PDA

View Full Version : AK or Garand?

Scuba Steve33
09-22-2012, 9:41 PM
No, not which is better. Which should my next gun purchase be?

I know the two are very different and I will be getting both so the question is simply which one first. Whichever one I don't get first will be my next purchase after. For what I want to spend on each the price is about the same. I'm bored and trying to cut back on drinking so extra time on Calguns makes sense. Just curious what you guys have to say. Also it may play into my deciding factor but the only other center fire rifle I have is a Mosin Nagant.

C.W.M.V.
09-22-2012, 9:48 PM
Dude, AK all the way.
Garand is alright for nostalgic reasons, but it is an obsolete platform.
What caliber AK? 7.62x39, still cheap. 5.45x39, also cheap (and accurate, and penetrates better than 5.56).
30-06...ya every time it goes bang a dollar disappears from your bank account.

Scuba Steve33
09-22-2012, 9:52 PM
Dude, AK all the way.
Garand is alright for nostalgic reasons, but it is an obsolete platform.
What caliber AK? 7.62x39, still cheap. 5.45x39, also cheap (and accurate, and penetrates better than 5.56).
30-06...ya every time it goes bang a dollar disappears from your bank account.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I'd get the AK in 7.62x39. Price of ammo does play a slight factor in my decision except I would just be firing the Garand less. I'm definitely buying a Garand for the nostalgic reasons. Like I said these will be my next two gun purchases so I'm just curious what you guys say should be first. Also with amazing Yee's quest to have a gun free CA AKs are more at risk than Garands so that's another factor.

acaligunner
09-22-2012, 10:02 PM
The AK is more of a modern AW, the Garand a Battle rifle. Both have seen there time in the battlefield, and both are proven.

The AK carries more ammo in the 'mag', is probably lighter, recoils lighter, and is just as rugged.

The Grand is a classic, one I have not shot, so I will stop there.

How much ammo do you have, mags/clips, and what do you plan to carry/depend on for shooting/SD?

I like the AK, but both will serve you well, good luck.

acaligunner

Lagduf
09-22-2012, 10:03 PM
AKs aren't going away any time soon.

Garands though, well - when they're all bought up they're all bought up and no one is (most likely) ever going to make them again.

Get one from the CMP with the quickness.

BradleyAbrams
09-23-2012, 2:45 AM
Buy a Garand; but first, BUILD an AK ( 7.62 X 39 )

--

30Cal
09-23-2012, 4:54 AM
Garand--good sights and a trigger worthy of being on a rifle.

The AK has neither. Shot both; M1 hands down is superior.

spetsnaz
09-23-2012, 4:57 AM
find a good quality ak and call it a day

artoaster
09-23-2012, 5:01 AM
Build a quality AK and call it a day.

The Soup Nazi
09-23-2012, 6:13 AM
My vote is for the Garand, I own one and have shot AKs before. AKs aren't going away anytime soon, but there definitely is a finite amount of M1s floating around.

Reductio
09-23-2012, 6:29 AM
They're still making AK's.

Get the Garand first, you will not regret it, the price is only going to go up, and the things are an absolute joy to shoot. Heck, I'm considering getting another.

cannon
09-23-2012, 6:40 AM
Garand!

Rule .308
09-23-2012, 6:53 AM
I own and shoot both. In my opinion there is not even a choice to be made here, get a Garand from the CMP and don't look back.

CK_32
09-23-2012, 7:11 AM
I'll trade you my AK for a garand right now!

So you know my answer

Scuba Steve33
09-23-2012, 7:20 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have thought about building an AK and while I have read it's fairly easy especially at build parties it still seems a bit overwhelming but I'm definitely not ruling it out.

Also, I have fired plenty of AKs and a Garand so I at least have time on the range with both of them.

AKs aren't going away any time soon.

Garands though, well - when they're all bought up they're all bought up and no one is (most likely) ever going to make them again.

Get one from the CMP with the quickness.

This is the main thing that is making me seriously consider getting a Garand first. Right now the price for both is about the same (at least what I want to pay) but if I get an AK first I don't know how long it would be until I can pick up a Garand and who knows what the market for them will be at then. I do plan to get a service grade from CMP.

tujungatoes
09-23-2012, 7:22 AM
I LOVE me some AK's....Trust me when I say get the garand first.;) They are flat out awesome rifles.

