PDA

View Full Version : 9mm buffer and spring question

mike_c70
09-21-2012, 11:17 PM
For those of you with 9mm ARs, what buffer and spring are you guys using? Can I just chuck in a H3 buffer and carbine spring or does it have to be 9mm specific? The weight of a 9mm buffer isn't that much different than a H3. TIA!

bonesurf
09-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Was running RRA 9mm buffer and JP spring. Just got a spikes 9mm buffer and gonna try that

jingerale
09-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I have the spikes one, extra heavy and longer.

BigBamBoo
09-22-2012, 8:41 AM
I ended up with one of Slash's 9mm Q buffers and a Wolf spring. Worked flawlessly and highly recomend one.
You can order both from Slash's website here: http://heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine.html

Take care,Stan

mike_c70
09-22-2012, 5:36 PM
Wow! That's an expensive buffer. This 9mm hobby is getting expensive.

bonesurf
09-22-2012, 5:43 PM
9mm ARs are NOT cheap to build/buy. But they are a ton of fun and cheaper to shoot than 556

jingerale
09-23-2012, 2:12 AM
Wow! That's an expensive buffer. This 9mm hobby is getting expensive.

pay to play.

chead
09-23-2012, 2:14 AM
Spike's 9mm buffer

mike_c70
09-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Where can I find the Spike's ST-9X?

bloodhawke83
09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Where can I find the Spike's ST-9X?

Their website had it, I've bought directly from them before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

foOlio
09-24-2012, 1:21 AM
They had it on http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA009X&name=Spikes+Tactical+ST-9X+9mm+Stainless+Steel+Buffer&groupid=576
I believe Spikes stopped producing them for the time being. I went with Slash's 9mm Q buffers and a Wolf spring like bigbamboo. http://heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine.html

Mike0904
09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
What I'm using is a DPMS A2 stock with a Wolf (light) Carbine spring and a RRA's 9mm buffer with a tuned spacer for my reloads. My favorite rifle.

Sicarius
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
You can use a standard length buffer and put quarters in the stock to shorten up the stroke. Not sure how many.
Kevin

ar15barrels
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
You want to shorten the travel by at least 5/8" if using a standard length carbine buffer.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/9mm-spacer.jpg

mike_c70
09-24-2012, 8:35 PM
Went ahead and ordered from heavy buffers.

mike_c70
09-24-2012, 8:36 PM
Went ahead and ordered from heavy buffers.

ch3ck5ix
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, what kind of 9mm AR configurations do you have? I recently finished assembling my featureless 9mm AR with a DDLES Glock mag lower, 16" bbl upper, fixed A1 butt stock, etc. Not knowing much about blowback pistol caliber ARs, I researched as much as I could before my build and the conventional wisdom was that a heavy buffer was required to mitigate the bolt's inertia to prevent excessive force onto the hammer/trigger pins, etc. As such I installed a RRA 9mm Carbine Buffer (5.6 oz) with a standard carbine buffer spring and A2 buffer tube spacer.

When I took it out to the range after each shot the bolt would lock back. Initially I thought it was due to being new and needing to be broken in. But after going through a couple mags and getting tired of manually having to release the bolt back into battery, I decided to swap out the heavy buffer with a standard carbine buffer. That did the trick and the rifle was running like a champ! No problems feeding, extracting, etc. -- heck, I even got it zeroed and had nice 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards!

Anyway, should I be concerned with any potential issues with the bolt damaging the hammer/trigger pins (or any other components) since I'm using a lighter standard carbine buffer? It works as configured but seems contrary to what I've "learned" about blowback ARs. I did install KNS anti-rotation pins as insurance from damage to the hammer/trigger pins. Am I over-thinking this issue especially since it works as is. My main objective is to have a safe and reliable rifle but since I have no experience with blowback ARs I have no frame of reference. I'd appreciate your thoughtful insights.

ar15barrels
09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Anyway, should I be concerned with any potential issues with the bolt damaging the hammer/trigger pins (or any other components) since I'm using a lighter standard carbine buffer?

IF you have mags that will activate the bolt stop after the last round is fired, you should be concerned about the bolt stop being broken by the excessive bolt travel.

If your mags don't activate the bolt stop, you have nothing to worry about.

It's odd that your bolt stop was getting activated between shots (assuming you had loaded multiple rounds into a mag).
This is a problem that changing the buffer should have nothing to do with.
Perhaps you have a lever attached to the bolt stop that is adding mass and making the bolt stop activate in recoil?

bonesurf
09-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Did you get a DD or lone wolf bolt modified for a glock extractor?

ch3ck5ix
09-26-2012, 1:27 PM
Thanks for quick reply, guys.

