. with to great effect.

I know you can't use a night scope though as a non-licensed citizen (ie normal gun owner). That is considered a "sniper scope" here in CA... sorry to burst your bubble on that one.

m24armorer (sp?) is a licensed class II permit holder acording ot his military small arms web page. This allows him to legally use/ posess such devices.

FatKatMatt
07-17-2007, 12:20 AM
I have some friends and clients that I would like you to tell that to and hope that you are armed. It is obvious that you are not involved in agriculture. When you have seen sheep and goats with their guts ripped out by the little buggers, multiple head killed with only small amounts actually consumed, or when you have had to make thousands of dollars of drip line repairs on one ranch alone in a year because they have chewed the drip lines, or when you have had a friend who’s kid has been attacked by one (luckily one of the ranch dogs was close by), then I will take that seriously. In general I am a firm believer of only killing what you will eat. My exception is killing pests as it appears you believe as well. I am here to tell you without a doubt, these are pests. There are some pictures of coyotes that have been killed in this thread, I think it only fair to show some stuff that they have killed. If any of the mods think any of these pictures are over the top, please remove them.

I spoke out of ignorance, as I've never had to deal with coyotes in my suburban neighborhood. Obviously they are quite a pest, and deserve a good killing.

CavTrooper
07-17-2007, 5:36 AM
Being a class II permit holder doesnt exempt you from the F&G hunting regs, and the page cited above is not the F&G quoting firearms laws, it them stating the hunting regs. If you want clarification, you should speak with your local CO, hopefully before you are stopped while hunting with your can.

CalNRA
07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I spoke out of ignorance, as I've never had to deal with coyotes in my suburban neighborhood. Obviously they are quite a pest, and deserve a good killing.

there is a reason why Coyotes are a problem. My buddy has a small back yard ranch that he raises sheep, chickens, and keeps a few horses. The Coyotes would kill them just for fun(poachers?) Every time we go visit we sit in the barn with our shotguns and wait for the Coyotes to come. Apparently I'm welcome there :)

GUN FREAK
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
They are now at the beach. They run down the flood controlls. They should be stop at all cost. :43:

lawnrevenge
07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Michael Savage reported on a pair getting shot in Golden Gate Park...Too many.

m24armorer
07-17-2007, 3:49 PM
Looks like they are killing the chickens at the Metcalf range also.

redneckshootist
07-17-2007, 4:05 PM
I hunt them all the time the best time is at night. We watch with night vision they come in for the chickens, and sheep, when they get close enough we light them up with spots and open fire.

xdimitrix
07-17-2007, 5:56 PM
Just two things I would add:
First Coyotes are non game animals so use the correct regulations here: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2007/mammalregs07.html#475
Second, historically the wolves were the main predators in much of the US. It's only been with their extinction that coyotes took over. Wolf packs tend to hunt and eradicate coyotes to remove the competition. Coyotes have filled in the hole left by lack of wolves.

RANGER295
07-17-2007, 7:26 PM

I assumed that and just took the opportunity to inform you and anyone else that does not have a rural or agricultural background that has experienced their destruction just as I would hope you would inform me about something I had no experience with. That is how we all learn. I just reread what I wrote and it may have come across a bit strong. If so, I did not intend it to. I have some friends that get really heated about these guys. One of my clients was telling me today that when he started up the drip lines for this one 87 acre vineyard this spring, that he had to repair over 1,200 places where they had chewed it. That is just over a dollar per coupling, plus wages for a crew that spent a day and a half on it.:(

FatKatMatt
07-17-2007, 8:20 PM
Ugh, that's terrible. I know it's not nearly the same thing, but at my old man's house in Clearlake he's got a major deer problem. The neighbors feed the deer, and now they're not afraid of people and come down to his house all the time to eat his flowers and young saplings. On top of that, they erode the hillsides when they pass through. He's had to reinforce the hill he lives on numerous times, among other things. Good thing is, deer season is coming up and we both plan to buy some A zone tags to take the bucks out. Good hunting everyone.