Capybara
09-23-2012, 7:23 AM
You'll love it, I certainly love mine. Buy a few cans of the HXP ammo, only .50 per round to shoot .30-06

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/CMPGarandFull.jpg

IEatZ28
09-23-2012, 8:09 AM
Garand first, AKs are everywhere and everybody and their mother has one. I'm sure Garands are harder to come by. But you have to BUILD the AK. I've got 2 saigas and an underfolder. AKs are great guns to own.

donw
09-23-2012, 9:17 AM
i'm one of the the few, on this forum, i'd wager, who trained, and qualified with the "US rifle, caliber .30, M1 Garand, gas operated, air cooled, semi-automatic, shoulder fired rifle with a maximum EFFECTIVE range of 1000 yards" in the US Army.

i was in the US Army in the year 1960...standard issue was the M1 Garand, M1 carbine, Browning BAR, colt 1911 for the soldier of the time. the M60 MG and M14 rifle were just coming into issue.

the M1 Garand, while some call it "Outdated" or "Outmoded" will hold it's own against any battle rifle out there.

it may not be in production any longer but it is most assuredly, a landmark in combat rifle technology.

when you think about it, the M1 Garand is not a "Step backward" like some would believe, but is a parallel step in many regards; the Italian army modified many M1 garands to accept a detachable magazine as an example.

when you add the weight and bulk that current magazines add...there may be some advantage to the M1 'clip' method of feeding such a rifle...no magazines to lose or to malfunction.

the M1 Garand may be out of issue and some believe it's obsolete...but is it really? i don't think so.

go M1 Garand first.

Ibefuz
09-23-2012, 9:42 AM
'Merica. That is all

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-23-2012, 10:05 AM
It would depend on what other firearms you have in your collection so far. If it was me, i'd pick the AK, but thats just my own preference

Thomas1190
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Get a service grade M1 from the CMP, $650 shipped to your front door. The current service grades are outstanding, great condition. Also load up on some HXP 30-06 from the CMP for .50 a round. Best deal around by far. If i had another 650 to spend id be putting in another order for an M1 today lol.

Like everyone has said, AKs are everywhere. You can always pick one up. M1s are at their prime right now. Good selection and good price from CMP.

Cali-Shooter
09-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Get whichever one has a better deal first. Then hunt to get the next one.

alain209
09-23-2012, 10:30 AM
AK. PERIOD.

kurac
09-23-2012, 10:46 AM
M1 Garand, I shot mine on Saturday, in a highpower match, practice for next weeks Garand match.

AK's are fun, but a Garand will put a smile on your face from ear to ear :)

LAKings22
09-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I would go with the AK

CK_32
09-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm really shocked at the votes...

Why does no one love the garand? That's like the rifle of all rifles to own IMO.

If I could afford one I'd have one maybe 2..

.22guy
09-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Garand first. As others have said, they aren't making them anymore.

dinosauraphael
09-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Garand. It's more fun to shoot a 30-06. What else could be better for your next gun?

Tank 57
09-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd buy the AK first for a different reason.I think Garands will be legally obtainable longer.

Get a nice AK,then CMP Garand ASAP.

wash
09-23-2012, 11:17 AM
If you don't know or aren't particular about the type of AK you get, get the Garand first.

CMP Garands are going to dry up eventually.

AKs will be around for decades to come.

Unless you want some particular AK that is no longer produced and the kits are selling out fast, what you want should be available when you are ready to buy your second rifle.

If you are not particular about a certain style of build, consider an AK converted Saiga. They are easier than most builds and the quality is there (mostly).

Shooter88
09-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Garand. Garand, Garand, Garand, Garand, Garand.

Cessnapilot89
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Garand all the way. One of the few rifles that I own that I would never sell

Munny$hot
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd buy a Grand, best battle rifle ever made.

gwgn02
09-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Both. This is guns my brothers...you CAN have it all!

