PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Scout ticking off range buddies?

kjgun
09-20-2012, 12:02 AM
is the Scout really loud due to the flash hider and short barrel? is it so loud that it bugs the hell out of people next to you at the range?

want a 308 for hunting that won't fatigue me by the weight which is why i like the scout. But also range as well for off-hand, prone, and bench.

CessnaDriver
09-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Not really, I have never had anyone comment. Lots of loud guns out there.

Cadre
09-20-2012, 12:21 AM
range = loud if you ask me.

oppe4021
09-20-2012, 12:28 AM
No, actually everyone so far has wanted to check out my GSR and see what the boom is.

Yerman
09-20-2012, 12:33 AM
I like loud ;-)

BigRobb
09-20-2012, 12:57 AM
I find it weird that people at a GUN RANGE where things go bang pop and boom constantly....complain about noise. That's like going swimming and complaining about why you are constantly wet.

They need to get over themselves.

If I hear a loud gun go off it piques my interest and usually start a conversation with the person. Doesn't bug me one bit!

jyo
09-20-2012, 2:08 AM
I have to say, short-barrel 308 rifles like the Ruger Scout and HK 91s ARE unpleasent to be around when they are being shot---yeah, I do know its a range and its loud...

MrPlink
09-20-2012, 2:22 AM
F em if it is. Shooting ranges, rock concerts and Itallian weddings are not places I expect peace and quiet.

50BMGBOB
09-20-2012, 3:33 AM
That ain't loud. Come out and shoot my 50BMG some time.

ouch1
09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
My Remington 788 is the type of rifle your Gunsite Scout is based on, and every time I take it to the range people say it is one of the loudest rifles there. It has an 18.5 inch barrel and is a total blast to shoot because of the loud report, solid recoil, and huge fireballs it puts out. One time at the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club range I had a couple ladies on the tin can range move to the opposite end of the range from me due to the noise and muzzle blast. LOL!!! I love firing it, and so does my wife. Here are a couple videos from my last range trip:
HWDqMwOcCAg You can see the recoil and get an idea of how loud it is.
OmKDHZNpjg4 You can see the muzzle flash in this one.

-ouch1

BTW there was a guy there with another 788, but he had the long barrel version (24 inch barrel) that was also chambered in .308. It had no where near the bark, muzzle flash/blast, or recoil mine does. He fired a couple rounds through mine and said "Holy crap that short barrel makes a huge difference". LOL! I still love shooting my rifle.

Legasat
09-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I kinda thought LOUD is what ear protection was all about

Just sayin...

njineermike
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
What is it with all the "loud" comments at ranges lately? What part of "guns go BOOM" is unclear to these people?

bombadillo
09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
OH NOES, a loud gun at a rifle range. Seriously, tell them to pound sand if your rifle is "too loud". That is just ridiculous. What if you wanted to shoot your .300 Win Mag or .338LM out there. Would they complain about that or would they think it was a cool rifle.

zfields
09-20-2012, 11:12 AM
What is it with all the "loud" comments at ranges lately? What part of "guns go BOOM" is unclear to these people?

Big difference between loud and obnoxiously loud / concussive. Sorry, I get bitter when the guys shooting 50 Cal's with huge brakes thinks its funny to set up to grandpa trying to teach a kid with a 22, then laugh when the kid wants to leave.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

Black Majik
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Ruger Scout shouldn't be too bad, if I remember correctly it comes with a flash hider on it. With all the gun fire at the range it shouldn't be obnoxiously loud to those around you. You're good to go.

CK_32
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

You obviously haven't shot next to a snub in 44mag shooting hot loads or a hot 500.

When you feel the heat from his muzzle 3 lanes down and the whole range turns yellow every shot and you can hear his gun over your 9mm/357/40 in your hand yea it's a bit much.

cfusionpm
09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Big difference between loud and obnoxiously loud / concussive. Sorry, I get bitter when the guys shooting 50 Cal's with huge brakes thinks its funny to set up to grandpa trying to teach a kid with a 22, then laugh when the kid wants to leave.

