PDA

View Full Version : How prepared are your weapons for SHTF ?

AleksandreCz
09-22-2012, 6:02 PM
Just Wondering How stocked are you on components and parts for your weapons ? (This is not about my favorite pastime Ammo Hoarding) How many readily available spring pins etc parts do stock for your weapons ? What is your plan for dealing with breakages? and does this posibility affect your weapon buying habbits ?

Intimid8tor
09-22-2012, 6:15 PM
I have extra pins, springs, parts for AR Rifles.

I need to get springs/parts for the Berettas and at least one of the shotguns.

KevinB
09-22-2012, 6:25 PM
My boys shot Service rifle before they joined the military. We have tons of parts and know how to repair any AR platform.

Every firearm we own is good to go.

itisagoodname
09-22-2012, 6:40 PM
I have backup pistols for my backup pistols and backup rifles for mybackup rifles backup rifle. Plus a shotgun.

AleksandreCz
09-22-2012, 6:40 PM
Thats great to hear the reason I brought this up is I was having a conversation with my friend about my trip to a gun show a few weeks ago. I told him that I mostly bought spare parts (whole guns where Unreasonably overpriced there) and his Responce to me was "what the hell do you need 2 extra ar firing pins for they never break" so it got me to thinking how well stocked are the rest of the people out there are and what parts do you stock up on ?

KevinB
09-22-2012, 6:51 PM
Everything wears out or breaks, usually at the worst moment.

AleksandreCz
09-22-2012, 7:01 PM
thats my way of thinking too why not spend an extra 100 $ and have your rifle prepared for almost anything

KevinB
09-22-2012, 7:40 PM
White Oak Armament sells a small parts bench part kit for the AR platform. It is a excellent kit with quality parts.

Gothboy
09-22-2012, 7:47 PM
Interesting concept that Id never thought of. What parts are the common breakages in AR's?
Thank you OP!

Redlion
09-22-2012, 8:08 PM
Having extra parts is fine but I would probably scavenge among all the dead bodies, if ever.

AleksandreCz
09-22-2012, 8:16 PM
Interesting concept that Id never thought of. What parts are the common breakages in AR's?
Thank you OP!
these are not the most common breakages but what could break And I dont have access to numrichs. I have saved up is as previously mentioned extra firing pins All the the springs, one Complete LPK, extra Cam pin, and extra firing pin retaining pins, an extra gas tube, extractor with sping and pin, and all the extra roll pins the most important thing to have with the ar is extra gas rings

Redlion I wish you best of luck with that

phrogg111
09-22-2012, 8:27 PM
I have backup pistols for my backup pistols and backup rifles for mybackup rifles backup rifle. Plus a shotgun.

This is all fine and dandy. I also have these. However, I have body armor that stops AP .308 from point blank. All the guns in the world won't save you if you get hit.

Also, night vision - when the sun goes down, you're not fighting anymore. Do you have NV compatibility? If so, your fight won't end in the dark.

docsmileyface
09-22-2012, 8:30 PM
I've got about 40 or so CR123 batteries for my lasers, lights and optics, and about eight or so component kits to replace all the wear and tear items ie extractor springs, firing pins, detents, ect.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00211-1.jpg

I_Love_My_.38
09-22-2012, 9:20 PM

My strategy aswell

outbrakeridah
09-22-2012, 9:23 PM
I have enough weapon and ammo so if one breaks I'll just grab another one.

speedrrracer
09-22-2012, 9:43 PM
1 full BCG + another bolt for the AR, spring set, pin set and a gas tube.

For the bolt gun, pin set, spring set, extractor and ejector.

For my primary pistol, a barrel, pin set, spring set, guide rod, another recoil spring, striker, ejector, another slide stop lever spring, 4 mag springs.
My wife is opting to go with a wheel gun, and just a spare mainspring.

Yes, I just checked; I didn't have all that memorized.

Given the durability / reliability which these weapons have shown thus far, they should be good for far more rounds then we would ever need from them, and far more rounds than we have stockpiled.

All these weapons would be only for defensive purposes after the SHTF, and we shouldn't have to fire even a fraction of the number rounds these weapons will be capable of discharging. If we do need to fire these weapons that much, we're probably going to die, since we're clearly getting into too many firefights.

