PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 questions

ulpian
09-23-2012, 2:11 AM
Hello all, I was offer to purchase a new Remington 700 Police in .308 at a very reasonable price, just a bit more than the sps varmint model. My question is how is the 700 Police shoot? Will I expect to heavily modify it to make it shoot sub moa or it is pretty much good out of the box? I do not have much experience with bolt action rifle, but I do plan to learn to shoot long range. So, this will be my first serious long gun. And for beginner, which scope and reticle are suitable?

glockman19
09-23-2012, 7:03 AM
Mine is a tac driver and capable of a 100 yard shot exactly where you put the crosshairs with a cold bore first shot...all other shots create a clover. 200 yard shots all within a dime.

pontiacpratt
09-23-2012, 9:31 AM
My SPS with no true mechanical upgrades, It does have an aftermarket Bell and Carlson stock modded to accept detachable magazines, was pinging steel plates out to nearly 900 yards no problem. Buy with confidence

donw
09-23-2012, 10:35 AM
the rem 700 will do you well...

huckberry668
09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I prefer the PSS. Yes, they do shoot sub MOA groups out of the box. You may want to skim bed the action when you become a good enough shot to notice the precision consistency. Also, the Remington stock trigger is good. You can learn to adjust it later with good instructions on the web.

I'd suggest getting a high quality (steel) scope base, rings and scope. A bad/cheap scope would cause you unimaginable frustration. My preference would be 30mm tube, 40+ mm objective lense (at least), 10x or more magnification on the high end, adjustable windage/elevation turrets and parallax adjustable.

I like Leupold TMR reticle. You'll find used ones on sniper forums for much lower cost than new. Mil-Dot to me is hard to judge the portions of the dot. Hashes are much easier. for lower cost scopes, I had a good experience with Millett TRS scope and apparently so do others on 'midwayusa.com' and amazon.

My buddy had a $300 Nikon Buckmaster MilDot 4-14x40 w/ side focus and it served him well out to 800 yards in a long range class out in the desert. I like Burris scopes with ballistic plex. It makes it easy to shoot out to 500 yards w/o adjusting the turrets. both have excellent optical quality.

HBchevelle68
09-23-2012, 2:48 PM
Hello all, I was offer to purchase a new Remington 700 Police in .308 at a very reasonable price, just a bit more than the sps varmint model. My question is how is the 700 Police shoot? Will I expect to heavily modify it to make it shoot sub moa or it is pretty much good out of the box? I do not have much experience with bolt action rifle, but I do plan to learn to shoot long range. So, this will be my first serious long gun. And for beginner, which scope and reticle are suitable?

I have one, I love it! VERY accurate, with some decent glass on it, timney trigger and my own reloads i can consistantly get 5 shot groups sub MOA at 100 yards

Cadre
09-23-2012, 3:05 PM
Had one traded it for a ps90 but hated myself for doing it. She was sub moa out of the box.

mixicus
09-23-2012, 3:13 PM
I've got to work with multiple stock 700's in both a PSS and varmint configurations. Both rifles will be 5 shot sub-MOA out of the box with top shelf ammo (Federal GMM or Black Hills Match). Put some good glass(which is a thread unto itself) on top and you'll be good to go. Then it's just getting a bit of instruction and several thousand rounds down range.

ar15barrels
09-23-2012, 8:27 PM
Check out the caprc forums for better advice on precision rifles...

hsiehjohn
09-23-2012, 8:46 PM
Take a look at a Tikka, it might change your mind on the Remmy

.300 Weatherby Mag
09-24-2012, 8:03 PM
First time I ever shot this rifle... In the wind at 100 yards... Best 5 shot group with factory loads... That's a dime below the group.. I like this Remington 700 PSS...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/012.jpg

I will say one thing.. This rifle was built before Remington was bought by the Freedom Group... All of the Remington rifles and shotguns I purchased after that time have had problems ranging from mild teething issues, to chambers and bores that were out spec resulting in either horrendous accuracy or in some cases the chambers were so undersized or roughly machined they wouldn't chamber rounds.... If I were to buy a new rifle right now, I would look elsewhere, Savage, Tikka, Ruger, Winchester and Weatherby being some good places to look...

Mirador
10-05-2012, 2:09 PM
You can do obtain amazing result with this rifle right out of the box. Invest in a good 20MOA s-base with good glass and she will produce amazing results.