I got my Surefire brake off a fellow calgunner who said he got complaints at his local indoor range. Having just sighted in my irons last weekend.... I can see where people get that notion. :P

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/4544/flashz.jpg

CK_32
09-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I think if I were on your left side I'd reach over and punch you for singing my eye brows and melting my Glock lol

cfusionpm
09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I think if I were on your left side I'd reach over and punch you for singing my eye brows and melting my Glock lol

I got a few stares haha. Most people were like "WTF are you shooting!" I said it was just a .223.... but instead of a flash hider, I had a flash enhancer!

tacticalcity
09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/vepr_308_23in_kneeling_0636_zps63f2f9ec.jpg

Wait...what were we talking about? Completely lost my train of thought.

CK_32
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I know the first time I saw them post in a topic I was like wtf does a hot *** girl shooting a rifle have to do with this convo...

Took me like 10 min to figure out it was his sig pic.

Then after finally realizing it wasn't a reply I found my self staring and saying dam... Not too shabby lol

kjgun
09-20-2012, 1:16 PM
Never saw it happen on a scout, but I do remember one time a group being asked to move over because of something they had that was quite loud. Might have to get that scout and try it out!

chead
09-20-2012, 1:18 PM
I had a .308 pistol for a while. Folks were mad.

pdude
09-20-2012, 1:21 PM
My Remington 788 is the type of rifle your Gunsite Scout is based on, and every time I take it to the range people say it is one of the loudest rifles there. It has an 18.5 inch barrel and is a total blast to shoot because of the loud report, solid recoil, and huge fireballs it puts out. One time at the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club range I had a couple ladies on the tin can range move to the opposite end of the range from me due to the noise and muzzle blast. LOL!!! I love firing it, and so does my wife. Here are a couple videos from my last range trip:
difference". LOL! I still love shooting my rifle.

That didn't seem that loud. Though I'm sure it was louder than it seemed. :43:

tacticalcity
09-20-2012, 1:21 PM
I know the first time I saw them post in a topic I was like wtf does a hot *** girl shooting a rifle have to do with this convo...

Took me like 10 min to figure out it was his sig pic.

Then after finally realizing it wasn't a reply I found my self staring and saying dam... Not too shabby lol

I didn't hear a word you said...wait...what...shhh...I'm trying to concentrate.

Write Winger
09-20-2012, 1:37 PM
My PLR16 with the muzzlebrake basically made everyone stop shooting after the first couple shots. I suddenly became more aware of how freaking loud/concussive it was when I realized everything else got quiet. It's kinda painful, and I felt like a db. Had some guys come over asking "what's that hand cannon you were shooting?"

Turo
09-20-2012, 1:55 PM

I think I have it figured out. Most people wear their ear protection incorrectly. Everywhere from not rolling plugs before putting them in (sticking 3/4" out of their ears) to wearing earmuffs with glasses that don't allow them to completely seal. Then, they complain that the plain old .308 is too loud. Well yeah, if you are completely negating your ear protection a .308 is gonna be way too loud.

90% of people I see shooting wear their ear plugs incorrectly, it's way too common.

ouch1
09-20-2012, 2:51 PM
That didn't seem that loud. Though I'm sure it was louder than it seemed. :43:

It was the loudest thing there that day. I had people coming over and asking me what the hell it was. And when I told them it was a .308 they were a little perplexed until I showed them how short the barrel is. Then they were a bit shocked that a deer rifle came with such a short barrel (18.5 inches). I let one guy fire it and he was a little shocked at how big of a difference in recoil the shorter barrel made compared to his R700 with a 24" barrel. The funny thing is I had a RSO behind me the entire time I was there cause in his words, "It is awesome to watch a scout rifle make bigger fireballs and have louder barks than the ritzy guys who have a hard time hitting steel with their overpriced target rifles.".

-ouch1

BTW I had a friend over on the Rimfire range and he flat out could tell when I fired my rifle over the reports of the other rifles that were firing.

email
09-20-2012, 3:22 PM
I've got a pws brake on my v51p.

I love it!

