PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Arizona for the niner game next month , I plan to open carry !

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 3:19 PM
Not inside the stadium ! But while I tailgate :) I just called the Scottsdale police department and they gave me the go ahead ! She said as long as I don't bring it inside I'm fine . Lol jus wondering if anyone had any suggestions ?!?! She also mentioned that I can just drive to the desert and I can shoot almost anywhere I want ! I'm going to love this trip !!!!

Doheny
09-22-2012, 3:23 PM
OC at a tailgate party seems like asking for trouble. Why not keep it concealed? Too many drunks, etc., wanting to touch your gun, talking smack, etc.

Sure, it's a free state, yada, yada, yada, but you still need to use common sense.

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 3:24 PM
Is consealed carry legal too ??

Doheny
09-22-2012, 3:29 PM
I'm not sure if concealed carry is legal or not...somebody will chime in.

With that said, you posted in the rifle section....are you gonna OC your AR??

Have fun whatever you do and watch your six.

Steve G
09-22-2012, 3:36 PM
Not inside the stadium ! But while I tailgate :) I just called the Scottsdale police department and they gave me the go ahead ! She said as long as I don't bring it inside I'm fine . Lol jus wondering if anyone had any suggestions ?!?! She also mentioned that I can just drive to the desert and I can shoot almost anywhere I want ! I'm going to love this trip !!!!

Concealed carry is legal too. Why on earth do you want to open carry at a tailgate party :rolleyes:. LMAO

readysetgo
09-22-2012, 3:37 PM
from NRA-ILA guide (http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/arizona.aspx)

CARRYING
Arizona respects the right of law abiding citizens to openly carry a handgun. Any person 21 years of age or older, who is not prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license. Any person carrying without a license must acknowledge and comply with the demands of a law enforcement officer when asked if he/she is carrying a concealed deadly weapon, if the officer has initiated an "investigation" such as a traffic stop. READ ALL

It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation if under 21 years of age. Firearms carried in a vehicle shall be transported in a case, a holster or scabbard, a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

No person shall, unless specifically authorized by law, enter a public establishment or attend a public event carrying a firearm after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event to remove his firearm and place it in the custody of the operator or sponsor. This does not apply to shooting ranges or shooting events, hunting areas or similar locations or activities.

It is unlawful, unless specifically authorized by law, to enter an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a firearm.

It is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on grade or high school grounds. This shall not apply to an unloaded firearm within a means of transportation under the control of an adult, provided, if the adult leaves the vehicle, it shall be locked and the unloaded firearm shall not be visible, or for a program approved by the school.

The Department of Public Safety shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to a resident of the state at least 21 years old, a U.S. citizen, who satisfactorily completes an approved firearms safety program, submits fingerprints and a fee of $60 for a new license and $43 for a renewal, and who does not fall into a class of person prohibited to possess a firearm, such as a convicted felon, adjudicated mental incompetent, or illegal alien. The qualification checks shall be completed within 60 days of receipt of the application, and the permit will be issued within 15 working days after completing the checks. The permit is valid for not more than 5 years and is renewable every 5 years.

The Department of Public Safety shall enter into written agreements with states that require written agreements for the purpose of establishing mutual recognition. A person with a concealed firearm permit who is a resident of another state, is lawfully present and not prohibited from possessing a firearm in the state of Arizona, may carry a concealed firearm while in this state.

A person with a concealed weapons permit may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a liquor licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises.

A property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity shall not establish, maintain or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits a person from lawfully transporting or lawfully storing any firearm that is in the personís locked and privately owned motor vehicle or in a locked compartment on the personís privately owned motorcycle and not visible from the outside of the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

XDRoX
09-22-2012, 4:07 PM
It's legal to conceal carry, but wouldn't you rather drink? It's a football game. Enjoy yourself.

scglock
09-22-2012, 4:12 PM
Wouldn't open carry if I were you. Conceal if legal. If you want to drink, do not carry.

smog7
09-22-2012, 4:14 PM
I wouldn't carry at all, what's the point? Enjoy the bbq, beer and game.

tuna quesadilla
09-22-2012, 4:15 PM
I'm an AZ resident and I wouldn't OC at a tailgate party. That's all kinds of dumb. Keep it concealed or don't carry it at all. If you do carry, DO NOT drink. Not even just one beer.