Jeepers
09-23-2012, 12:33 PM
well lets see a ak47 is just crude sheet metal cheap to shoot and Garand is a piece of art and a buck a pop....

with that said i own a AK and really want a Garand :D

LRShooter
09-23-2012, 1:14 PM
Garand. Get two and skip the AK.

regalado1
09-23-2012, 5:49 PM
GARAND

boxcutter3005
09-23-2012, 5:59 PM
Well, one thing to considered, the process to get a Garand is a little bit longer, whereas an AK is probably a 10-day wait away. If you're looking for something now, the AK, if you dont mind waiting, or want to get the whole process just done, the garand.

five.five-six
09-23-2012, 6:29 PM
You asked what I would get. I already have 2 AKs, 74 and a 47. I recently had to sell my garand to get my family into a new home and I miss it.

That said, I almost never shot it.... I mostly shoot my ARs and sometimes my AKs but AK bullet buttons suck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Bigtwin
09-23-2012, 6:40 PM
I think you know the concensus, if you are going to get both, get the Garand first. The good ones are drying up(still out there but not forever)! Then you can save back up for an AK pattern rifle.

ky2970
09-24-2012, 3:47 AM
Personally, I would take the Garand for its history. Quick reloading with a stripper clip is quite the experience as opposed to a mag change. It really is up to whatever you plan on doing with them.

Scuba Steve33
09-27-2012, 9:50 PM
I appreciate all the replies. While the AK will definitely be shot more due to ammo costs and may be the rifle I want first due to what I have an do not already have I think I am going to go with the Garand first. One of my concerns was the prices jumping due to low supply or even worse, they run out and you guys all brought that up and it's something I cannot ignore. I'm not making this purchase tonight but will soon and while I'm sure Garands won't disappear by then I'm not willing to take the chance when AKs will be around forever. Thanks again for all the input.

I think I am going to go with a service grade from CMP. I've read nothing but good reviews from rifles of that grade and it doesn't break the bank.

NorCalXJ
09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
garand, only because there are going to be fewer and fewer

sdlocalkid85
09-28-2012, 8:17 AM
Garand baby!!!! Gotta love that accuracy and distance! Being a owner of both, including a Yugo underfolder, Romanian ak47, and Norinco mak90..... no comparison to the garand, unless ammo price is your concern.

Triad
09-28-2012, 8:22 AM
Wait, I can buy a CMP Garand and have it shipped to my door? How does that work?

t0kie
09-28-2012, 8:23 AM
Like others have said, get the Garand first while it's still available.

gotshotgun?
09-28-2012, 8:27 AM
Get 5 Garands :)

Garandimal
09-28-2012, 8:37 AM
Wait, I can buy a CMP Garand and have it shipped to my door? How does that work?

California thinks they're antique floor lamps.

Shhhhhhh. :D

Red Devil
09-28-2012, 8:40 AM
Yes, by all means, go w/ the AK.

She's a real looker.

SoCalXD
09-28-2012, 8:45 AM
As a primary, personal self defense rifle for any and all possible situations, the AK would be the better solution due to it's higher rate of fire, higher durability and cheaper ammo. Since you don't have a primary self defense rifle yet, the AK is the answer, and the sooner the better!

If I were you, I would then spend your "M1-Garand" money on ammo, mags, full kit and range time with your AK... master the carbine, master the platform, before adding another weapon to your inventory.

The man who owns only one rifle should be respected, for he has probably mastered it's use!

Ziggy91
09-28-2012, 8:46 AM
Get a poll going... this could take all day, and I'm interested in seeing the numbers too because I'm slightly leaning in both directions for my next purchase.

edit: Or just count all the posts supporting each... unless you're lazy :D

Canucky
09-28-2012, 8:52 AM
Personally, I would take the Garand for its history. Quick reloading with a stripper clip is quite the experience as opposed to a mag change. It really is up to whatever you plan on doing with them.

Can you explain "stripper clip" use in a garand. I know of only using EN Bloc magazines. And I vote for the M1.

Mesa Tactical
09-28-2012, 9:00 AM
In May 2003, in answer to a question posted on rec.guns, someone named Tracy offered the following reasons why everyone should own an M1 Garand:

Satisfaction!

It satisfies the eyes. It looks warm, robust, serious, and capable. It looks like victory, freedom and liberation. It looks friendly. It does not look evil. It does not look delicate. It does not look cheap.

It satisfies the ears. The clocklike schnick when you pull the bolt back. The warning click as you shove home another 8 round clip. The massive, solid slam as the bolt rams another round into the chamber. The deep throated bark of the muzzle as you fire away. The final Ka-Ting as the empty clip is ejected. The horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip.