AleksandreCz
09-20-2012, 3:50 PM
Some People will complain no matter what But I think it has to do with range etiquette if there are a bunch of empty spots why would you sit next to a guy if you have oh I dont know a braked 338 lapua mag ? if there is only one spot open well then the people around you have to deal with it.
What really bugs me at ranges though is brass flying in my face from the guy nex to me

ouch1
09-20-2012, 4:05 PM
What really bugs me at ranges though is brass flying in my face from the guy next to me

That annoys me a little more than having a guy with a muzzle brake in the lane next to me. Nothing worse than hot brass landing on the exposed skin of your neck, arms, or hands. That sucks big time.

-ouch1

Capybara
09-20-2012, 4:08 PM
Yeah, don't get the whole "loud guns" thing. Of course guns are loud but if you have good ear protection, that is moot point.

I can understand the concussion when I am at the indoor range and the guy the next lane over starts shooting his 870 with 3" magnum loads, it's not loud but the concussion can be off-putting. But I just grin and bear it, it is shooting after all, not a day at the spa.

Even brass doesn't bug me too much as long as I don't get burned. Even if I do get burned, I don't go off on the guy whose gun ejected, that's part of shooting.

Capybara
09-20-2012, 4:08 PM
Yeah, don't get the whole "loud guns" thing. Of course guns are loud but if you have good ear protection, that is moot point.

I can understand the concussion when I am at the indoor range and the guy the next lane over starts shooting his 870 with 3" magnum loads, it's not loud but the concussion can be off-putting. But I just grin and bear it, it is shooting after all, not a day at the spa.

Even brass doesn't bug me too much as long as I don't get burned. Even if I do get burned, I don't go off on the guy whose gun ejected, that's part of shooting.

Jimmy310
09-20-2012, 4:14 PM
I have a AR15 with a miculek compensator that is louder than my buddies ar10 and pisses people off next to me at the range. I usually let them shoot it after i piss them off to make up for it.

Fadedline
09-20-2012, 4:17 PM
Tell them to take up knitting if it bothers them.

Fjold
09-20-2012, 4:26 PM
BTW there was a guy there with another 788, but he had the long barrel version (24 inch barrel) that was also chambered in .308. It had no where near the bark, muzzle flash/blast, or recoil mine does. He fired a couple rounds through mine and said "Holy crap that short barrel makes a huge difference". LOL! I still love shooting my rifle.

It was a 22", I have one and I agree it is not near as loud as the short barreled ones.

ouch1
09-20-2012, 4:31 PM
It was a 22", I have one and I agree it is not near as loud as the short barreled ones.

Thanks! I though he said 24, but I was not sure. One thing I do know is that he said his was practically pleasant to shoot compared to mine. :)

-ouch1

wash
09-20-2012, 4:32 PM
Indoor ranges are not the right place for a brake, even on a handgun.

.308 needs more like 21" for a complete (more or less) powder burn, so any powder that doesn't get burned in 18.5" gets turned in to noise and blast.

My friend's Serbu .50 BMG blew a full box of ten rounds off of a shooting bench. If you are in the wrong place, the blast can be very strong.

Directly behind a braked rifle is the best place to be.

AleksandreCz
09-20-2012, 5:15 PM

I don't go off on people ever at the range unless they are doing something that puts me or someone else in danger in my experience a simple conversation can solve most issues you are having with a person next to you if you tell them that their brass keeps hitting you in the face they will most likely get a brass shield

50BMGBOB
09-20-2012, 8:17 PM

BIG +1 on that.

Sad to say, common curtsey is not as common as it should be. Being uncurtious is a big reason big guns get banned from some ranges. I know the concussion is the thing that gets to most. I always try to minimize when I can by getting as far away from others as I can. I always bring extra plugs & muffs and incourage those near by to double up. I also bring extra ammo to let them try it. I know a few shooters who go take a break while I am shooting it and I feel bad but they also respect that I do minimize what I can. Everyone have a right to shot, not a right to be rude.

