PDA

View Full Version : New Frontier Lower failures

Samtech79
09-22-2012, 5:00 PM
Ok, so there's a lot of haters out there when it comes to poly lowers and there is at least some history of the Plum Crazy lowers failing... but has anyone actually killed a New Frontier yet?
I bought one and have every intention of doing my best to beat the absolute $%!# out of it until it gives up the ghost. I intend to post my findings in this thread and I invite anyone who has a New frontier that has failed to please post photos and a description of what happened. I feel that the community has something to gain here but please keep it to New Frontier only. We already know the Plum Crazy has "issues".
I have no horse in this race other than my own curiosity and a desire to really beat the hell out of something... I don't work for or sell New Frontier parts or any other firearm parts for that matter. I intend to post the honest truth about these from my own experience as there seems to be a lot of talk and not too many real life accounts about these poly lowers out there on the interwebs.
Let's try to keep it to factual experience please. I know many of us don't like new and different and that many have the opinion that poly sucks no matter what. There's loads of those threads out there already, please no thread crapping because you have an opinion that has no factual basis. Myself, I'm on the fence. I don't know if they suck, are indestructible or make me better looking. I wish to find out and share with all of you and hope that others will share as well.
Thank you and please be safe.

dedub
09-23-2012, 6:31 AM
1000+ rounds through a low serial-numbered NFA lower and zero issues so far.

Mail Clerk
09-23-2012, 8:15 AM
I haven't even tried mine on for size yet.......but after I get my upper pretty soon I'll find out and report back in the new year. Mines a low number too so I don't expect anything to happen but who know. Besides that doesn't Frontier warranty their lowers for normal usgae????

Mail Clerk

bonesurf
09-25-2012, 3:13 PM
Crickets.

Dutch Henry
09-25-2012, 3:22 PM
Not yet!

Tripper
09-25-2012, 3:28 PM
I killed one, I dont recall the if it was pre or post 2000 serial
New Frontier replaced it very quickly, had the new one within 7 days of shipping

jctheguy
09-26-2012, 6:56 AM
+1500 rounds and it keeps on tickin!

Zartan
09-26-2012, 7:04 AM
How do you kill a lower?

SoCalXD
09-26-2012, 10:01 AM
You should put a question mark in your thread title so as not to inadvertantly cast dispersions toward the good guys at Frontier, or what appears to be a pretty decently solution for an ultralight AR solution. Just sayn.

deviljon
09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm having a very hard time getting this lower to work properly with my CMMG .22lr upper. It's driving me crazy!

bonesurf
09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm having a very hard time getting this lower to work properly with my CMMG .22lr upper. It's driving me crazy!

Change out the hammer to a regular hammer. Not a plastic one. That being said mine works fine "as is" with a taccom3g .22lr upper

Chewbaca
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I just shot about 100 rounds of .50 cal Beowulf thru mine :) not one issue !!!!
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q606/dunwitjayz/Snapbucket/B36451BC.jpg

deviljon
09-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Change out the hammer to a regular hammer. Not a plastic one. That being said mine works fine "as is" with a taccom3g .22lr upper

I've tried but the metal hammer doesn't seem to fit with the plastic disconnect and trigger.

Tripper
09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Broke a hammer on a second one

Not sure if I kept pictures of either

JUm3
09-26-2012, 12:03 PM
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q606/dunwitjayz/Snapbucket/B36451BC.jpg

the true stress test. Let us know when you hit a 1000.

I hope theres no issues, I've done a ton of research and i got on in jail right now.

bonesurf
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I've tried but the metal hammer doesn't seem to fit with the plastic disconnect and trigger.

Change out complete FCG? I did that for my AR9 build

Chewbaca
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
the true stress test. Let us know when you hit a 1000.

I hope theres no issues, I've done a ton of research and i got on in jail right now.

