PDA

View Full Version : Short barreled AR15 legality

TacticalChihuahua
09-22-2012, 4:30 PM
Can you own an AR15 in california that is less that 16in barrel? Not interested in an AR pistol. What if I pay the $200 stamp? Thanks for the help!

luchador768
09-22-2012, 4:32 PM
Nope

rero360
09-22-2012, 4:36 PM
Only if you have an FFL, and only certain kinds, unsure. Outside of that, become a cop and have it as your duty gun, or become a soldier, but it'll be your issued gun, not personal.

MrPlink
09-22-2012, 5:35 PM
You need DWP from the state first, they wont give you one.

Your options are AR pistol, move, or airsoft.

joelogic
09-22-2012, 5:58 PM
I like newb enthusiasm. As if $200 were all that holds us back. If all you had to do was pay the tax stamp to have a sbr I bet there would be a 100,000 applications on Monday.

Quiet
09-22-2012, 6:28 PM
You need DWP from the state first, they wont give you one.

Your options are AR pistol, move, or airsoft.

What he said.

CA has additional requirements for legal ownership of SBRs.
The main requirement being a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit for a SBR.
Issuance of said permit requires a "good cause" and per CA laws there are only two acceptable "good causes".
1. Use as a prop in the entertainment industry (requires endorsements from a major studio)
2. Importing/making/selling/loaning to Gov/Mil/LE agency.

Plisk
09-22-2012, 6:46 PM
Only if you have an FFL, and only certain kinds, unsure. Outside of that, become a cop and have it as your duty gun, or become a soldier, but it'll be your issued gun, not personal.

Having an FFL doesn't allow you to possess SBR weapons. Only SOT equipped ones can have Class III type firearms, which are very rare in California. It is also very rare for PD to issue SBRs to their patrol officers.

WDE91
09-22-2012, 6:49 PM
You mine as well want a rainbow colored unicorn
SBR in CA for your average joe blow=pipe dream

wash
09-22-2012, 7:05 PM
Not quite true, C&R eligible off list AR lowers that are already registered as SBRs can be legally transferred in California.

It's best if you get an NFA trust to own the SBR which costs several hundred dollars to set up but it removes the requirement of chief law enforcement officer sign off.

So find a rare off list C&R eligible AR lower, get it SBRed out of state, then form an NFA trust and transfer the gun in to your trust.

You might be able to do that for $4-5,000.00

Not many people go to all that trouble.

Revolver Ocelot
09-22-2012, 7:32 PM
Ah, to live in a free state.

Full Clip
09-22-2012, 7:35 PM
If all you had to do was pay the tax stamp to have a sbr I bet there would be a 100,000 applications on Monday.

Would be a fast way for Sacto/Feds to raise a little cash from willing citizens, instead of shaking us down...

Plisk
09-22-2012, 7:38 PM
Not quite true, C&R eligible off list AR lowers that are already registered as SBRs can be legally transferred in California.

It's best if you get an NFA trust to own the SBR which costs several hundred dollars to set up but it removes the requirement of chief law enforcement officer sign off.

So find a rare off list C&R eligible AR lower, get it SBRed out of state, then form an NFA trust and transfer the gun in to your trust.

You might be able to do that for $4-5,000.00

Not many people go to all that trouble.

Don't those set-ups still have to comply with the 30" overall rule?

wash
09-22-2012, 9:03 PM
Well, yes but you could have maybe an 11.5" barrel with a longish flash hider (not blind pinned) or maybe shorter if you used an A5 buffer setup or a rifle style buffer tube and fixed stock like an ACE Skeleton.

Slinky
09-22-2012, 11:54 PM
op: you can have a barrel that is shorter than 16 inches however you will need to make sure whatever muzzle device you use will make it a min of 16 inches measured from bolt face closed to end of muzzle. most go with a 14.5 and get a extended a2 flash hider or u can go with a 14.7 and use a standard muzzle device.

or go 13.5 and get a noveske kx3 pig that will bring it over 16 if u want to shoot fireballs.

wash
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't think he's talking about short barrels with pinned muzzle devices.

If he wants something that isn't pinned to 16" or shorter, he still needs to jump through the hoops of obtaining a C&R SBR.

Holling
09-23-2012, 11:46 AM

The air is cleaner, the water tastes better, the barrels are shorter (W/ a $200 tax stamp) and the unicorns fart glitter due east of the Colorado River.

intensefab
09-23-2012, 2:09 PM

Oh so glad I moved....I guess I'll never be able to bring my 10.5 in barrel back to Cali, or darn!!