PDA

View Full Version : Identify this bullpup rifle!

thenodnarb
09-20-2012, 7:13 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/thenodnarb/IMG_4317_zps52f68055.jpg

What is this thing? It says B.F.I on the side. Cal 223

PatientCone
09-20-2012, 7:15 PM
Bushmaster M17s

swifty
09-20-2012, 7:15 PM
Bushmaster M17S

thenodnarb
09-20-2012, 7:19 PM
good gun? Piece of crap? cali legal?

swifty
09-20-2012, 7:22 PM
My big gripe is that the barrel is too close to the forearm. The support hand gets hot way too soon.

Chaos47
09-20-2012, 7:34 PM
good gun? Piece of crap? cali legal?

It is off list so therefore legal if configured correctly ie magazine locked or featureless.

(could be a good candidate for featureless as its already a fixed stock and does not appear to have a flash suppressor, just needs a grip wrap)

crazychinaman
09-21-2012, 9:44 AM
The orignal rifle was made in Australia in the late 80's.Then Bushmaster took over and produced them here in the US when the 89 ban went into effect.So there where two versions made.One with flashider and one with plain end on barrel.Saw a live fire demonstration at the SOF Convention in 87.

Cali-Shooter
09-21-2012, 9:46 AM
M-17 S. Takes AR mags. Interesting gun, I know people who have them as pet projects.

FMJBT
09-21-2012, 10:56 AM
My brother used to have one of those. My opinions on bullpups in general are based mostly off of my experiences with this rifle, which were mostly unfavorable. Horrible trigger pull, one of the worst I've seen on any rifle including HK's. I attribute this to the linkage assembly required to connect the "trigger" to the actual trigger assembly which is behind the magazine well. The ejection port is also located right under your eyeball, so about halfway through a magazine your eyes will tear up and you can't see anything clearly due to the smoke and fumes from spent casings. It was also surprisingly heavy for it's compact size. We never weighed it, but it seemed about as heavy as a 20" HBAR AR-15 at least.

saki302
09-21-2012, 4:00 PM
I used to have one- I sold it because of a few issues (pretty much non-repairable issues).

The BIG one was the trigger bar. It's long, and mine would bend so it would no longer fire. You'd have to pop it open, re-bend it and put it back in. Not confidence inspiring, IMO. (you'll note successfull bullpup designs have straight rods to press the sear, only the M17 has a weird snakey linkage thing).

The other big gripe is heat. Pop off anything more than 10 rounds and the forend gets HOT. I suppose a bottom rail with a vertical grip would help this, though mine just never seemed to cool down after it heated up.

Also, if it jams up, there's virtually no way to clear it- no direct cocking handle, no forward assist. And the OEM optic mount is JUNK (they have better rails to mount up now).

Last thing was th enon replaceable pistol grip. It was uncomfortable to me, and a bit ugly. Had they made it accept any AR grips, it would have been a nice touch.

I sold mine back in 1999. I can't say I really miss it.