To be honest , I bought the lower because I wanted to prove to myself that you get what you pay for , and at 99$ I couldn't say no . Before I purchased it I had said to myself " we'll ill change the internals to metal parts " put a decent trigger on it . Now that Iv played with it on my .223 upper my 7.62x39 upper and finally the Beowulf , I'm very impressed !!!! This thing brings the weight of my rifles down to something a lot more manageable ! And the trigger !!! I have to say its better then any mil spec out there ! Almost comparable to my Nicle boron alg trig . But nothin like my timney of course ... All and all I think I got a lot more then I paid for :)

Tripper
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Chewbacca, how much of the original New Frontier Lower LW15 have you 'changed' out
that doesnt look like the stock or pistol grip, what else was actually changed?

mcisniper
09-26-2012, 1:09 PM
This is from their FB page. It was run over by a 6' mower.

https://www.facebook.com/NFALW15

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/c230.0.403.403/p403x403/229996_4587904821113_960196063_n.jpg

Speedpower
09-26-2012, 1:17 PM

Is it a misfire issue? this might help!
You need to make the hammer narrower as 22LR bolts are pretty narrow causing the hammer to rub on the sides resulting into misfires. this is how the hammer should look like:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/NFA-BlowBack-2T.jpg

Chewbaca
09-26-2012, 3:09 PM
Chewbacca, how much of the original New Frontier Lower LW15 have you 'changed' out
that doesnt look like the stock or pistol grip, what else was actually changed?

I threw on an extra Magpul moe stock I had and the moe pistol grip , other the. That ill Iv changed is the take down pins ! I added mil spec ones just because I didn't like the feel of the plastic ones . Everything else is original new frontier

k1dude
09-26-2012, 8:12 PM

Kaching!!! Your wallet must be screaming in pain! :shock:

702Shooter
09-26-2012, 8:51 PM
I've had a New Frontier Armory LW-15 lower for awhile now. Started off with a SlideFire Solutions bumpfire stock and have ran nearly 1,700 rounds through it. Including about 250 earlier today. Got some video of a mag dump from it as well. I loaned it out to some friends to abuse too. I've heard of some issues with the internals so I wanted to push them a bit. So far, so good and all with the stock lower internals.

Is this for everyone? No. But their certainly is a market for it.

I'm currently writing a review of it and have 3 complete lowers to give away. I'm going to try to get the review finished up and posted tomorrow.

Samtech79
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Just a quick update.
So I've beat the absolute dog snot out of it and so far, no issues.
I did have a little trouble with my polymer upper(Hesse, polymer upper with my parts), after blowing through about 200 shots rapid fire... Very,very rapid. Gas block was so hot it melted the piece of carpet I set it down on... I noticed my back up sites looked a little weird, barrel nut was loose. Not very loose, just a tad. Tightened it back up and retimed it for the next hole, 27ish ft,lbs. Not a single problem sense and I have NOT been nice to it.

Mac7504
11-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Broke a hammer on a second one

Not sure if I kept pictures of either

Really? How?

To be honest , I bought the lower because I wanted to prove to myself that you get what you pay for , and at 99$ I couldn't say no . Before I purchased it I had said to myself " we'll ill change the internals to metal parts " put a decent trigger on it . Now that Iv played with it on my .223 upper my 7.62x39 upper and finally the Beowulf , I'm very impressed !!!! This thing brings the weight of my rifles down to something a lot more manageable ! And the trigger !!! I have to say its better then any mil spec out there ! Almost comparable to my Nicle boron alg trig . But nothin like my timney of course ... All and all I think I got a lot more then I paid for :)

This is good to know; had one for a while but yet to slap on an upper and taker her out; I will try it out soon. I think I will pair it with a PSA or Bravo upper if it works out.

xinu38
11-05-2012, 6:50 PM
I threw on an extra Magpul moe stock I had and the moe pistol grip , other the. That ill Iv changed is the take down pins ! I added mil spec ones just because I didn't like the feel of the plastic ones . Everything else is original new frontier

Hey Chewbaca, which take down pins did you use? I don't like the feel of the plastic either and tried to replace them with pins from a Noveske and a new DMPS lower parts kit. Neither could fit even after a dropped a lil oil on them. I didn't want to force them in hence why I'm on the forum looking for examples from other owners.