AleksandreCz
09-22-2012, 11:23 PM
All these weapons would be only for defensive purposes after the SHTF, and we shouldn't have to fire even a fraction of the number rounds these weapons will be capable of discharging. If we do need to fire these weapons that much, we're probably going to die, since we're clearly getting into too many firefights.

Thats completly understanble and I agree I dont think i will be shooting everyday But stuff happens (overloaded round , or a squib that you didnt notice and fired another etc...)
Here is another question How far do you go in testing your replacement equipment ? 50 or a 100 rounds or just buy it and keep it
I personaly test everything but spings (they are springs they will work) for a few hundred rounds with different ammo I will most likely shoot for my ar its about 100 each of xm 193 m 855 and wolf/tul ammo then a mix of all three to make sure there are no problems.
AK and SKS Get Wolf/tul ammo with a little fiochi mixed in (wich btw is realy accurate stuff I just wish I could find it for less than 10$ a box)
Also just picked up some prvi round nose soft poins wich I cant wait to take hog hunting

smle-man
09-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Thats great to hear the reason I brought this up is I was having a conversation with my friend about my trip to a gun show a few weeks ago. I told him that I mostly bought spare parts (whole guns where Unreasonably overpriced there) and his Responce to me was "what the hell do you need 2 extra ar firing pins for they never break" so it got me to thinking how well stocked are the rest of the people out there are and what parts do you stock up on ?

I have to say I never saw a broken M16 firing pin in 20 years of Army ordnance experience. They failed so infrequently (like never) that the spares in the system were used as nails to hang field gear on. M16 springs wear out and weaken, gas rings wear out, handguards crack and break from dropping the rifle, sights bend and break from dropping the rifle on concrete. My advice would be to keep extra springs and the little cotter pin that when dropped on the ground evaporates never to be seen again along with a bolt head all outfitted with gas rings, extractor and spring. That should cover your needs. And don't drop the rifle on concrete.

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 12:19 AM
I have no reason to doubt that When I was in the service i have never heard of a broken AK pin either (I was not in ordinance i should mention but I had friends who where) however I would never trust a thin piece of metal to never brake

Cali-Shooter
09-23-2012, 2:43 AM
Extra firearms of the same make and model make excellent spare parts in an emergency.

Oceanbob
09-23-2012, 5:23 AM
I doubt any SHTF situation will happen in the USA. Other than an earthquake shutting down the area for a couple of weeks. Buy some food to share with the neighbors. Save the Mall Ninja Preparations for fantasy land. If you have kids, seriously... start a college fund for them. JMO. (from a guy who still has Freeze dryed foods and gear from the 1970s..hehe;) )

problemchild
09-23-2012, 6:35 AM
I turned in all my parts, guns and ammo for 2 tickets to the movie "How our dear leader loves us". Upon exiting the movie I got a tattoo with a bar-code and a "good citizen" mark. I Put "O" stickers on my front and rear bumper now I can pass through the VIPR checkpoints unimpeded.

smle-man
09-23-2012, 9:00 AM
I doubt any SHTF situation will happen in the USA. Other than an earthquake shutting down the area for a couple of weeks. Buy some food to share with the neighbors. Save the Mall Ninja Preparations for fantasy land. If you have kids, seriously... start a college fund for them. JMO. (from a guy who still has Freeze dryed foods and gear from the 1970s..hehe;) )

Best advice yet!

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 9:21 AM

F my neighbors Seriously I am not sharing anything who people who use jackhammers at 8 am on a sunday (I just got done having a rather heated debate with them about that jack hammer is still going btw)
Having spare Parts for your gun is like having spare parts for your car Its hardly mall ninja prepping
Oceanbob if you with absolute certainty do not belive that anything but an earthquake shuting down an area for a few weeks is posible than thats what you should prepare for. I personaly belive in Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I to hope to have freeze dried food 40 years from now because nothing happened.

Ripon83
09-23-2012, 9:24 AM
I like the discount and lower DROS on 5 packs of lowers :)

dieselpower
09-23-2012, 9:35 AM
I have extra pins, springs, parts for AR Rifles.

I need to get springs/parts for the Glock Berettas and at least one of the shotguns.