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 4:18 PM
The point is Iv NEVER been able to enjoy this FREEDOM before in my life ( born and raised in Cali ) so for me to be ABLE to do so is amazing to me . I'm a season ticket holder and Iv gone across the country chasing my 49ers so for me to be able to do this is once in a life time ! I don't drink much so that's no biggie ! This Should be fun :))) can't wait

shooterbill
09-22-2012, 4:28 PM
If you have time, check out Scottsdale Gun Club. Hands down the best indoor range in the country. You have to be a member or shoot with a member, but worth checking out. There is a gunshop across from SGC that is outrageous. Several display cases of suppressors. Dillon is a short distance away also. The state run shooting facility,Ben Avery Range, is pretty impressive also.

tuna quesadilla
09-22-2012, 4:32 PM
Ok. OC at the hotel, OC when you stop into the QT to buy beers for later. To OC at a tailgate party instead of CCing shows incredibly poor judgment.

Also just FYI, assuming that you do not have an AZ CWP you MAY NOT carry into ANY bar or restaurant that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises regardless of whether you're OCing or CCing. Keep that in mind if you feel like going out with your buddies after the game.

ETA: Also the University of Phoenix stadium is completely on the other side of the valley from Scottsdale. Just FYI.

1000stars
09-22-2012, 4:40 PM
Alcohol and Guns = Poor Judgement.

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 4:41 PM
Sounds good ! I'll deff conceal carry when drunks are abundant ! I can't wait this whole experience is going to be fun !!!

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 4:42 PM
Why does everyone associate football with alcohol ???? Lol sounds like a personal problem to me .... I don't even drink hahaha

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 4:51 PM
Very good points sir ! I'll deff take them into consideration

RangemasterP226
09-22-2012, 4:57 PM
Oooooooo, look at me, I have a gun on my hip!

ChaneRZ
09-22-2012, 5:04 PM
Do concealed instead of open. Next thing you post " got banned in a football game while Oc'ing

Ziggy91
09-22-2012, 5:10 PM
This has bad news written all over it...
Too many possibilities, and it's not worth you feeling all good about your rights in another state.

My advice is: No

becxltoo984
09-22-2012, 5:17 PM
Couldn't think of a worse place to open carry ! :facepalm:

ptroxx
09-22-2012, 5:21 PM
first you say you dont drink much... now you dont drink at all....
this has fail all over it..

Chewbaca
09-22-2012, 5:28 PM
Thanks for the advise guys !!! I'll be sure to post picks of me and my girlfriend at the game :) with glocks and 1911's by our sides ! While we're holding up our 49er posters ;) !!!! Lol

becxltoo984
09-22-2012, 5:32 PM
Google "Open Carrier has gun stolen, then murdered with it" ..good for a few laughs !

Ziggy91
09-22-2012, 5:34 PM
I'm glad CGN lets us know who's a Junior Member... it's like an early warning radar to SHTF.

jonzer77
09-22-2012, 5:34 PM
Thanks for the advise guys !!! I'll be sure to post picks of me and my girlfriend at the game :) with glocks and 1911's by our sides ! While we're holding up our 49er posters ;) !!!! Lol

I have a feeling his next thread will be something along the lines of......."My gun was stolen from my car during the Niners Cardinals game, who do I report this to?"

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

BigRobb
09-22-2012, 5:37 PM
I would grab some good beers and leave the pistol out of the equation. Honestly, drinking with a carry has bad written all over it.

-It puts more ammo AGAINST you if you had to use it in self defense, in a court of law.
-Your judgement gets clouded, which can result in a disaster that could have been avoided.

I am a big advocate of 2a rights, as I would think the overwhelming majority of the people here are. If it were me, I'd grab some beers...enjoy the game...and exercise my rights elsewhere. Plenty of opportunity to do so, unless it is a fly in, GAME ON, then mad dash to the airport for a flight out situation.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, if I were to CC, I would be enjoying the game sans beer

Intimid8tor
09-22-2012, 5:38 PM
I'll add to the dogpile though I generally support those wanting to open carry. Open carry around town, at dinner, at breakfast, at the mall, etc. Conceal at the game so you don't problems with drunkards (remember, you are the opposing team), theft or anything else.

I open carry fairly frequently here in Boise. But, if I was going to tailgate at the Boise State game, I would not be carrying openly. Boise State is the closest thing we have to a professional sports venue and I am just using it as an example.

1000stars
09-22-2012, 5:40 PM
I don't drink much so that's no biggie ! This Should be fun :))) can't wait

Don't drink. Have fun and go Niner's. They almost went to the Superbowl last year. They are the team to watch this year!

ptroxx
09-22-2012, 5:44 PM
sorry man your just not using good judgement here.. now your bringing 2 guns into a stadium with a bunch of drunks .. these drunks will stake out your tailgate party and wait for you to go into the game and break into your car and then there will be 2 stolen guns out there for someone to do who knows what to who knows who... like others said.. im all about 2a... but this is just stupid...

tuna quesadilla
09-22-2012, 5:48 PM
Google "Open Carrier has gun stolen, then murdered with it" ..good for a few laughs !

Frankly I think you should be banned for that "good for a few laughs" comment, but that's not my decision to make.