Thanks!

bonesurf
11-05-2012, 6:53 PM
I have used yhm take downs no probs

Chewbaca
11-05-2012, 7:36 PM
I paid like 7$ for a no name pair on amizon , they fit exept the rear pin does not completely seat . But it works well enought that its not really worth mentioning .

wsmc27
11-09-2012, 10:50 AM
1000+ rounds through a low serial-numbered NFA lower and zero issues so far.

^^^ Same here.

Got the upgrade parts from Joe at Parallax Tac (where we bought the NFA) but haven't installed it, want to see if/when anything fails. That said, ours is a "spare" and still kind of feel it's a budget back-up to our usual ARs (running with JD lowers/DD lpk).

Was also going to put the JP yellow springs in it, but decided to just run it stock and see how it holds up.

Have a good weekend. :)

downdiver2
11-12-2012, 5:46 PM
I just had some issues with mine. I took it out first time and fired about 100 rounds, worked well.

2nd time out, put about 100 rounds, sighting in iron sights and plinked around.

3rd time: Took it out to BLM on 11/10/12 and after first 10 rounds, switched to a 22LR conversion and the rear takedown pin broke. Gun was temporarily fixed, gun would then eject a round and not be ready to fire a new round. Not sure why, I would have to pull back on charging handle, and cycle new round (Ejecting a live round) gun was then in cycle to fire (Not sure of terms I was using for cycling, ready to fire, etc).

I was then taking rifle apart to clean and noticed the front take down pin was broken in half.

Question: Could a not properly fitted temporary fix cause the cycling problem? Not sure if cycling is the term as the rifle did eject a spent round and cycle a new round, the gun just wasnt ready to fire (Hammer?).

Or could a not noticed front take down pin cause a problem?

Im thinking with a temporary fix or a not noticed front pin would have possibly changed the alignment.

*This would happen at least once or twice in a 10 round mag.

*Did the same with the CMMG conversion.

Dutch Henry
11-12-2012, 6:29 PM
Mine is running just fine. Just returned from a week long desert shooting trip and the NFA lower is exceeding my expectations. Absolutely no problems.

bill_k_lopez
11-12-2012, 6:34 PM
I'm picking one up from RifleGear on Sunday. I had an upper in the safe for awhile and figured for $109 it would give me a complete rifle. I'm anxious to see what they are like - first thing I was thinking about was changing the pins out, then the trigger - and I had to stop myself. Its a $109 lower, with a lifetime warranty and I'm putting it on an extra upper I had sitting in the safe, who cares if anything on it breaks??

sotastyy
11-12-2012, 8:34 PM
I have 5-600rds through mine and has never had a problem.

+1 on whoever said it'll make for a great lightweight build. It's what I plan on doing when I am willing and find a great deal on a lower to replace the current.

$110 for a COMPLETE lower is by far the best deal out there!

11-21-2012, 9:23 PM
Sub for follow up.
Just bought one, can't wait to get it

H2H
11-21-2012, 9:35 PM
just got one form riflegear on Monday. For $109 complete, it's pretty good. Time will tell.

the_t0ny
11-21-2012, 9:41 PM
I've had mine for about 7 months and no issues. All I've changed out is the pistol gripand added a magpul ASAP. I have a CMMG 22lr upper and functions fine with the stock plastic hammer/trigger internals. I have fired about 1500 rounds through so far. For $99 plus tax and dros, you're not going to get a better deal on a decent complete lower.

Chewbaca
11-21-2012, 9:47 PM
So I had a problem with the Beowulf , after every few rounds it would drop the mag . I assume it's due to some sort of flex and or the mag catch being made of a flexible plastic . It did it multiple times , Iv since then swaped out the mag catch for a metal one . And the issue has seemed to be resolved .

railroader
11-21-2012, 9:48 PM
Anybody sell them in the inland empire?

CoastRyder
11-21-2012, 9:50 PM
Bought one as well, waiting for it to clear customs. Don't have an upper yet, so that's next on my list.