I don't see a need for a shotgun. A Rifle and a Pistol are really all you need. :chris:

dieselpower
09-23-2012, 9:38 AM
I've got about 40 or so CR123 batteries for my lasers, lights and optics, and about eight or so component kits to replace all the wear and tear items ie extractor springs, firing pins, detents, ect.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00211-1.jpg

...and the reason I will be dug in tight at NIGHTTIME during a SHTF... I have no NV. :(

Anyone moving at night WITHOUT quality NV is an idiot...

The Original Godfather
09-23-2012, 11:27 AM

This.

If you're fortunate enough to afford such a set up, I'd rather have 2, 3, 4, or 12 back ups for every primary weapon.

I'd stock up on back ups for back ups, for the back up, before buying spare parts. Once that was accomplished, then I'll get spare parts and tools.

To me, spare parts are only good if you have the time to actually fix something. I'd rather just have a full functioning unit ready to go (or several back ups), especially if I was taking fire.

It's hard to try and replace something if you're constantly on the "look-out" or on the go or have other daily essential tasks that require attention and a lot of time.

Ripon83
09-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Hmm I can see lots of uses for a shotgun. I mean a slug can give you a lot of power that some of the rifles can't give you. Bird shot of course has the advantage in certain game hunting. And for some people in your party it may be a far more advantageous shot then any rifle - depends on the person / training.

Unfortunately for the shotgun in defense it means your enemy is already too close (for my liking).

I don't see a need for a shotgun. A Rifle and a Pistol are really all you need. :chris:

Quinc
09-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Had my bcg Microslicked so I don't have to worry about lube or cleaning it. :D

Turbomrdeuce
09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
im ready
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/turbomrdeuce/firearms%20and%20knives/6b993ee35cf45bc81bd0a4344287df3f.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/turbomrdeuce/firearms%20and%20knives/a7c3f489d0fdeb40e6d4102b7b84fe3b.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/turbomrdeuce/firearms%20and%20knives/e3725ad2889f7eac4f479250c7f451ac.jpg

dieselpower
09-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Hmm I can see lots of uses for a shotgun. I mean a slug can give you a lot of power that some of the rifles can't give you. Bird shot of course has the advantage in certain game hunting. And for some people in your party it may be a far more advantageous shot then any rifle - depends on the person / training.

Unfortunately for the shotgun in defense it means your enemy is already too close (for my liking).

The reality of the situation will not justify a shotgun when you remove the "Hollywood" effect. In a true SHTF event, where firearms are needed, a shotgun is not going to be a real go-to firearm. You picked up on one of the reasons...

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 1:01 PM
im ready
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/turbomrdeuce/firearms%20and%20knives/6b993ee35cf45bc81bd0a4344287df3f.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/turbomrdeuce/firearms%20and%20knives/a7c3f489d0fdeb40e6d4102b7b84fe3b.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/turbomrdeuce/firearms%20and%20knives/e3725ad2889f7eac4f479250c7f451ac.jpg

That is a realy nice set up but if these are all you guns I would add 2 thing 1 22 rifle and an ak or sks
22lr because of the insane ammount of ammo to be had (you can easily get 2000 rounds for less than 100$)
and ak or sks for pretty much the same reason 7.62x39 round is the cheapes mos abundant rifle cartrige in civilian use after the 22lr if you reload however not a problem

dieselpower
I completly agree in a long term scenario I can only see shotguns used for hunting

spetsnaz
09-23-2012, 1:02 PM
good enough

Turbomrdeuce
09-23-2012, 4:26 PM
That is a realy nice set up but if these are all you guns I would add 2 thing 1 22 rifle and an ak or sks
22lr because of the insane ammount of ammo to be had (you can easily get 2000 rounds for less than 100$)
and ak or sks for pretty much the same reason 7.62x39 round is the cheapes mos abundant rifle cartrige in civilian use after the 22lr if you reload however not a problem

dieselpower
I completly agree in a long term scenario I can only see shotguns used for hunting

just missing my 30-06 in this picture but that ar15 with the scope is a .22lr

dieselpower
09-23-2012, 4:39 PM
just missing my 30-06 in this picture but that ar15 with the scope is a .22lr

and the AR15 with the left hand magazine release is an AW in CA if its also either centerfire or semiauto... but lets not go there.

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 4:50 PM
and the AR15 with the left hand magazine release is an AW in CA if its also either centerfire or semiauto... but lets not go there.