It satisfies the touch. The warm sculpted wood. The curve of the stock. The curl of the bolt lug. The take-up of the trigger. The robust, solid, yet unsharp push of the kick.

It satisfies the soul. It is the defender of liberty. It is the champion of victory. It is the guarantor of freedom. It will not be used to rob banks. No terrorist will unleash it on a crowd of unarmed victims. No gangster will use it to shoot little girls while missing his imagined gangster enemies. It is the good guy's weapon. It is just the ticket to liberate a country. It opens the doors of concentration camps. It saves people from tyranny. It topples dictators. It squashes fascists. It pushes communists behind their walls. It defends the homeland. It provides for the common defense. It is necessary for the security of a free state. It brings joy to women and children as they fire it. It strikes fear in the hearts of those that oppose freedom. It makes friends at the shooting range. It reminds us of the cost of freedom. Its lavish expense is appropriately justified.

It is your duty as an American to own one. Get one now. Buy ammo. Use it. Never mind the price, find the best one you can. You have no excuse. Production lines are starting back up. The time is now.

Be careful with your thumb.

AKs are nice, but only a Garand is a Garand.

RAMCHARGER
09-28-2012, 9:18 AM
There is nothing like a real full size, forged steel and wood, .30 cal, battle rifle.
My son has one and the closest thing I can get to the same excitement is my .308 Saiga. I like the M1 BETTER!

Uxi
09-28-2012, 9:57 AM
Garand. They're only going to get more expensive and you owe it to yourself to own the weapon that won WW2. And at least one instance of Garand Thumb. :D

Timthetwin
09-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Garand is my vote. AKs are going to be around for a hell of a long time, and it does not look like the price will drastically change in the near future do to their volume of production. M1s on the other hand are harder to find and are not produced in mass like the AK. Go Garand you will not be sorry.

GeetarGoul
09-28-2012, 5:52 PM
Get the Garand if you want to hit what you are aiming at.

tujungatoes
09-28-2012, 8:41 PM
Get the Garand if you want to hit what you are aiming at.

Strange...I generally hit whatever I aim at with a Garand or an AK

Capybara
09-28-2012, 9:53 PM
Damn, that Tracy is a poet. Plus this made me bust a gut laughing.

" The horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip."

In May 2003, in answer to a question posted on rec.guns, someone named Tracy offered the following reasons why everyone should own an M1 Garand:

tujungatoes
09-29-2012, 6:38 AM
" The horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip."

:43:That's horrible. Funny...but still horrible

Really there is no reason for that to happen to anyone though. Keep this in mind when you get your Garand OP.

Load like this. With the side of your hand restraining the charging handle.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/images2/e62-3.jpg

Not like this

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jVG_fWYD67o/0.jpg

Your thumb will thank you.;)

Scuba Steve33
09-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Yup, at least from what I understand. You just have to meet their requirements.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

As a primary, personal self defense rifle for any and all possible situations, the AK would be the better solution due to it's higher rate of fire, higher durability and cheaper ammo. Since you don't have a primary self defense rifle yet, the AK is the answer, and the sooner the better!

If I were you, I would then spend your "M1-Garand" money on ammo, mags, full kit and range time with your AK... master the carbine, master the platform, before adding another weapon to your inventory.

The man who owns only one rifle should be respected, for he has probably mastered it's use!

I have two home/self defense weapons (shotgun and handgun) but no rifle. The only centerfire rifle I own is a Mosin.

Get a poll going... this could take all day, and I'm interested in seeing the numbers too because I'm slightly leaning in both directions for my next purchase.

edit: Or just count all the posts supporting each... unless you're lazy :D

I tried editing my post soon after I made it but I don't think I can add a poll. Anyone know how to?

That was awesome haha.

DIRTMAN556
09-29-2012, 6:39 PM
Great info on the CMP purchase! Thanks!

Scuba Steve33
10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Well my order to the CMP was sent in this past week for a service grade Garand, a 25 pack of clips and 200 rounds of ammo. Can't wait.

However, I am looking for an AK to buy now lol. Just thought I'd update everyone.

Ron-Solo
10-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Garand all the way. They will dry up soon, just like the carbines did. I'm glad I got my National Potal Meter carbine when I did. Both my CMP rifles were service grade and are beauties.