If the OCer in question had been using a quality retention holster and had a secondary weapon handy (fixed-blade knife, etc) this probably would not have happened. When I OC I make a point to have a knife concealed on each side of my body so that if it comes down to a retention struggle I can (attempt to) slash his eyes, throat, or wrist/elbow tendons while we're struggling.

Speedpower
09-22-2012, 5:56 PM
Must be a kid that want to show off that he owns a gun :whistling:

ptroxx
09-22-2012, 6:04 PM
Must be a kid that want to show off that he owns a gun :whistling:

my thoughts exactly

Doheny
09-22-2012, 6:12 PM
49er game and guns = gang shooting.

Skin1991
09-22-2012, 6:23 PM
Not a good idea bud, don't take a gun to a football game. To much to go wrong.

Quiet
09-22-2012, 6:36 PM
IMO...
Do not open carry while tailgating at football game.

If you are drinking any alcohol, do not carry.
It's illegal to consume alcohol and carry in AZ.

If you are not drinking any alcohol, conceal carry.
You can not legally conceal carry within the football stadium.

tuna quesadilla
09-22-2012, 6:40 PM
Even with a good holster it can be tough to retain your gun. A lot of cops with double or triple retention holsers are still killed with their own pistols.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty." Unknown

We know. My idea of a quality retention holster is a Safariland with ALS+SLS retention. I don't know if you actually bothered to read the story but it read as if the 16 y/o just followed the guy into the gas station, yanked the pistol right out of his holster, and shot him in the chest. Bet you dollars to donuts the guy was carrying in a completely open-top leather or kydex concealment holster with no retention system.

Schutzman
09-22-2012, 7:09 PM
This could be bad for the gun community, as a whole. The op sounds young and a bit irresponsible, imho.

Schutz

Edit: corrected wording

wash
09-22-2012, 7:26 PM
49er game and guns = gang shooting.

More like a Dodgers game and Dodgers fans = beating an opposing team's fan nearly to death because the Dodgers lose a lot.

Why does everyone associate football with alcohol ???? Lol sounds like a personal problem to me .... I don't even drink hahaha

Well the meaning of Pre-game is to get drunk enough before the game so that you don't need as many $7.00 beers to maintain your buzz.

Have some common sense, OC at a tailgate isn't smart. CCW is OK but very likely unnecessary. It's better to get your kicks some other time on your trip, like OC at a supermarket and then take up their suggestion to blast away in the desert, just be sure of your surroundings and stay safe.

Maybe go to a range first and ask people where they go in the desert. You don't want to be so over the top about carry that you give Californians a bad name.

ParanoidCivilian
09-22-2012, 8:20 PM
The OP is an obvious coward. Open carry at a football game. Darwinism at its finest. :rolleyes:

jonzer77
09-22-2012, 8:21 PM
49er game and Raider fans = gang shooting.

FIFY

nitroxdiver
09-22-2012, 8:36 PM
Really bad idea, as has been stated numerous times. Not impressed, don't want to see pics, people there that see you are going to think you are simple. You'll probably end up getting the attention of stadium security, and you're also looking to get your car broken into.

Go watch the game. Have fun. Then go shoot in the desert and rent some NFA stuff at a class III dealer/range. Those pics will be much more appreciated.

Turbinator
09-23-2012, 1:17 AM
Frankly I think you should be banned for that "good for a few laughs" comment, but that's not my decision to make.

Good suggestion, thanks.

Turby

Distro
09-23-2012, 1:24 AM
I can see a "guns stolen from my car" thread in the near future.

Dinosaur Jr
09-23-2012, 5:32 PM
Knowledge: knowing you can legally do a thing...
Wisdom: understanding it's really not a good idea and making the smart choice...

starsnuffer
09-23-2012, 5:35 PM
OP sounds like a 21 year old kid who can finally get into the strip club.

-W

Which Way Out
09-23-2012, 5:51 PM
Spend a few extra days and chose your locations away from the larger population centers.

It takes time to really feel free. By that I mean when you lose the fact that you have it on your hip. Of course don't forget it's there.

Have fun.

trob
09-23-2012, 6:04 PM

You're really into drawing attention to yourself aren't you?

there's a reason this kind of crap never comes up in Idaho, because it isn't a big deal and the people up here don't care.

If OC "advocates" just did it without looking for attention, CA would still have open carry.

food for thought....don't be a nerd. It's not a big deal.....and no one cares.

ChaneRZ
09-23-2012, 6:06 PM
Check out my gat and clips

weekend_plinker
09-23-2012, 6:16 PM
While you are there spend a couple of extra days and get your non resident CCW permit. good for something like 38 states

Fortunesfool223
09-23-2012, 6:20 PM
The stadium is in Glendale Az, not Scottsdale. If you choose to not take the sage advice offered in this thread, and decide to carry anyway, then contact Glendale PD and make sure youre not violating a local ordinance.

darqhelmet
09-23-2012, 6:30 PM
Even with a good holster it can be tough to retain your gun. A lot of cops with double or triple retention holsers are still killed with their own pistols.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty." Unknown

Really? What is a lot to you?