11-21-2012, 9:59 PM
So I had a problem with the Beowulf , after every few rounds it would drop the mag . I assume it's due to some sort of flex and or the mag catch being made of a flexible plastic . It did it multiple times , Iv since then swaped out the mag catch for a metal one . And the issue has seemed to be resolved .

Wow, hope it's just that!
I think I will swap to a mil spec lpk for reliability when I get mine.

chrisf
11-21-2012, 10:03 PM
I have never had an issue with my plumcrazy and it has been beaten to heck

Dinosaur Jr
11-22-2012, 1:41 AM
This is from their FB page. It was run over by a 6' mower.

https://www.facebook.com/NFALW15

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/c230.0.403.403/p403x403/229996_4587904821113_960196063_n.jpg

I'm searching my mind to think of some situation where the potential would exist for a weapon and a running lawnmower to cross paths in real-life...

Jet Setter
11-22-2012, 1:56 AM
Much like everyone, I have about 2k through mine and no issues. My only gripe is the poly mag catch. I am planning to replace it with metal as it flexes too much for it to work well with a Prince 50 convertible. Other than that, love it.

11-22-2012, 8:14 PM
Much like everyone, I have about 2k through mine and no issues. My only gripe is the poly mag catch. I am planning to replace it with metal as it flexes too much for it to work well with a Prince 50 convertible. Other than that, love it.

I think I will replace the entire LPK with a metal, mil spec one.

Not that i doubt the poly internals.

Don29palms
11-22-2012, 9:21 PM
Plumcrazy Redux

moochaka
11-22-2012, 11:21 PM
My brother's is doing really well. Well over a thousand rounds and still working. He switched out the hammer for metal.

Chewbaca
11-23-2012, 2:53 AM
Only things I changed out on mine to metal were the take down pins & mag catch . I really like the feel of the plastic trigger it has a surprisingly crisp break !

Mossy Man
11-23-2012, 7:39 AM
if your plan is to replace all the internals with metal ones anyway, why not just buy a regalar lower and LBK?

$110 + 50 for an LPK = 160

vs

$89 + 110 LBK = 199

deviljon
11-23-2012, 8:04 AM
if your plan is to replace all the internals with metal ones anyway, why not just buy a regalar lower and LBK?

$110 + 50 for an LPK = 160

vs

$89 + 110 LBK = 199

The NFA complete lowers come with a receiver extension and stock too.

Mossy Man
11-23-2012, 8:06 AM
The NFA complete lowers come with a receiver extension and stock too.

so do LBKs

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/black-friday-ar-parts-sale/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit.html

EDIT: regular price is $110 like i stated above.

it's ok sale today for only $79!

deviljon
11-23-2012, 8:09 AM
so do LBKs

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/black-friday-ar-parts-sale/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit.html

My bad, misread your post.

Maybe that $40 savings as well as the reduced weight of a polymer lower is a selling point for some?

Mossy Man
11-23-2012, 8:15 AM
My bad, misread your post.

Maybe that $40 savings as well as the reduced weight of a polymer lower is a selling point for some?

that's true

but i'd be willing to bet that most people are buying it for the "economy" factor.

so that was my suggestion, i'm not bad-mouthing the NFA lowers.

Just seems to me-lightweight builds notwithstanding-for just a little more, you get a forged lower that will last you quite a bit longer. Especially if you plan on replacing the internals with a standard LPK anyway.

Current PSA prices will get you a complete lower (if you find a local stripped lower for $89) for $206 vs. $131 for an NFA ($75 difference), and only a $25 difference if you decide to switch out your NFA's internals with a standard LPK

zfields
11-23-2012, 8:20 AM
that's true

but i'd be willing to bet that most people are buying it for the "economy" factor.

so that was my suggestion, i'm not bad-mouthing the NFA lowers.

Just seems to me-lightweight builds notwithstanding-for just a little more, you get a forged lower that will last you quite a bit longer. Especially if you plan on replacing the internals with a standard LPK anyway.

Current PSA prices will get you a complete lower (if you find a local stripped lower for $89) for $206 vs. $131 for an NFA ($75 difference), and only a $25 difference if you decide to switch out your NFA's internals with a standard LPK

Funny....glocks are poly, and they last forever. But for some reason a poly AR lower wont.