I'd trade my AK for a Garand in a heartbeat, and mine is a beautiful Romy G on an NDS receiver with Timbersmith wood stocks. Great rifle, but it's no Garand.

glockwise2000
10-28-2012, 12:20 AM
AKs are here to stay for a while or maybe longer or forever. I would buy the Garand first because once the supply dries up...... they'll be gone...... and the prices would be really crazy. Then you would be sorry.

Bhobbs
10-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Garand

You are buying an actual military rifle that has history, as built and designed. The AK you get won't be a military rifle. Unless you have 30 round mags for an AK, there isn't much of an advantage for the AK.

Revolver Ocelot
10-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Get a CMP garand while they still have nice ones.

MistWolf
10-28-2012, 2:36 AM
Garand first. Get an 03-A3 next. Or an M14. A red blooded American should have all three. And an M1 Carbine. Don't forget the 1911 to complete the set.

If you still feel there's something missing, get a Jeep

MrPlink
10-28-2012, 2:45 AM
Get the garand, you never know when WWII will break out again.

BJames
10-28-2012, 8:02 AM
Find a CMP M1 Garand Match/Course. I did. I bought my M1 from the CMP that week. $625 Service Grade with new wood, National Match barrel. Great shooter. Hope to do more matches.

Scuba Steve33
10-28-2012, 8:52 AM
AKs are here to stay for a while or maybe longer or forever. I would buy the Garand first because once the supply dries up...... they'll be gone...... and the prices would be really crazy. Then you would be sorry.

I was actually considering picking up a couple more and setting aside just for that purpose. I don't plan to ever not have an M1 and would hate to see how valuable the only one I have is.

hellayella
10-28-2012, 9:38 AM
get both and u'd be happier as hell u did

Rob454
10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I had AKs before, and while they are fun to shoot a Garand is a blast. Lots of guys don't like them cause they don't look tactical and you can't bolt a bunch of crap on them .. That's why I think a lot of people think of Garands as outdated. Personally I would take a Garand over a AK if I had a choice between the two to purchase. And let's face it all the ak fans are right a 30-06 actually requires a man to shoot it so you might as well go for the AK girlie man.

I saw you decided to man up and got a Garand. You are no longer a girlie man.

Just so you know back 20 years ago i walked into b&b guns and there was a old guy trying to sell a Garand to the shop. nobody there wanted it. The dude looked like a WWII vet and the gun looked like. It was in WWII. He was telling themhe would take $100 for it. And nobody there wanted it. To this day I kick myself for not buying it. Not. Only for the price but what it represented. Everyone e there was more interested in mak90s and ARs

Cato
10-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I'd get an AK; the government is always trying to make those illegal.

lauviahcreative
10-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Garand's are cool if you plan on storming the beaches of Normandy, or crawling through some trench in France while assaulting Waffen SS.

In all honesty I really do enjoy the outrageous muzzle rise of the Garand while shooting, and the incredibly loud blast. It lets me know I am doing everything right.

Seriously though, from a collector's viewpoint I do enjoy having a bunch of antiques in my closet, dusting them off to go strut around with, and then putting them back in my closet.

That's the best way to spend money! :chris:

CinnamonBear723
10-28-2012, 2:22 PM
The garand is by no means obsolete. In fact, many of them are very good shooters and can be taken hunting as well. It is one of the most influential guns in american history. The AK is a good gun, but its a commie gun. I buy a garand over an AK anyday of the week.

Grumpy-old-man
10-28-2012, 3:03 PM
If you are going to buy both, I would look at it as a bit of a gamble; here's what I mean. If the politics goes one way, there could be more panic buying leading to lower availability and higher prices on the AK. IMHO the Garand will be somewhat insulated due to it's 8 shot en-bloc configuration. OTOH, if the politics go the other way, AK prices may drop in that panic buying will have ended for now. All those like myself who have been stocking up will be 'dried up' for funds and it could potentially be a buyers market (property tax time at the gun shop is always a good chance to score some nice goodies that someone overspent on when they need cold, hard $$ and they need it NOW).

So, if you feel lucky, get the Garand first and let prices drop on AK's. If you feel like things might not go 'pro-gunowner' in the near future, get the AK first. If you can afford 'em both now, take the plunge. Just make sure you don't overspend or you will be selling one or another beloved piece out of your collection at tax time.