As for the op why would you even think this is a good idea?

CK_32
09-23-2012, 6:55 PM
OP I think it will be a cool thing to show off and be the center of attention but think its going to just cause wanted/unwanted attention...

I feel it's more of a cool everyone look at me decision than I feel I might actually need this for protection...

tuna quesadilla
09-23-2012, 7:01 PM
While you are there spend a couple of extra days and get your non resident CCW permit. good for something like 38 states

The state of AZ does not issue non-resident permits. That is to say, there is only one permit and it is open to all citizens of the United States of America regardless of whether they live within the borders of AZ. :)

Getting the permit is as easy as taking a brief class (I took mine in ~2 hours on a Saturday morning), mailing in a packet to DPS, and waiting for them to mail back your permit.

Anybody from this forum who travels to AZ should see about doing this while they're here.

Squid
09-23-2012, 7:04 PM
too obvious.

jonzer77
09-23-2012, 7:18 PM
The state of AZ does not issue non-resident permits. That is to say, there is only one permit and it is open to all citizens of the United States of America regardless of whether they live within the borders of AZ. :)

Getting the permit is as easy as taking a brief class (I took mine in ~2 hours on a Saturday morning), mailing in a packet to DPS, and waiting for them to mail back your permit.

Anybody from this forum who travels to AZ should see about doing this while they're here.

What permit are you talking about?

AZ has constitutional carry although there are limits on it compared to having your CCW.

G-Man WC
09-23-2012, 7:59 PM

AZ has constitutional carry although there are limits on it compared to having your CCW.
If your a resident you can open carry anywhere but a bar and not concealed.
It was was that way when I lived in Tucson,AZ 85-90

Oh boy, you should stop off at Disneyland on your way home to CC.
"It's for my families safety" A laughable excuses at the happiest place on earth. You little field trip will not end well. Post on up with the real story when you return.
-g

Quiet
09-23-2012, 8:14 PM

Even though AZ has "constitutional carry", AZ still issues a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP).

Under AZ laws, AZ CWP holders can legally carry in more places than people relying on open carry or conceal carry without a permit.

Spyder
09-23-2012, 8:25 PM
Really? What is a lot to you?

More than zero.

Oneaudiopro
09-23-2012, 8:28 PM
The point is Iv NEVER been able to enjoy this FREEDOM before in my life ( born and raised in Cali ) so for me to be ABLE to do so is amazing to me . I'm a season ticket holder and Iv gone across the country chasing my 49ers so for me to be able to do this is once in a life time ! I don't drink much so that's no biggie ! This Should be fun :))) can't wait

There's one born every minute.............Don't be a schmuck.

56Chevy
09-23-2012, 8:37 PM
Is this an idea of the Brady Bunch to get the AZ law changed?:confused:

tuna quesadilla
09-23-2012, 8:40 PM

Please don't spread "advice" unless you know what you're talking about. Yes, we do have constitutional carry (though hearsay from an acquaintance who works with the Phoenix PD is that it may be going away) but you NEED a permit if you intend to be at all serious about carrying. Constitutional carry has serious limitations and pretty much only exists to tide you over while you wait for your CWP to arrive, or for out-of-staters who need some kind of carry provisions.

You should read more and make less sarcastic and erroneous comments.

jonzer77
09-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Please don't spread "advice" unless you know what you're talking about. Yes, we do have constitutional carry (though hearsay from an acquaintance who works with the Phoenix PD is that it may be going away) but you NEED a permit if you intend to be at all serious about carrying. Constitutional carry has serious limitations and pretty much only exists to tide you over while you wait for your CWP to arrive, or for out-of-staters who need some kind of carry provisions.

You should read more and make less sarcastic and erroneous comments.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was asking a question. You said Arizona doesn't issue to non residents but there is one permit that all people of the US can get. That is what I was asking about.

I am fully aware that constitutional carry has certain limitations and I even mentioned that in my post.

Quiet
09-24-2012, 6:34 AM
I wasn't being sarcastic, I was asking a question. You said Arizona doesn't issue to non residents but there is one permit that all people of the US can get. That is what I was asking about.

AZ has never issued a non-resident concealed weapons permit (CWP).
AZ only has one permit, the CWP. Which is issued to both residents and non-residents.
There is nothing in AZ laws or printed on the AZ CWP; that differentiates between a AZ resident & a non-resident of AZ.

zonzin
09-24-2012, 7:06 AM
Sounds good ! I'll deff conceal carry when drunks are abundant ! I can't wait this whole experience is going to be fun !!!