People need to give it a rest with that crap. 95% of shooters here don't even put enough ammo through the gun per year to break the damn things in.

Mossy Man
11-23-2012, 8:27 AM
Funny....glocks are poly, and they last forever. But for some reason a poly AR lower wont.

People need to give it a rest with that crap. 95% of shooters here don't even put enough ammo through the gun per year to break the damn things in.

Many of the poly guns have a proven track record.

I know SCARS and such use polymer lowers, but they are also designed differently than an AR

zfields
11-23-2012, 8:30 AM
Many of the poly guns have a proven track record.

I know SCARS and such use polymer lowers, but they are also designed differently than an AR

Poly AR's have been out for quite a while now, and the older ones held up pretty damn well also.

And AR's still put very little stress on the lower. Really the weak point is slamming open the upper during dissasembly, but that is a weak point on alum lowers also ( albeit not as bad ).

Mossy Man
11-23-2012, 8:33 AM
Poly AR's have been out for quite a while now, and the older ones held up pretty damn well also.

And AR's still put very little stress on the lower. Really the weak point is slamming open the upper during dissasembly, but that is a weak point on alum lowers also ( albeit not as bad ).

and takedown pins, from what i've read.

Again, i'm not really knocking them a lot, i was just doing a cost-analysis on current prices.

It just seemed that the general consensus has been to replace all the plastic internals with traditional LPK parts, in which case to ME, it seemed more logical to just go with a standard type lower since buying another LPK negates a lot of the initial savings to begin with

zfields
11-23-2012, 8:35 AM
and takedown pins, from what i've read.

Again, i'm not really knocking them a lot, i was just doing a cost-analysis on current prices.

It just seemed that the general consensus has been to replace all the plastic internals with traditional LPK parts, in which case to ME, it seemed more logical to just go with a standard type lower since buying another LPK negates a lot of the initial savings to begin with

Take down pins have been redesigned from what I have heard. As for replacing the the internals, that's just paranoia from the first gen ones carrying over, and this hatred for all things poly people seem to have.

Personally I won't be replacing mine, it has a damn good trigger pull. Much better then most the standard LPK's I've shot.

glock7
11-23-2012, 6:57 PM
Slamming open the upper while cleaning? Haha you're kidding right? Who does that?

zfields
11-23-2012, 6:59 PM
Slamming open the upper while cleaning? Haha you're kidding right? Who does that?

Dumb people that come report on forums how ****ty there upper is after they do it, then blame the brand ( either poly or alum for that matter ).

glock7
11-23-2012, 7:00 PM
I checked one out at nfa when I went to Vegas. They seem flimsy. I'd have to put some rounds through it and run it hard like I do with my rifles. I'm the 5% that shoots a lot, but then again I reload so that's not an issue.....

glock7
11-23-2012, 7:05 PM
I've heard more good than bad about the nfa lowers, other than some fitment issues. Now I'm curious. Another build yay!

Arkangel
11-23-2012, 7:09 PM
I just put a stripped one in jail today. For $86 otd, I figured why not?

Rza
11-23-2012, 7:16 PM
I just put a stripped one in jail today. For $86 otd, I figured why not?

Good price. Mind telling me where at.

glock7
11-23-2012, 7:30 PM
^this where? In the spirit of the holiday season, do tell. Lol

zfields
11-23-2012, 7:32 PM
Just a heads up, they are/were 105 shipped from joebobs for a complete lower set up. This was not a black friday type deal either.

Arkangel
11-23-2012, 8:41 PM
Good price. Mind telling me where at.

Wiser Owl here in San Diego (miramar area)

^this where? In the spirit of the holiday season, do tell. Lol

$60 (on sale) +tax & DROS... They still had a few in stock too.

Just a heads up, they are/were 105 shipped from joebobs for a complete lower set up. This was not a black friday type deal either.

Not bad, as long as you can find a place with a decent transfer fee.

villageidiot
11-23-2012, 10:48 PM
riflegear has em in stock complete for 109 plus tax and dros.