PDA

View Full Version : Buying rifle from private seller

Noskie
09-22-2012, 5:05 PM
Hey guys, I bought an M1 Garand from a private seller in New Jersey and contacted my FFL Dealer (in SoCal) about the purchase. We started the FFL transfer process, they faxed my seller their FFL license and whatnot after the rifle delivered, I was told that they (my dealer) needed a CA shipment approved letter (or something along those lines) else they could NOT accept the rifle.

After reading at the department of justice, it states that non-FFL holders are NOT required to get this number/letter as they are not FFL-holders.

Long story short, what am I suppose to do now that the seller is NOT an FFL-holder therefore has no possible way to get this approval number? Seems to me that my dealer just wants to play it safe or whatever - Can I have that gun shipped to another FFL dealer that wont make such a big fuzz?

I've paid all fees with my current FFL so seems kind of a let down that they're making a big deal about this....

EDIT: I should state that the rifle is already at my dealer, I've inspected it, held it and fallen in love.....

Fjold
09-22-2012, 6:05 PM
You dealer is ignorant of the law.

Noskie
09-22-2012, 6:13 PM

Exactly my thoughts, and they are threatening to send the rifle back and I'm fairly certain I will not be seeing a refund on the use-of-FFL/DROS/Store fees should my rifle be sent back.

Can printing the law help with this situation? Is there any place in the DOJ I (or my dealer) can call to fix this whole mess?

zfields
09-22-2012, 6:15 PM
Print out the law. Probably wont help considering someone who's business is based around knowing the law doesn't seem to care to keep up on it.

Noskie
09-22-2012, 6:19 PM
Print out the law. Probably wont help considering someone who's business is based around knowing the law doesn't seem to care to keep up on it.

I was thinking of printing this out http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2 - But I'm not sure if that's the proper bit to print out and try to convince them.

joemoia
09-22-2012, 8:21 PM
I was thinking of printing this out http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2 - But I'm not sure if that's the proper bit to print out and try to convince them.

I would print out the entire FAQ and show it to them. You could also ask them to call the DOJ to verify. I do know of an LGS in my area that only accepts shipments from FFLs using the CFLC, not from un-licensed individuals; it's their policy.

Noskie
09-22-2012, 8:44 PM
I would print out the entire FAQ and show it to them. You could also ask them to call the DOJ to verify. I do know of an LGS in my area that only accepts shipments from FFLs using the CFLC, not from un-licensed individuals; it's their policy.

Thanks. What's to do when the rifle is already in their shop and DROS is a few days away from clearing. I mean I don't want to have the rifle sent back and risk my 30 DROS days to expire and have to pay yet another 30 or so bucks. Would it not be their fault for not checking if it was a private seller or an FFL beforehand?

EDIT: They (my FFL dealer) told me if the individual who sold me the rifle is NOT an FFL-holder, the transaction should be "fine" but then they demanded they needed a Firearms Shipment Approval number which is not possible to get (or required) by a non-FFL individual. According to the DOJ, anyway.

joemoia
09-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks. What's to do when the rifle is already in their shop and DROS is a few days away from clearing. I mean I don't want to have the rifle sent back and risk my 30 DROS days to expire and have to pay yet another 30 or so bucks. Would it not be their fault for not checking if it was a private seller or an FFL beforehand?

EDIT: They (my FFL dealer) told me if the individual who sold me the rifle is NOT an FFL-holder, the transaction should be "fine" but then they demanded they needed a Firearms Shipment Approval number which is not possible to get (or required) by a non-FFL individual. According to the DOJ, anyway.

I have no answer to your situation. As you stated your FFL is asking for something which can't be accomplished under Ca.'s CFLC system.

nothing4u
09-23-2012, 7:32 PM
Why do people go through dealers who are ignorant of the law especially in Socal, you have soo many reputable gun shops down there.

CK_32
09-23-2012, 7:53 PM

This

Noskie
09-23-2012, 9:44 PM
Why do people go through dealers who are ignorant of the law especially in Socal, you have soo many reputable gun shops down there.

Sadly I've always had good luck with them... Till now. Not sure if they have a grudge for not buying from them but if they had what I wanted then I would buy from them. Also because they aren't charging $120+ for the transfer like other local places.

I printed a lot of law articles and whatnot. And my seller also sent them various stuff.

I just don't understand why they are making a big deal when all fees are paid DROS clears in a few days and they already have the rifle on Hand.