Seriously? Fun?? I thought the pupose of a weapon on ones person was to defend ones self and ones family. I didn't realize it was a party tool.

Curley Red
09-24-2012, 8:11 AM
I don't drink much so that's no biggie !

I don't even drink hahaha

So which is it? Do you drink a little or none at all?

SpunkyJivl
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I wouldnt OC myself in that situation. But I have to admit, I LOVE that free states have the option to do so. Makes me want to leave this blue state Gulag even more.

J.D.Allen
09-24-2012, 2:42 PM
Oh good Lord, this thread has so much fail it is beginning to hurt my head. First off, there are no local ordinances about carry. There can't be, as AZ has complete and total preemption. Meaning no county or municipality can make any law or ordinance that restricts carry more than the state laws.

Also, the law has changed since 1990, anyone who is not in a prohibited class can CC without a LTC as long as they are over 21 and do not carry into any bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.

You CA folks have to stop looking at OC in AZ through your CA goggles. No one in AZ cares, or thinks it's a big deal. They've seen it before, and they are not going to want to "touch your gun". That is just silly. OC in AZ is about as big of a deal as wearing sunglasses. The only people likely to even notice are those visiting from CA.

To the person who talked about giving Californians a bad name, I got news for you. Californians are already a joke here.

That being said, I OC all the time but there are places where I won't. This would be one of those places. Just too many people to keep an eye on at once. Why don't you just CC instead? You would be surprised how good it will feel even though no one else knows. Then go OC while at the grocery store (as long as you are not on an Indian reservation of any kind).

Also about drinking alcohol, the law actually only pertains to drinking while carrying IN AN ESTABLISHMENT THAT SERVES ALCOHOL. There is no law that I am aware of that prohibits drinking while carrying in a parking lot. However, I agree with everyone else here, if you are going to carry don't drink. Not even one. It's just a bad idea. You can always just go to the tailgate party and not drink. There's no law that says you have to.

About carrying on private property, if you are CC'ing you don't have to worry about it unless it is posted that you can't carry there or if an employee asks you to leave. You don't have to check with anyone ahead of time. Cops in AZ do not react to people with guns the way cops in CA do. Don't worry about it.

So welcome to AZ, I must warn you that you might just like enough to not want to go back. Have a good time and be safe!

762.DEFENSE
09-24-2012, 2:53 PM
Is consealed carry legal too ??
You need an AZ CCW for concealed carry.

tuna quesadilla
09-24-2012, 2:54 PM
Also, the law has changed since 1990, anyone who is not in a prohibited class can CC without a LTC as long as they are over 21 and do not carry into any bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.

There are more limitations than that. For example, without a permit you may not carry within 1000' of a school... kinda puts a damper on going just about ANYWHERE with a gun on your hip. ;) And that's a Federal law, so don't bother looking through the AZ statutes for that one.

You CA folks have to stop looking at OC in AZ through your CA goggles. No one in AZ cares, or thinks it's a big deal. They've seen it before, and they are not going to want to "touch your gun". That is just silly. OC in AZ is about as big of a deal as wearing sunglasses. The only people likely to even notice are those visiting from CA.

Podunk Yuma? Maybe. Metropolitan Phoenix? Wrong. People edge away, make comments, etc. Especially in the winter when all the friggin snowbirds are here.

To the person who talked about giving Californians a bad name, I got news for you. Californians are already a joke here.

True

That being said, I OC all the time but there are places where I won't. This would be one of those places. Just too many people to keep an eye on at once. Why don't you just CC instead? You would be surprised how good it will feel even though no one else knows. Then go OC while at the grocery store (as long as you are not on an Indian reservation of any kind).

Also about drinking alcohol, the law actually only pertains to drinking while carrying IN AN ESTABLISHMENT THAT SERVES ALCOHOL. There is no law that I am aware of that prohibits drinking while carrying in a parking lot. However, I agree with everyone else here, if you are going to carry don't drink. Not even one. It's just a bad idea. You can always just go to the tailgate party and not drink. There's no law that says you have to.

Agreed. Use some discretion here. CC and do not drink. OCing around a bunch of drunk retards isn't the best judgment.

About carrying on private property, if you are CC'ing you don't have to worry about it unless it is posted that you can't carry there or if an employee asks you to leave. You don't have to check with anyone ahead of time. Cops in AZ do not react to people with guns the way cops in CA do. Don't worry about it.

So welcome to AZ, I must warn you that you might just like enough to not want to go back. Have a good time and be safe!

And to clarify, if you are asked to leave because of your gun you must leave immediately or face trespass charges.

tuna quesadilla
You need an AZ CCW for concealed carry.

Read more, post less.

