PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Hand Guard Heats Up

glock1973
09-19-2012, 6:08 PM
I have a Saiga 7.62x39 IZ132. It's in a sporting configuration, and will more likely keep it that way. I noticed my stock hand guard heats up after a few mags. Does anyone know if I can change that hand guard to like a Tapco Intrafuse hand guard, without triggering 922r compliance. And if it will trigger 922r compliance, what else can I do to resolve the hand guard heating up. Can I put some kind of shield in there. Anyone else have this issue. Appreciate any help. Thanks..

Dhena81
09-19-2012, 6:26 PM
Wear Gloves

Chameleon Loco
09-19-2012, 6:32 PM
As long as the tapco grip is exactly like the orginal one it is fine. But if it is like a vfg you will need a bullet button on it. Also the tapco part if it is US made will count as one us 922r part. I dont really notice it one mine but I only run 100-200 rounds threw mine during a range trip. Try shooting your saiga for a few magazines and then shoot another firearm by the time you come back to it the handguard will be cool.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-19-2012, 6:36 PM
You can buy a arsenal hand guard. It has a built in heat shield or just swap to a wooden handguard

Revolver Ocelot
09-19-2012, 6:49 PM
Heard of guys putting strips of aluminum in there.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-19-2012, 6:50 PM
Yeah, you can try the aluminum foil trick for now. I guess that's better than nothing

Bobby Ricigliano
09-19-2012, 6:53 PM
I shot my unconverted Saiga in rapid fire sequences on a hot day in the desert.. didn't notice any unusual heat.

MrPlink
09-19-2012, 7:24 PM
Plus one for gloves

Merc1138
09-19-2012, 7:46 PM
Wear gloves, get used to it, or shoot slower. Guns get warm.

0351USMC
09-19-2012, 7:50 PM
drill out vent holes in HG to dissipate heat

glock1973
09-20-2012, 7:24 AM
As long as the tapco grip is exactly like the orginal one it is fine. But if it is like a vfg you will need a bullet button on it. Also the tapco part if it is US made will count as one us 922r part. I dont really notice it one mine but I only run 100-200 rounds threw mine during a range trip. Try shooting your saiga for a few magazines and then shoot another firearm by the time you come back to it the handguard will be cool.

I found this on the Tapco site:

"When considering compliance the big thing to keep in mind is the magic number 10! The infinite wisdom of the federal government has decided that it is unlawful for your semi-auto rifle or shotgun to have more than 10 imported parts from their select list of 20 parts. Many describe this in terms of U.S. parts count, but in reality this should be the foreign parts count. Now this is where the debate occurs."

Does this mean I can change up to 10 parts and no more than 10 parts on my Saiga rifle to not worry about 922 compliance. Well, all I'm trying to do is change the hand guards...that's it! Nothing else. I should be OK right? It will be that Tapco hand guard. I shouldn't need a bullet button...less than 10 parts; right?

CSACANNONEER
09-20-2012, 7:29 AM
Oh no! The hand GUARD is actually WORKING and gaurding your hand from the heat of the barrel. What should you do about it?

CSACANNONEER
09-20-2012, 7:32 AM
I found this on the Tapco site:

"When considering compliance the big thing to keep in mind is the magic number 10! The infinite wisdom of the federal government has decided that it is unlawful for your semi-auto rifle or shotgun to have more than 10 imported parts from their select list of 20 parts. Many describe this in terms of U.S. parts count, but in reality this should be the foreign parts count. Now this is where the debate occurs."

Does this mean I can change up to 10 parts and no more than 10 parts on my Saiga rifle to not worry about 922 compliance. Well, all I'm trying to do is change the hand guards...that's it! Nothing else. I should be OK right? It will be that Tapco hand guard. I shouldn't need a bullet button...less than 10 parts; right?

???? If you don't have any evil features, you do not need a mag lock. 922(r) has NOTHING to do with CA AW laws. You just need to read 922(r) yourself and remember that IF you add features which would make the gun unimportable, you need to make sure that it has 10 or less imported parts (there is a list of exactly which parts count) on it. It's a lot simpler than most people make it out to be.

glock1973
09-20-2012, 9:37 AM
???? If you don't have any evil features, you do not need a mag lock. 922(r) has NOTHING to do with CA AW laws. You just need to read 922(r) yourself and remember that IF you add features which would make the gun unimportable, you need to make sure that it has 10 or less imported parts (there is a list of exactly which parts count) on it. It's a lot simpler than most people make it out to be.

Pretty simple...

This is what my rifle currently looks like: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1096&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=762

All I want to do is just change the handguards, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-Saiga-Guard-Black/dp/B002D7UEOA/ref=sr_1_24?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1348162505&sr=1-24

If I do this would I be breaking any law?

Chameleon Loco
09-20-2012, 1:59 PM
You would only need a bullet button if you added any "evil" features like a vertical fore grip seen on many ar-15s, a flash hider, or a telescoping stock, etc. Be sure to use only magazines that hold 10 or less rounds as your firearm is not 922r compliant yet.

bloodhawke83
09-20-2012, 2:20 PM
Mine heats up fast when I put the tapco covers on all 4 rails. If i just put it on the bottom rail, I don't have the problem. :shrug:

frankm
09-20-2012, 3:35 PM
I had an Intrafuse on my Saiga, it was a lot cooler. The stock handguard sucks.