I see an ar type weapon (a sig ?) with a bullet button and 10/30 mag ;)

CAL.BAR
09-23-2012, 4:57 PM
Just Wondering How stocked are you on components and parts for your weapons ? (This is not about my favorite pastime Ammo Hoarding) How many readily available spring pins etc parts do stock for your weapons ? What is your plan for dealing with breakages? and does this posibility affect your weapon buying habbits ?

Extra parts??? Well I suppose you Glock jocks might need them.
I just bought HK the first time so I won't HAVE to buy spare parts. Really. I think after 25 years and over 10K rounds I finally had to get a new firing pin for my HK 93.

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2012, 5:11 PM
A RB mold, a few pounds of lead, a horn full of powder, a vent pick, knapping hammer, main spring vice and extra main spring should get me through the worst of it. If not, I have a few ARs so, one is the primary and the rest are spae parts. Of course, I have "a few" AKs too. I even have flats, several parts kits, rivets and all the tooling to manufacture new AKs and repair whatever I need to if an AK brakes.

billmaykafer
09-23-2012, 5:36 PM
i bought a $89 mosin nagant. if my other MN breaks down i just grab the other and use broke one as parts for next break down.

Dutch3
09-23-2012, 5:40 PM
In a true SHTF event, where firearms are needed, a shotgun is not going to be a real go-to firearm.

Agreed in principle, but I am not giving up my shotgun.

xgi1991
09-23-2012, 6:32 PM

OK, so say you have a standard 12g (870. 500. 1300) and say you have an 8 round tube, so basically you have the capability to send 72 .38 cal rounds down range as fast as you can pump that gun with an effective range of 100 yards, no, sorry, the 12g will be very effective in an SHTF, it will pull duty as the pore mans squad automatic weapon (SAW), now take a weapons platform like a siega 12 or any semi for that matter, you want to keep their heads down?

11HE9
09-23-2012, 8:23 PM
I was in the Army during the switch from the 1911 to the M9. I was good friends with a unit armorer at the time. My 1911 will never be out of service for very long ;)

AleksandreCz
09-23-2012, 8:44 PM
OK, so say you have a standard 12g (870. 500. 1300) and say you have an 8 round tube, so basically you have the capability to send 72 .38 cal rounds down range as fast as you can pump that gun with an effective range of 100 yards, no, sorry, the 12g will be very effective in an SHTF, it will pull duty as the pore mans squad automatic weapon (SAW), now take a weapons platform like a siega 12 or any semi for that matter, you want to keep their heads down?

I would rethink that strategy if I was you there are usualy about 12 pellets in a 00 shell and at 100 yard you got about 100 sq in spread thats hardly a good use of ammo

all torque
09-23-2012, 9:15 PM
The only spare part I have is an extra upper for my AR. But I do have a Mossberg 500 and a Maverick, I guess I can use one as a spare if the other breaks.

Turbomrdeuce
09-23-2012, 11:24 PM

?:confused: mag release is on the other side of the table...

Turbomrdeuce
09-23-2012, 11:25 PM
I see an ar type weapon (a sig ?) with a bullet button and 10/30 mag ;)

yup sig m400 :D

RobertSmith
09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Lots of magazines....

DuknBucks
09-24-2012, 6:26 PM
Agreed in principle, but I am not giving up my shotgun.

x2.....still an awesome CQB weapon and if defending my home you bet that will be my go too in SHTF......and yes the AR will not be far from reach

Gothboy
09-25-2012, 5:28 AM
The only issue I see with shotguns in this type of discussion is that shotgun ammo gets REAL HEAVY REAL QUICK. Especially the more of you have to carry, that is ...If you are being mobile. Being dug in, no big deal.

RuskieShooter
09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
The only issue I see with shotguns in this type of discussion is that shotgun ammo gets REAL HEAVY REAL QUICK. Especially the more of you have to carry, that is ...If you are being mobile. Being dug in, no big deal.

This.

Bug in = shotgun. Bug out in a vehicle = shotgun. Bug out on foot = no shotgun.

-Ruskie

Saber6Delta
09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I think a pistol grip 12ga pump is good for the Wife or extra person in the group that has no weapon...They can be the designated "lock smith" :)

Squid
09-25-2012, 4:57 PM
much oil sprayed in wrong places (never disassembled since new)....ditto with 870.

Couldn't find the right bore snakes and other stuff I KNOW I got somewhere.