762.DEFENSE
Wouldn't open carry if I were you. Conceal if legal. If you want to drink, do not carry.
Agreed. Just because it's a very free state, there's no need to throw common sense to the wind, and wind up in jail or worse...

762.DEFENSE
09-24-2012, 2:56 PM
Read more, post less.
My applogies, I didn't realize that Gov. Jan Brewer of AZ signed into affect you no longer needed a permit for it.

Relax guy.

jonzer77
09-24-2012, 2:59 PM
My applogies, I didn't realize that Gov. Jan Brewer of AZ signed into affect you no longer needed a permit for it.

Relax guy.

Don't worry about it, now we know what time of the month to avoid asking him any questions so mark your calendar :)

eclectic
09-24-2012, 3:24 PM

Ew. I hate OC to begin with, but doing it in a crowd of ****faced Whisky Tangoes in Arizona sounds like dumb squared.

Knowledge: knowing you can legally do a thing...
Wisdom: understanding it's really not a good idea and making the smart choice...

This.

Nice strap on that gat, BTW.

projectalpha
09-24-2012, 5:28 PM
I conceal carried at the Grand Canyon for my friends bachelor party. One of the guys tried to "rat" me out to one of the Park Rangers. The Ranger just looked at me and said "You fit right in here".

Dinosaur Jr
09-24-2012, 5:30 PM
Nice strap on that gat, BTW.

Thank you. I like it a lot.

Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings - the skilled proprietor is a member here:

http://www.sandstormcustomrifleslings.com/index.htm

ham
09-24-2012, 5:58 PM
OP, better idea would be as soon as you cross into AZ, pull over, open the truck, put on your OC, turn towards CA, do some hip thrusts, then put the gun back in the trunk. that way its out of your system & you can enjoy the game in peace.

OP sounds like a 21 year old kid who can finally get into the strip club.

-W

if your waiting for 21 to go to a strip club, your going to the wrong places.:D:D

J.D.Allen
09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
There are more limitations than that. For example, without a permit you may not carry within 1000' of a school... kinda puts a damper on going just about ANYWHERE with a gun on your hip. ;) And that's a Federal law, so don't bother looking through the AZ statutes for that one.

Yes, I know. And while I would never advocate anyone breaking any law, I seriously doubt that any AZ LEO would enforce that federal law.

Podunk Yuma? Maybe. Metropolitan Phoenix? Wrong.

I must object to your description of Yuma as "podunk". We have at least three super Walmarts here. :D But seriously, if you don't count all the cities in Maricopa county that are really just suburbs of Phoenix, Yuma is the third largest city by population in the state.

People edge away, make comments, etc. Especially in the winter when all the friggin snowbirds are here.

Right. Snowbirds. People from other places. I don't know about Phoenix, but down here most of our snowbirds come from Canada. Not quite the gun friendly culture AZ is. I have OC'd in Phoenix, although briefly, and also in Tucson. No one ever did any of that to me...

And to clarify, if you are asked to leave because of your gun you must leave immediately or face trespass charges.

Indeed.

AddisonsOwn
09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
no reason to carry at the tailgate, at a football game too, I agree with others, could go bad fast. Just enjoy the game!

Speedpower
09-25-2012, 11:22 AM
OP, better idea would be as soon as you cross into AZ, pull over, open the truck, put on your OC, turn towards CA, do some hip thrusts, then put the gun back in the trunk. that way its out of your system & you can enjoy the game in peace.

if your waiting for 21 to go to a strip club, your going to the wrong places.:D:D

:rofl:

21SF
09-25-2012, 11:46 AM

You were told many time NOT to CC at all while tail gating, you seem to hear what you want.

In a previous post you said you drink little, now its not at all?

zombiescanlearn
09-25-2012, 1:23 PM
ummmmm, why would you want to do that? OC is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and taking it to a party where there is alcohol is just asking for trouble.

AK47American
09-25-2012, 1:35 PM
Watch out buddy. Carrying open in Arizona is telling everyone "hey! check out my gun! it'll get you a few hundred bucks at the pawn shop!" Not the least bit threatening. Only inviting to criminals. The reason I own self defense firearms is because I lived in Arizona, and have been in several situations where I needed them concealed. In one situation, had my firearm not been concealed, I would have been targeted and robbed.

ej25wrx
09-25-2012, 1:49 PM
You guys don't know anything! Isn't the whole point of owning any firearm to show it off? Whats the point of owning a gun if you cant walk around with it on your hip for no apparent reason at all!!! gosh!:p

whipkiller
09-25-2012, 2:18 PM
Well it might be hard to conceal since (judging by where he posted this), the OP is planning to OC a centerfile rifle.

r8dr rider
09-25-2012, 4:29 PM
You should wear two 6 shooters on each hip and go to a Cowboys game

Dinosaur Jr
09-25-2012, 4:35 PM
This thread is heading south fast....

zombiescanlearn
09-25-2012, 4:37 PM
I think this is just a joke on all of us. He's not going to OC.

d4v0s
09-25-2012, 4:42 PM

Even a little bit of drink is a no-no. CCW holders in Arizona can go into bars, but still cannot drink while carrying. I would be surprised to find out any alcohol consumption is OK when carrying.

