PDA

View Full Version : Safari rifles, or sporterized ex-mil bolt actions?

frankm
09-21-2012, 7:47 PM
After watching old jungle movies, etc. I'm really digging the bolt-action rifles with iron sights. These rifles seem rugged and quick handling, even when they have scopes. What are some decent "safari" type rifles?

RalphAdopolis
09-21-2012, 7:51 PM
From what I have read Fjold would be the one to answer this question, he has an awesome trophy room.

frankm
09-21-2012, 7:55 PM
I couldn't buy an expensive one. I just watched Crocodile Dundee 2, and he had what looked like a cut-down Lee-Enfield. I wouldn't want a .303 but some other sporterized ex-mil weapon would be nice.

WDE91
09-21-2012, 7:58 PM
CZ 550s

Fjold
09-21-2012, 8:18 PM
When you say Safari rifles, I think of the big bores that are capable of taking any of the Big Five dangerous game species.

For off the shelf bolt guns:

Any of the big bore Mausers like the original Mausers, Zastavas and Whitworths. The big bore Winchester Model 70s in either the pre-64 or the Classic actions. The CZ 550, the Ruger RSMs and even the big bore Ruger Hawkeyes in the new Ruger magnum cartridges are very popular.

The Sakos, Blasers and even the Brownings have a following in Africa and many people bring their push feed Remingtons in the classic cartridges or the big RUMS.

My eyes are old enough to appreciate scopes on even my dangerous game rifles and I even know people who take the scopes off their guns for the picture taking with their trophies to get the classic look. I'm not that vain.

For plains game most people hunting Africa bring their scoped deer rifles.

smog7
09-21-2012, 9:39 PM
Stick a mosin in a wood sporter stock.

ArmedArtist
09-21-2012, 9:48 PM
When I inherited my grandpas sporterized Lee Enfield .303 I did some reading to learn about it and came across reports of it being used to hunt large game in Africa.

BHPFan
09-22-2012, 7:16 AM
Any of the big bore Mausers like the original Mausers, Zastavas and Whitworths.

Maybe it's a silly question, but does 7.92x57mm (the 8mm Mauser) qualify as a big bore caliber? In other words, do those K98, Vz24 and M48 qualify as big bore Mausers?

Thanks in advance.

Fjold
09-22-2012, 7:36 AM
Maybe it's a silly question, but does 7.92x57mm (the 8mm Mauser) qualify as a big bore caliber? In other words, do those K98, Vz24 and M48 qualify as big bore Mausers?

Thanks in advance.

The big bores are 9.3X64 and larger, (.366 caliber) because that is the smallest allowed for dangerous game in all but 1 country in Africa. A lot of the countries require the 375 H&H magnum as the minimum cartridge for DG.

Many old Mauser are rebarreled to 9.3 and larger cartridges for the hard core bolt action DG hunters and are one of the more popular rifles.

But ex-military 303s, 7x57, 8x57 are all over Africa as farmers rifles and hunting (plains game) rifles. Remember that 90+% of all African hunting is for plains game (non-dangerous game) so the standard military cartridges work fine.

gotshotgun?
09-22-2012, 7:54 AM
Lot of M1917s rebareled for bigbore cartridges for safari use. Very strong action.

wash
09-22-2012, 9:36 AM
I've heard of 6.5*55 being used for elephant because it's sectional density is really high with a 160 grain round nose hunting bullet.

I'm not sure how common that was but I think that's the exception that proves you don't need a big bore for a ~safari rifle.

My sporterized Arisaka is certainly not a dangerous game rifle but it is a sporterized military action with a chambering that has some Africa history.

GW
09-22-2012, 9:38 AM
Depends on your budget and what you want to hunt.
CZ550 in 375 H&H is very useful both here and in Africa (and anywhere else for that matter;)) and it is quite reasonable. Winchester Model 70 in pre-64 configuration is also rock solid but more expensive
It just gets down to your budget and what you really want to do.

Fjold
09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I've heard of 6.5*55 being used for elephant because it's sectional density is really high with a 160 grain round nose hunting bullet.

I'm not sure how common that was but I think that's the exception that proves you don't need a big bore for a ~safari rifle.

My sporterized Arisaka is certainly not a dangerous game rifle but it is a sporterized military action with a chambering that has some Africa history.

100+ years ago Karamojo Bell used the 7mm for elephants quite successfully but that was when most elephants had never seen a white man and he was hunting elephants where no one else had ever done it. It also helped that he was probably one of the best shots in the world, he used to practice shooting flying birds out of the air with his rifle.

In the modern world where elephants know humans, no one except poachers shoots small bore rifles for elephants and most of that is done with AK47s where the poachers just pump a magazine full of rounds into the body of the elephant and let it run off and die.

smittty
09-22-2012, 1:48 PM
Ruger offers their African model in 223 Rem with a 23" barrel. I think it's their only 223 with iron sights. 223 in Africa?

smog7
09-22-2012, 1:50 PM
you should buy this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=623211

Fjold
09-22-2012, 2:55 PM
Ruger offers their African model in 223 Rem with a 23" barrel. I think it's their only 223 with iron sights. 223 in Africa?

The centerfire 22s are popular rounds for cull hunting of small antelope. There are numerous antelope like the Springbok, Steenbok, Dik-Dik, klippies, etc. that weight less than 50 Lbs there in Africa, along with many small varmints and predators.

When I went to Namibia, I could have shot a ton of Rock Hyrox, hares, Jackals and small cats, with a 223.