Waiting till a couple idiots get some junk out of my garage so I can set up and get some things done.

OK, I'm mostly just lazy.

But I COULD get things squared away and combat ready in couple few hours, and I do got fair amount of ammo and bandleers etc.

donny douchebag
09-25-2012, 5:10 PM
I don't even know where some of my guns are. Under all the stuff around here someplace.

cdtx2001
09-25-2012, 5:10 PM
Why stock up when parts will be plentiful from all the guys wearing blue helmets?

chris
09-25-2012, 5:19 PM
i have some spare parts for my AR and mags but for anything else i don't have much else lying around. i have my Swedish Mauser which dam near industructable. i don't have any parts for my .45 or 9mm though but don't really know where to start for the pistols. and my AR is my principle weapon of choice though.

stix213
09-25-2012, 6:00 PM
I have extra complete AR's and AK's which is even better than parts.

Plan for a breakage is to grab another gun, or use another complete gun for parts for the first one.

xgi1991
09-25-2012, 6:08 PM
I would rethink that strategy if I was you there are usualy about 12 pellets in a 00 shell and at 100 yard you got about 100 sq in spread thats hardly a good use of ammo

The 12 gauge in a group of say, 3, has the ability to provide suppressive fire, one designated marksman, one 12g, and one AR/AK platform, yep, pretty good fire team there. As a standalone, no, I would not recommend that, perhaps you misunderstood me.

Sunday
09-26-2012, 4:45 PM
The higher quality guns probably will out last the owner.

lakersandguns
09-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I need to buy an extra bcg and a good cleaning kit. Also need another pistol.

arslin
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I do not need spare parts, I have an AK...

just kidding. They are on my list, but I have less to worry about than if I had an AR.

AleksandreCz
09-27-2012, 3:37 PM
The 12 gauge in a group of say, 3, has the ability to provide suppressive fire, one designated marksman, one 12g, and one AR/AK platform, yep, pretty good fire team there. As a standalone, no, I would not recommend that, perhaps you misunderstood me.

Yes I did misunderstand you but my point still stands Shotgun ammo is just to expencive (if you are stocking up ) and the spread makes not the Ideal weapon to use over that distance
To keep someone down Id use a 22lr with a huge mag (unless I have huge ammounts of real ammo ) but If I am in and enclosed space and lets say I am trying to keep someone out of the corridor I would use a shotgun

Sunday to the best of my knowlege no one invented an unbrakble gun yet wear an tear will disable the highest quality firearm it will take longer but eventualy stuff wears out especialy with hard use

Sunday
11-18-2012, 9:32 PM
I have been selling off my guns like crazy. With Obama as president who needs guns, he will save us!!

kbenson
11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Just curious- Some of you guys have quite an arsenal, but if you needed to bugout and a powered vehicle was not an option, how would you haul the weapons/supplies?
Many people think they can hop in the car or truck, but I remember the traffic jams in Louisiana.
Overcrowded cali + situation, would make the flood look like a Sunday picnic.

the86d
11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Well do 3 BCGs for 1 AR count as spare parts?

The lady want's her a M-fourgery, so I bought 2 Nickel-boron BCGs, and I have the one that came with my AR.

(Reloading press is ALWAYS ready, and the lady pressed 100 of her 1st 9mm rounds last night...)

I REALLY hope some scumbags don't make REALLY BAD CHOICES...

1 SIG fan
11-21-2012, 8:26 PM
Lots of rifles to be used as parts.....

C&Rtrader
11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Sunday[/B] to the best of my knowlege no one invented an unbrakble gun yet wear an tear will disable the highest quality firearm it will take longer but eventualy stuff wears out especialy with hard use

Hmm... Mosin Nagant? Might be pretty closet to indestructible. Granted not an ideal weapon though.

calduc
11-22-2012, 9:05 AM
Gtg

The War Wagon
11-22-2012, 9:27 AM
The best set of spare parts, is a spare rifle. :D

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/100_8368.jpg

The .22LR AR is a dedicated AR - the full lower is GTG.

I also have 7 LPK's and 3 spare trigger groups to go with 'em. :cool:

nrgcruizer
11-22-2012, 3:34 PM
If you have an AK, I really don't think you need much parts other than small parts just in case you lose them. Other than that, there's gonna be plenty of ARs available for spare parts.

aalvidrez
11-22-2012, 3:39 PM
I don't think you need too worry too much about parts. Usually when things "broke" it was because soldiers were doing unauthorized maintenece. The problem I always saw was lack of cleanliness and bad magazines. Have lots of replacement mags and good cleaning kits.