I went riding for a week in arizona, literally carried everywhere I went concealed. What a great feeling, open carry loaded is cool too, but if you have the option why not conceal?

tmuller
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
The point is Iv NEVER been able to enjoy this FREEDOM before in my life ( born and raised in Cali ) so for me to be ABLE to do so is amazing to me

Less than 20 of California's 58 counties treat you like a subject with regard to carry. You've never OC'd before in CA? You must be young and/or new to firearms in CA. I also lived in Phoenix for 15 years, had a ccw too before const carry, and there is so much FUD in this thread it's ridiculous. That being said...do whatever the heck you want to do there it's your time and money...and no one cares.

Chewbaca
09-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Less than 20 of California's 58 counties treat you like a subject with regard to carry. You've never OC'd before in CA? You must be young and/or new to firearms in CA. I also lived in Phoenix for 15 years, had a ccw too before const carry, and there is so much FUD in this thread it's ridiculous. That being said...do whatever the heck you want to do there it's your time and money...and no one cares.

That's exactly what me and my girlfriend plan to do ! We just went and bought her a new holster just for the occasion haha , I'm also going to be goin out to the desert for some cardinal gear shooting ! Lol ill be sure to post pics when all is said and done , so be sure that this thread will resurrect after the game with a bunch of killer pics ! Thanks fellas

tmuller
09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
That's exactly what me and my girlfriend plan to do !

What are you going to do? Whatever you want? If so I should clarify...your time and money I was referring to is what will be sacrificed for doing dumb things. Be smart and be safe!!

AVID HUNTER
09-26-2012, 11:12 AM
It almost sounds as though many are just freaking out at the possibility that someone will be OCing at a tailgaiter. As Komifornians we are freaked out by a lot of what we see when we travel. I am a boater and when going to Havasu and Parker I always trip out seeing someone riding in the back of the truck, riding a motorcycle without a helmet and riding quads on the street. I hear that there are many that open carry on a daily basis including at football tailgaiters. Let's face it, living in California has really created a lot of people who are used to the lack of freedoms that we should still retain. It's just a matter of time that we all will be driving Chevy Volts and not allowed to hunt fish etc.

If you want to do it, go for it! Of course, just don't drink or think your d&&& is bigger than it is. People are there for a good time not to start problems.

AddisonsOwn
09-26-2012, 2:23 PM
having a good time can turn bad fast though with drinking involved, not to add to this post which has become a little too much for the simple question

SacTown
09-26-2012, 2:31 PM
I personally wouldn't want a firearm on my person if I plan on tailgating. I'd rather be drinking anyways. Tailgating without beer isn't near as fun. :grilling: Having said that, GO NINERS! :cheers2:

eclectic
09-26-2012, 4:21 PM
Seriously, I don't even understand this dude.

If you want to enjoy your freedom that's amazing to you or however you put it, here's my advice: plan a separate trip to Arizona. It takes about 4 1/2-5 hours for me to drive to AZ. If I were going to blow my own mind with this craaaazy freedom of which you speak, I'd sign up for a class or book some time on a range, go out into the sticks, strap my holster to my leg the second I hit the border, and show up and shoot.

Bringing a gun to a football game for the sole purpose of displaying it openly in a crowd of drunk people is like working out exclusively to crash a party and fight people, except for wusses. Don't be that guy.

21SF
09-26-2012, 4:51 PM
What are you going to do? Whatever you want? If so I should clarify...your time and money I was referring to is what will be sacrificed for doing dumb things. Be smart and be safe!!

Zing!!!!!!!!!!

Chewbaca
09-26-2012, 5:24 PM
Dam three pages ???? Lol wow well let first start off by saying .... HI HATERS !!! :) lmao this thread is long enough , I'll be the first to resurrect it tho when I post up all the fun pictures of the trip . So stay tuned !!!

trew10
09-26-2012, 5:38 PM
Sounds like funn. Go 49ers!

trew10
09-26-2012, 5:40 PM
It almost sounds as though many are just freaking out at the possibility that someone will be OCing at a tailgaiter. As Komifornians we are freaked out by a lot of what we see when we travel. I am a boater and when going to Havasu and Parker I always trip out seeing someone riding in the back of the truck, riding a motorcycle without a helmet and riding quads on the street. I hear that there are many that open carry on a daily basis including at football tailgaiters. Let's face it, living in California has really created a lot of people who are used to the lack of freedoms that we should still retain. It's just a matter of time that we all will be driving Chevy Volts and not allowed to hunt fish etc.