All the best,
Grumpy
PS If this was a "I can only get one, ever" and you live in California, by all means get the Garand. You have plenty of firepower, more range and hitting power, and no issues with xporting your off list gun to the range. And this is from an AK owner. Just my 2 cents....
PPS Argh! I should have read more carefully! Oh well. Good call on the Garand. You will NOT regret it.

BHLiu11
10-28-2012, 3:16 PM
No, not which is better. Which should my next gun purchase be?

I know the two are very different and I will be getting both so the question is simply which one first. Whichever one I don't get first will be my next purchase after. For what I want to spend on each the price is about the same. I'm bored and trying to cut back on drinking so extra time on Calguns makes sense. Just curious what you guys have to say. Also it may play into my deciding factor but the only other center fire rifle I have is a Mosin Nagant.

Go with Garand .. CMP is running low on Garands. Once they are gone, they are gone.

Scuba Steve33
10-28-2012, 3:36 PM
If you are going to buy both, I would look at it as a bit of a gamble; here's what I mean. If the politics goes one way, there could be more panic buying leading to lower availability and higher prices on the AK. IMHO the Garand will be somewhat insulated due to it's 8 shot en-bloc configuration. OTOH, if the politics go the other way, AK prices may drop in that panic buying will have ended for now. All those like myself who have been stocking up will be 'dried up' for funds and it could potentially be a buyers market (property tax time at the gun shop is always a good chance to score some nice goodies that someone overspent on when they need cold, hard $$ and they need it NOW).

So, if you feel lucky, get the Garand first and let prices drop on AK's. If you feel like things might not go 'pro-gunowner' in the near future, get the AK first. If you can afford 'em both now, take the plunge. Just make sure you don't overspend or you will be selling one or another beloved piece out of your collection at tax time.

All the best,
Grumpy
PS If this was a "I can only get one, ever" and you live in California, by all means get the Garand. You have plenty of firepower, more range and hitting power, and no issues with xporting your off list gun to the range. And this is from an AK owner. Just my 2 cents....
PPS Argh! I should have read more carefully! Oh well. Good call on the Garand. You will NOT regret it.

Haha thanks for the post though. You voiced my exact concerns I initially had. I ordered the Garand now because it is something I can purchase right away. The AK I have to do a little shopping which is what I'm currently doing. I didn't plan to buy both so close just to spread it out but I can afford them and want to grab an AK before prices really spike as they seem to be climbing already. I also won't risk not getting one in hopes of prices dropping and kicking myself if they are banned and I do not own one. It's just a risk I'm not willing to take.

Go with Garand .. CMP is running low on Garands. Once they are gone, they are gone.

Already sent in my order. Thinking about picking up a few more if I can soon to stash away to have once they are gone. I know prices will skyrocket once they are dried up.

mcmikeblues7
10-28-2012, 6:52 PM
I read many of the comments and I can tell that many people have not shot an m1 garand. It is extremely fun to shoot. I have shot both the AK and the garand. While the AK is a great rifle, the M1 is on a different level. By far, the M1 is the gun that I most enjoy shooting, it is a blast. Along with that reason, the Garand is getting more and more expensive, but is still quite affordable. Most people would agree that in a few years, the garand will generally go for upwards of $1,000.
yes, the ammo is expensive, even if you buy it from CMP it is about 50 cents a round, but it with the AK, all you (well I can't speak for you, but this is my experience) will want to do is blast round after round going through much more ammo than the AK, and you still will not enjoy it as much. The AK does have available magazines at a lower price compared to other detachable magazines. But the en-bloc clips are lighter, smaller, and cheaper.
The Garand is also just a better shooting rifle than the AK.

Beetle Bailey
10-28-2012, 7:12 PM
Congrats on the Garand :thumbsup: Every guy who ever fired one of mine loved it.

lilro
10-28-2012, 7:24 PM
Get the Garand. They are becoming more unavailable every day. Eventually they will be gone. On the other hand, the AK price is going to skyrocket over the next few years, and you'll be paying a lot more if you wait too long. But you can always save more money.

EDIT: See you went with the Garand. Good choice.