Steve_In_29
11-22-2012, 8:06 PM
In a SHTF situation I think multiple weapons, lots of ammo and extra mags are more important then parts. Most SHTF things are going to be of relatively short duration and any quality weapon should be more then capable of lasting through it. I too never saw any parts breakage on small arms during my 17yrs in the Marines that weren't caused by people doing things they weren't supposed to.

Now in an EOTWAWKI scenario where manufacturing has permanently shut down and we are going back to the pre-industrial age then you would theoretically need EVERY single part for EVERY weapon you own as I doubt Numrich will still be around.

Stan08
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
And of equal or greater importance is how is your weapon's training?

1 SIG fan
12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
^^^^ this... Helps to know HOW to run and gun

ZombieTactics
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Yup, this is a plan.

NotEnufGarage
12-12-2012, 2:01 PM
Plenty of AR parts, springs and pins....

1911's aren't for SHTF or HD, so I don't keep spares for them.

Revolvers rarely break, so no parts for them.

The rest of my handguns are Glocks, so they're good to go.

kaligaran
12-12-2012, 2:14 PM
Spare rifles are great.

In addition to spare guns, you can always pick up a kit and put it in the grip compartment (if you have one like the Magpul MOE grip).
Kits are cheap and range from $25-40 or you can just make your own.
Here's an example of a $35 kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587468/dpms-ultimate-repair-kit-ar-15

I have a similar kit in my primary rifle grip. Haven't had to use it as of yet.

kaligaran
12-12-2012, 2:15 PM
Spare rifles are great.

In addition to spare guns, you can always pick up a kit and put it in the grip compartment (if you have one like the Magpul MOE grip).
Kits are cheap and range from $25-40 or you can just make your own.
Here's an example of a $35 kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587468/dpms-ultimate-repair-kit-ar-15

I have a similar kit in my primary rifle grip. Haven't had to use it as of yet.

whlgun
12-12-2012, 5:25 PM
In my BOB I keep the following for my LWRC.

1 pins spare part set
1 spring spare part set.
1 charging handle
1 AR bolt
Slip 2000 and a very basic cleaning setup.

My handgun of choice is my glock 17. If for some reason my 17 goes down I just take the one I bought for my wife. She never wanted it anyway lol.

If I can take the benelli with me it comes as a bonus and turns into trash if it breaks.

chris
12-12-2012, 6:59 PM
did a tune up on my AR from the armorer at my job. new extractor and head space check. all is good. haven't had the time to shoot it. but i know it will work. rifle is clean and ready to go to the range or whatever may happen. ZOMBIES!!!!!!!

bombadillo
12-12-2012, 7:12 PM
Ammo for shotguns is very heavy but in a hunker down environment, it is one of the best defense weapons out there. How many people think they are going to play urban sniper taking 400 yard shots off with their tactical rifles? Most will be staying home and not in their ghillie suit off in the woods. Look at Sandy and Katrina. People weren't out shooting long range for looters. Shotguns will be highly desirable in that type of setting with #4 buck or 00 buck for the stopping power, capacity, and range especially.

chris
12-12-2012, 7:30 PM
Ammo for shotguns is very heavy but in a hunker down environment, it is one of the best defense weapons out there. How many people think they are going to play urban sniper taking 400 yard shots off with their tactical rifles? Most will be staying home and not in their ghillie suit off in the woods. Look at Sandy and Katrina. People weren't out shooting long range for looters. Shotguns will be highly desirable in that type of setting with #4 buck or 00 buck for the stopping power, capacity, and range especially.

or a M4 type AR will do a pretty good job. i have shotguns as well.

chris
12-12-2012, 7:31 PM

or a M4 type AR will do a pretty good job. i have shotguns as well. i like my AR's since the media makes them scary to people :D

bombadillo
12-12-2012, 7:45 PM
In what way would an AR be more useful than a shotgun in closer quarters? A trench gun will beat them up in almost everything but capacity. I'm honestly asking, not trying to start a flame war about how an AR is inferior or anthing like that. There is a reason why I have one built for my wife and I, but I also have a shotgun for the both of us too.