If you want to do it, go for it! Of course, just don't drink or think your d&&& is bigger than it is. People are there for a good time not to start problems.
This is so true, in Laughlin and havasu we do the same. Lol

tuna quesadilla
09-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Seriously, I don't even understand this dude.

If you want to enjoy your freedom that's amazing to you or however you put it, here's my advice: plan a separate trip to Arizona. It takes about 4 1/2-5 hours for me to drive to AZ. If I were going to blow my own mind with this craaaazy freedom of which you speak, I'd sign up for a class or book some time on a range, go out into the sticks, strap my holster to my leg the second I hit the border, and show up and shoot.

Bringing a gun to a football game for the sole purpose of displaying it openly in a crowd of drunk people is like working out exclusively to crash a party and fight people, except for wusses. Don't be that guy.

Well said. It's not a question of whether the OP should be allowed to do this; I think we all agree that the right to carry should be universal. The issue is that openly carrying in a massive crowd full of drunk people is incredibly stupid at best and downright catastrophic at worst.

When you even have AZ residents chiming in for you to keep it covered, you need to step back and consider whether you're really in the right here.

Lugiahua
09-27-2012, 12:42 AM
wait..I think it's a rifle forum right?
Does OP planning carry an AR in a football game? :rolleyes:

negolien
09-27-2012, 9:34 PM

:TFH: in one word.. stupid...

gregshin
09-27-2012, 11:04 PM
So with all the advice u are still willing not only to put yourself but also your gf at risk?

she deserves better and if you are going with friends or family so do they. I'm not saying that ur doing anything wrong and it's legal. But use judgement and don't be so selfish.

In the end nothing could possibly happen. But there's that chance that it could...if your gf got hurt in the end would really have been worth it? Life can be be pretty cruel when u make irresponsible decisions and things happen in a heartbeat.

vintagearms
09-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Tagged for the eventual train wreck....

Marinos
09-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I would keep the gun locked in the car while you drink. As for the free state experience, when you aren't drinking I do recommend you open or conciel carry and you should deffinitely go shooting. Shoot some class 3 weapons if possible. Get a taste of what this state should be. Man I miss living in Arizona. I would open carry my shotgun when I was riding in Tucson. It's just not a big deal there. People don't view you any different if you have a shotgun slung on your back. Plus people tend to be a lot nicer there from my experiences. Have fun and be safe!

Bobby Ricigliano
09-28-2012, 5:54 AM

If concealed carry is legal and you opt for open carry, the only rationale I can see for doing that is to 'show off' that you are carrying. That is just complete FAIL.

Also, since you want to make a spectacle of the fact that you are carrying around a bunch of drunks and then leaving it in your car, don't be surprised if your car gets burglarized by someone who saw you carrying it.

myk
09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
After the 'OP gets beaten/robbed/blasted for this stunt, I volunteer to drive to Arizona and take care of the emotional girlfriend...

-hanko
09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Dam three pages ???? Lol wow well let first start off by saying .... HI HATERS !!! :) lmao this thread is long enough , I'll be the first to resurrect it tho when I post up all the fun pictures of the trip . So stay tuned !!!
I think what you think is "HATE" is actually a number of people trying to save you the image of a stupid out-of-towner. Absolutely no issue with the right to carry openly, but you need to improve your ability to judge "when and where".

That's coming from someone who's spent more time in states that allow open carry with no questions asked than those who do not.

Most normal locals will judge you as a horse's arse.

Have a good trip, and post aar pics.:D

-hanko

audiophil2
09-28-2012, 3:32 PM
OP, do whatever you like while out here. That's what AZ is all about, the freedom to make your own choices. Sure it is most likely a bad idea to OC at the tail gate party but AZ gives you that right to be as smart or as stupid as you choose. I'm not going to tell you what you should do because that is what a nanny does.
If you have the time go out to Ben Avery and shoot for a little bit. When you see a machine gun make conversation with the owner. 9 times out of 10 when he learns you are visiting from CA he will practically force you to try his MG.

If you are coming out here from I-10 PM me and I will give you directions to a nice spot you can shoot in the desert 40 minutes from the stadium. You can OC all you want and even play cowboy drawing from your hip. Cabelas, across from the stadium, even sells tannerite if you feel the need to blow something up.

If you want to see a real gun shop instead of the showy and snobby SGC go checkout http://azfirearms.com/ down in Avondale. It's about 20 minutes from the stadium. They have all the guns most Californians only see in magazines and movies. See if they still have the Anzio 20mm "reach-way-out-and-touch-something" gun. That thing was a blast to shoot at their last private range party.