CSACANNONEER
09-20-2012, 3:46 PM
Pretty simple...

This is what my rifle currently looks like: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1096&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=762

All I want to do is just change the handguards, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-Saiga-Guard-Black/dp/B002D7UEOA/ref=sr_1_24?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1348162505&sr=1-24

If I do this would I be breaking any law?

Just using that handguard would be fine. Putting a FPG on it would not be.

glock1973
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
You would only need a bullet button if you added any "evil" features like a vertical fore grip seen on many ar-15s, a flash hider, or a telescoping stock, etc. Be sure to use only magazines that hold 10 or less rounds as your firearm is not 922r compliant yet.

Say if I decided to go with the evil features - pistol grip, etc. Doing the 922 compliance would require me to add a bullet button, which means I can't use any high capacity mags right?

CSACANNONEER
09-21-2012, 4:04 AM
Say if I decided to go with the evil features - pistol grip, etc. Doing the 922 compliance would require me to add a bullet button, which means I can't use any high capacity mags right?

922 has nothing to do with CA AW laws. If you add unimportable features, you need to comply with 922(r). If you add CA evil features, you need to comply woth CA AW laws and add a mag lock. While there is a lot of overlap. These are different laws.

chead
09-21-2012, 6:57 AM
This is what the Hungarians used:

http://ak-builder.com/images/detailed/1/amd65_handguard.jpg

It's stamped steel. In other words: Harden up ;)

90runner
09-21-2012, 8:33 AM
I noticed the stock hand guard getting very hot as well. Even after only shooting 10 rounds or so. I shoot pretty slow because ammo aint free ya know. I ran it with a tapco for a while and it was a little cooler but it was ugly. I put the stock one back on.

After i did all that i just converted it and the stock ak front grip in plastic works awesome. Plus it looks way better than the tapco or saiga front ends.

Recks86
09-21-2012, 1:42 PM
it happens.

Ryan in SD
09-21-2012, 3:36 PM
Wear PANTS

Fixed ;)

gwgn02
09-21-2012, 5:56 PM
http://downtownlaprinter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/george-castanza-hand-model.png

Bigtwin
09-21-2012, 6:00 PM
I run my stock handguard slightly modified(for looks) With out any issues on my restored Saiga. I have never had problems with excessive heat! Even in the as imported configuration not one issue with heat. What is the complaint?

Guns get hot with shooting. Unless you are shooting full auto....I do not get what you are having trouble with!

chead
09-21-2012, 6:53 PM
I do want to point out though that a typical 5.45 '74 style AK will get hotter faster in my experience.

FullAuto
09-21-2012, 9:33 PM
http://downtownlaprinter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/george-castanza-hand-model.png

lol

FullAuto
09-21-2012, 9:34 PM
Only problem I have had with my Saigas are after rapid firing at the end of a session waiting for the barrels to cool down enough to put them in their cases to leave. :( But then again hot desert/black gun doesn't really make it easy for them to cool down ;)

Dhena81
09-21-2012, 9:36 PM
Maybe this is OP

89JEeeVF6rQ

glock1973
09-23-2012, 8:16 PM
I run my stock handguard slightly modified(for looks) With out any issues on my restored Saiga. I have never had problems with excessive heat! Even in the as imported configuration not one issue with heat. What is the complaint?

Guns get hot with shooting. Unless you are shooting full auto....I do not get what you are having trouble with!

Then don't worry about. I'm not asking you.

glock1973
09-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Only problem I have had with my Saigas are after rapid firing at the end of a session waiting for the barrels to cool down enough to put them in their cases to leave. :( But then again hot desert/black gun doesn't really make it easy for them to cool down ;)

Well it definitely happens after rapid fire. But even during regular shooting 2-4 sec pauses noticed it heating up. I've already changed the hand guard to Tapco one. Hopefully it will be better. We'll see. Thanks everyone.

ElvenSoul
09-23-2012, 8:27 PM
The foil trick and paint the inside of hand guard with ceramic exhaust manifold paint

It helps a little.

glock1973
09-29-2012, 4:11 AM
Well it definitely happens after rapid fire. But even during regular shooting 2-4 sec pauses noticed it heating up. I've already changed the hand guard to Tapco one. Hopefully it will be better. We'll see. Thanks everyone.

Tried the Tapco hand guard at the range yesterday morning. New hand guards didn't heat up at all; even with rapid fire...cool as ICE ;). Pretty cool....happy with the purchase: :)

Thanks for all your feedback.

negolien
09-29-2012, 7:19 AM
Sorry but just saw an expose on the Russians and their arms sales to Syria and I' am not funding them. They straight flaunt the sales and give us the finger so screw them.:nono:

Speedpower
09-29-2012, 7:30 AM
You can buy a arsenal hand guard. It has a built in heat shield or just swap to a wooden handguard

Wooden hand guards heats up as well!