Grumpy-old-man
10-28-2012, 7:40 PM
Haha thanks for the post though. You voiced my exact concerns I initially had. I ordered the Garand now because it is something I can purchase right away. The AK I have to do a little shopping which is what I'm currently doing. I didn't plan to buy both so close just to spread it out but I can afford them and want to grab an AK before prices really spike as they seem to be climbing already. I also won't risk not getting one in hopes of prices dropping and kicking myself if they are banned and I do not own one. It's just a risk I'm not willing to take.

Already sent in my order. Thinking about picking up a few more if I can soon to stash away to have once they are gone. I know prices will skyrocket once they are dried up.

Hi Scuba Steve33;

If at all possible you ought to visually inspect any AK you're thinking about buying, rather than just ordering (you may have to order unseen in this market, I have but I don't like it). Here's what I mean - the WASR is bad-mouthed pretty badly in some fora, yet my GP 10/63 is FLAWLESS. Okay, I got a good one, but then again I got to look it over first and knew it looked good. OTOH, my IO AK has been a real work in progress - no functional issues, but it has almost been like a kit gun with the poor fitting I had to fix (forearm rattled almost 1/8", gas tube badly fitted, hollow rivet head of gas tube lock not expanded (!!!), BC couldn't be removed from the receiver w/o fitting to take down a burr, FS wing badly bent, etc). I thought I had everything worked out, when I noticed that I had put a hairline crack in one front sight wing when straightening it. Okay, got another part on order, JB Weld is in the hairline as a stop-gap, and time to break out the BFH next week when my brandy-new DDR FSB shows up.

So both the IO and the WASR get bad-mouthed, but both of mine do actually work, and work well. The WASR now has over 1000 rounds through it and neither gun has ever jammed, fte, ftf, etc. Would I use either in a SHTF situation - you bet.

Main difference? I had a chance to visually inspect the WASR first and knew going into it that I was getting a good one, where I wouldn't have to treat it like a kit. The IO has caused a few (extra) gray hairs from aggravation, but it is getting there. Maybe if my dealer would have had some extra selection I could have looked 'em over for a sweet one first...

Good luck on whatever you get!
Grumpy

strokesdmb
10-28-2012, 7:45 PM
AK all the way

Ulis_m86
10-28-2012, 8:14 PM
This thread makes me want both

Donk310
10-28-2012, 8:26 PM
You need to get yourself a Garand while you still can... PERIOD!

Scuba Steve33
10-28-2012, 8:36 PM
Hi Scuba Steve33;

If at all possible you ought to visually inspect any AK you're thinking about buying, rather than just ordering (you may have to order unseen in this market, I have but I don't like it). Here's what I mean - the WASR is bad-mouthed pretty badly in some fora, yet my GP 10/63 is FLAWLESS. Okay, I got a good one, but then again I got to look it over first and knew it looked good. OTOH, my IO AK has been a real work in progress - no functional issues, but it has almost been like a kit gun with the poor fitting I had to fix (forearm rattled almost 1/8", gas tube badly fitted, hollow rivet head of gas tube lock not expanded (!!!), BC couldn't be removed from the receiver w/o fitting to take down a burr, FS wing badly bent, etc). I thought I had everything worked out, when I noticed that I had put a hairline crack in one front sight wing when straightening it. Okay, got another part on order, JB Weld is in the hairline as a stop-gap, and time to break out the BFH next week when my brandy-new DDR FSB shows up.

So both the IO and the WASR get bad-mouthed, but both of mine do actually work, and work well. The WASR now has over 1000 rounds through it and neither gun has ever jammed, fte, ftf, etc. Would I use either in a SHTF situation - you bet.

Main difference? I had a chance to visually inspect the WASR first and knew going into it that I was getting a good one, where I wouldn't have to treat it like a kit. The IO has caused a few (extra) gray hairs from aggravation, but it is getting there. Maybe if my dealer would have had some extra selection I could have looked 'em over for a sweet one first...

Good luck on whatever you get!
Grumpy

Grumpy thanks for the post. :cheers2:

I've been doing my homework on AKs and definitely would prefer to buy in person. The two gun stores I checked out had a ****ty selection, like a single stack WASR for 850 bucks. I laughed and walked out. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll definitely keep them stored when looking. While I wait for the Garand the AK hunt will keep me busy.

You need to get yourself a Garand while you still can... PERIOD!

Already got one on order. :thumbsup: