PDA

View Full Version : Decision time!

Socalmedix
09-19-2012, 2:05 PM
So you have some cash to drop on a 5.56 rifle. What route do you take?
1. SCAR 16S FDE
Or
2. LMT QCB MRP 16"

Eventually I would like a ACOG to mount on it as well... And some pmags and a nice case and nice sling....

Ah decisions decisions...

jingerale
09-19-2012, 2:09 PM
SCAR

gotshotgun?
09-19-2012, 2:09 PM
Get the scar. It's an entirely different system not just a modified ar upper. Both look great but the scar looks to shoot well, may be lighter an will hold its value better.

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 2:15 PM
Scar

NorCalXJ
09-19-2012, 2:22 PM
SCAR is the winner here

connorr931
09-19-2012, 2:39 PM
I would say it totally depends on what you have in your arsenal already. If you already have an AR I would go for the SCAR. The AR is a proven system but everything and their grandmother has one. The SCAR is something new and fresh. Plus I hear only good things from those that have them. It will most likely be my next gun.

Socalmedix
09-19-2012, 2:58 PM
Wow lots of love for the Scar... I don't have an AR yet. But I'd love to have either of these. I'm gonna pressure for the scar... Thanks guys

readysetgo
09-19-2012, 3:06 PM
Neither! :43: Donate something here: Assaulted Documentary thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=616680)

MrPlink
09-19-2012, 3:21 PM
Scar 17, ftw!

But if you must go 5.56, then Scar16 :D

jpm804
09-19-2012, 3:27 PM
Scar 17, ftw!

But if you must go 5.56, then Scar16 :D

^^ this ;)

I have a scar 16 and love it, but then it makes you want to get a 17. Just cut out the middle man and go straight to the 17 ..hahaha

Also if you don't have a AR yet, maybe look into a LaRue...still think they are priced well for their predtar line.

Cadre
09-19-2012, 4:17 PM
another one for scar

MrPlink
09-19-2012, 4:35 PM
Btw, despite wearing my love the scar on my sleeve, nothin wrong with LMT at all. Good choice either way.

Diabolus
09-19-2012, 4:37 PM
SCAR (featureless!)

chozenfew805
09-19-2012, 6:10 PM
With no hesitation and or regret whatsoever, SCAR hands down!:43:

Go Navy
09-19-2012, 6:16 PM
SCAR 16S. Got one!

devilchien0105
09-19-2012, 6:30 PM
For God's sake....choose the SCAR!!!!!!

Stockton
09-19-2012, 7:28 PM
SCAR

Jpach
09-19-2012, 7:54 PM
LMT. Or get an LMT 308. :)

HKDoc
09-19-2012, 8:12 PM
Scar, unless you don't like reciprocating charging handles....

Socalmedix
09-19-2012, 8:46 PM
Thx for all the love guys... :) just persuades me even more towards the sexiest rifle of all time!

FIREBALL_BRIAN
09-19-2012, 9:29 PM
Scarrrr!

ar15barrels
09-19-2012, 9:52 PM
I would say it totally depends on what you have in your arsenal already.
If you already have an AR I would go for the SCAR.

I don't have an AR yet.

The answer here is so obvious, yet everyone misses it.

The scar is something you buy after you have a nice AR not before an AR...

pc_load_letter
09-19-2012, 10:28 PM

What is the rationale for that statement? I now own a SCAR after owning first a Sabre then a LWRCI.

In hindsight, I wish I would have owned the SCAR first because then I would not have wasted time with the AR platform. (not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with ARs)

The SCAR is just an amazing platform, there is little out there better than the SCAR in 5.56 (my opinion obviously) although I hope to get the new LWRCI Individual Carbine one day soon.

Kerplow
09-19-2012, 11:01 PM
What is the rationale for that statement? I now own a SCAR after owning first a Sabre then a LWRCI.

In hindsight, I wish I would have owned the SCAR first because then I would not have wasted time with the AR platform. (not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with ARs)

The SCAR is just an amazing platform, there is little out there better than the SCAR in 5.56 (my opinion obviously) although I hope to get the new LWRCI Individual Carbine one day soon.

what does the scar do that an AR doesn't?

Diabolus
09-20-2012, 4:08 PM

His entire business model is around the AR15 :D

odysseus
09-20-2012, 4:14 PM
I will join in and agree with this. I think the AR is certainly the first choice to get into in this genre. A great base to discover more about yourself and these platforms, with so much to choose to do and less money at it. If I didn't have an AR, that would be the first thing I would be getting before a SCAR.

Kerplow
09-20-2012, 4:39 PM
I will join in and agree with this. I think the AR is certainly the first choice to get into in this genre. A great base to discover more about yourself and these platforms, with so much to choose to do and less money at it. If I didn't have an AR, that would be the first thing I would be getting before a SCAR.

Now, I don't know much about anything, but I would venture to guess that the AR is a far more versatile platform than the scar, and can likely do anything the scar can do and more. Can a scar go from pistol to CQ rifle to standard military carbine to heavy barreled varmint rifle to competition/benchrest gun (and probably some others I forgot to list)?

If I'm wrong, please refer to the opening statement of this post. :D

MrPlink
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
The money for all those uppers (good ones anyways) plus appropriate optics would far exceed the cost of a scar.

Being that op mentioned he wanted an acog too, I think it is safe to rule out he also wanted the rifle to be a bench gun as well as a pistol. Of course AR fanatics being what they are Im sure there are some that think an Acog makes sense for a bench gun and a pistol...

Kerplow
09-20-2012, 10:31 PM
The money for all those uppers (good ones anyways) plus appropriate optics would far exceed the cost of a scar.

Being that op mentioned he wanted an acog too, I think it is safe to rule out he also wanted the rifle to be a bench gun as well as a pistol. Of course AR fanatics being what they are Im sure there are some that think an Acog makes sense for a bench gun and a pistol...

Of course it would, I'm just trying to understand what the allure of the scar is. They seem like a lot of money to fill a niche that the AR fills just fine.

d4v0s
09-20-2012, 10:40 PM
So you have some cash to drop on a 5.56 rifle. What route do you take?
1. SCAR 16S FDE
Or
2. LMT QCB MRP 16"

Eventually I would like a ACOG to mount on it as well... And some pmags and a nice case and nice sling....

Ah decisions decisions...

I believe LMT has a model with quick change barrels, then your just a barrel and a bolt away from also having a really awesome 6.8 carbine.

Something to think about, The scar gets no love from me, single ugliest rifle I have ever seen, Remingtons ACR looked better but suffered the same fate, it doesnt do anything better than an AR and for only double the cost!!