Schlyme
09-20-2012, 8:54 PM
I usually double up plugs and muffs when a really load gun is being shot or at the indoor range. My brother has an AR with a JP upper. the 18" barrel has an integral muzzle break that usually hits me with his pressure wave. Spokes me every time lol. It's also loader then my bull barrel 16". There is a reason we shoot side by side for a reason lol.

10mm
09-20-2012, 9:44 PM
I don't mind noise. I do mind bieng hit by empty shells. AK's are notorious for this. I just move to anothet area when some clown shows up with one. I try to avoid confrontation when possible.

zfields
09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't mind noise. I do mind bieng hit by empty shells. AK's are notorious for this. I just move to anothet area when some clown shows up with one. I try to avoid confrontation when possible.

Most aks shoot about 3yards right and 15 yards forward.....

I get hit by far more sprinkings of 22 brass.

BigRobb
09-21-2012, 12:23 AM

I don't know about other ranges, but the range I go to they do their best to stick the long guns in a separate room of 5 stalls away from the pistols. And keep the pistols and the .22 long rifles together. They inspect what everyone is shooting to not only make sure the firearms are clear, but to judge where they are going to put you.

At that point I would say first blame the range for stickin the two groups of people side by side (.22 and D-bags laughing at an innocent child). Either way, no one should be purposely trying to ruin another shooters experience and find it comical.

I'd be pissed if I saw this too.

Sent using smoke signals

doc1buc
09-21-2012, 7:59 AM
Bwa-ha-ha, ranges! BLM and free my friends!

bombadillo
09-21-2012, 8:04 AM
BIG +1 on that.

Sad to say, common curtsey is not as common as it should be. Being uncurtious is a big reason big guns get banned from some ranges. I know the concussion is the thing that gets to most. I always try to minimize when I can by getting as far away from others as I can. I always bring extra plugs & muffs and incourage those near by to double up. I also bring extra ammo to let them try it. I know a few shooters who go take a break while I am shooting it and I feel bad but they also respect that I do minimize what I can. Everyone have a right to shot, not a right to be rude.

I understand that, but you have to figure there are going to be guns that are loud at a GUN RANGE! Recently, I stopped shooting my .44 because a guy was trying to teach his kid to shoot a .22 or a .17 or something. I put down the .44 and started shooting my .22 and smaller rifles to plink with until he got comfortable. The dad looked over at me and thanked me just kind of mouthing it to me while his kid was on the line. I had courtesy and would want the same, but you can't EXPECT it from everyone due to the number of jerks out there.

r8dr rider
09-21-2012, 8:09 AM
Who cares its a range not a damn library.... do libraries still exist?

G-Man WC
09-21-2012, 8:10 AM
No way, a 308?
Try being on the firing line in 10 to 15 lanes from a 50cal and
I bet they will welcome back the 308 with open arms. -g

Merc1138
09-21-2012, 8:10 AM
I understand that, but you have to figure there are going to be guns that are loud at a GUN RANGE! Recently, I stopped shooting my .44 because a guy was trying to teach his kid to shoot a .22 or a .17 or something. I put down the .44 and started shooting my .22 and smaller rifles to plink with until he got comfortable. The dad looked over at me and thanked me just kind of mouthing it to me while his kid was on the line. I had courtesy and would want the same, but you can't EXPECT it from everyone due to the number of jerks out there.

I've done the same when I see kids and people teaching new shooters next to me, but I'm not going to do change what I'm doing because a grown adult whines about noise.

therealnickb
09-21-2012, 8:13 AM
That ain't loud. Come out and shoot my 50BMG some time.

That's funny. The only person to ever complain about my Socom II was next to me teaching someone to shoot a new 50BMG.

Being to the side of a short barrel is much worse than being behind it. Double up on ears if you are bothered.

rogervzv
09-21-2012, 4:09 PM

+1. I have never complained about anyone's loud gun at the range and I never will, but you are right.

Ryan in SD
09-21-2012, 4:17 PM
Tell em to double up on the ear tampons.

Vacaville
09-21-2012, 4:36 PM
I used to shoot my M44 at an indoor range. THAT was loud.