IF you have mags that will activate the bolt stop after the last round is fired, you should be concerned about the bolt stop being broken by the excessive bolt travel.

If your mags don't activate the bolt stop, you have nothing to worry about.

It's odd that your bolt stop was getting activated between shots (assuming you had loaded multiple rounds into a mag).
This is a problem that changing the buffer should have nothing to do with.
Perhaps you have a lever attached to the bolt stop that is adding mass and making the bolt stop activate in recoil?
With the DDLES lower it does hold the bolt after the last round. I had multiple rounds (of the same manufacture) loaded in the magazines. The only variable was the change out of the heavier buffer with the standard carbine buffer. Now you got me worried about breaking some parts... Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a lever attached to the bolt stop that is adding mass and making the bolt stop activate in recoil?"...? The bolt stop looks just like a regular AR's.... I'm not sure what you're inferring as a cause for the heavier buffer to activate the bolt stop during recoil -- can you please elaborate?

Did you get a DD or lone wolf bolt modified for a glock extractor?

I have the ramped bolt machined by DDLES for Glock mags. I didn't experience any feed or extraction issues from any of the mags.

bonesurf
09-26-2012, 1:59 PM
Well....I'm not sure whats going on but my set up was a standard "magwelled" lower using the RRA buffer and a cmmg ramped bolt. No issues. I have traded for a spikes buffer but haven't shot it since I got that buffer.

I AM thinking about the DD lower so I can use glock mags and get rid of my ASC/colt mags (too many mags)

ch3ck5ix
09-26-2012, 2:28 PM
Well....I'm not sure whats going on but my set up was a standard "magwelled" lower using the RRA buffer and a cmmg ramped bolt. No issues. I have traded for a spikes buffer but haven't shot it since I got that buffer.

I AM thinking about the DD lower so I can use glock mags and get rid of my ASC/colt mags (too many mags)

I appreciate your input. The DDLES lower is very nice but pricey, but if you consider a standard AR lower plus a quality 9mm conversion block (plus colt/uzi mags) would put it in the same price range. I really like that it has a last round hold open and drops Glock and KCI mags (unlike the Lone Wolf lower). The fact that it takes all my Glock mags was the selling point for me. Also, if you're interested DDLES now has a Glock Large Frame mag lower for some .45 or 10mm action!:43:

My 9mm AR build was originally conceived as a faux-SBR with fake can -- but I overlooked the fact that the DDLES Glock mag lower can't take a bullet button! Although, supposedly, they're working on a custom bullet button for it. So I wound up going the featureless route and it tuning more like a full-size A2 style rifle (sans carry handle). So much for faux-SBR, it's longer than my carbine AR.:rolleyes:

Hopefully some of our more enlightened Calgunners with blowback AR experience can chime in...

bonesurf
09-26-2012, 2:35 PM
Riflegear sells Raddlock for the dd glock lower. As soon as they have the lowers I'm getting one

My build
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/27/e7urasat.jpg

ch3ck5ix
09-26-2012, 4:06 PM
Riflegear sells Raddlock for the dd glock lower. As soon as they have the lowers I'm getting one

Ohhh man -- wish I had known about that a couple months ago when I was buying parts for my build :mad:.
Oh well, I've already spent more than I planned with my build... Besides, I'm kinda digging the featureless setup (except for the grip wrap) and being able to drop mags without a tool, plus I can use my pre-ban mags...:p

Maybe I'll pick up another DDLES lower with a Raddlock but do a faux-SBR but in 10mm!!!:cool:

Here's mine:
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/351/797/10696

ar15barrels
09-26-2012, 9:40 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a lever attached to the bolt stop that is adding mass and making the bolt stop activate in recoil?"

A magpul BAD would be an example.

I'm not sure what you're inferring as a cause for the heavier buffer to activate the bolt stop during recoil -- can you please elaborate?

Your finger could be bumping an extended bolt stop lever during recoil.

The same thing happens on pistols when people ride their thumb under the slide stop lever.
As the gun recoils, their finger pushes the slide stop up and the slide stays back...

ch3ck5ix
09-26-2012, 9:53 PM
A magpul BAD would be an example.

Your finger could be bumping an extended bolt stop lever during recoil.

The same thing happens on pistols when people ride their thumb under the slide stop lever.
As the gun recoils, their finger pushes the slide stop up and the slide stays back...

Thanks for your input, Randall. But as you can see from the pic above of my rifle, there is no Magpul BAD lever and I have a grip wrap so my thumb (I'm a righty) can't accidentally engage the slide stop lever. If you have any other hypotheses or suggestions, I'm all ears...