PDA

View Full Version : SWORD International ,, EDH AR manufacturer.

zonzin
09-19-2012, 1:15 PM
Has anyone had the oportunity to run one of the Mk-15 Patrolman Carbine's? I was looking at one at STS in Folsom and the fit and finish looked awesome to my totaly un-trained eye. It Seemed very well balanced and the attention to detail kooked first rate, again, to my un-trained eye. Like the 6.8 option for hunting.
Would love to hear how they shoot. Really am considering getting one but the north of 1700$ price tag give me pause for research first. Really want to support the local guys, STS and SWORD in EDH.

http://firearms-manufacturing.com/weapon-systems/home-layout-1/weapon-platforms/mk-15-patrolman-carbine/

PolishMike
09-19-2012, 1:20 PM
There are a ton of solid AR's out there.. why get something as funky as this? You cant even cheek weld the irons..

Merc1138
09-19-2012, 1:30 PM
What's with the riser for the top rail? There's no reason at all to raise the irons like that(and causes cheek weld issues), and no real reason to raise the rail for optics(eliminates a lot of possibilities for mounts that are already tall enough for a standard AR, and because the stupid riser runs all the way forward you end up limiting the objective lens diameter for a scope).

It looks like a $1700 AR with a crappy handguard/riser built in, why pay for that? It's not even a piston gun that might need the extra room under the handguard(you can see the DI gas tube through the handguard in the image).

starsnuffer
09-19-2012, 1:58 PM
There are a lot of iron's and optic mounting options for HK/CSAV height rails, which is what this seems to be mimicing. I'm not saying it's a good choice, because I know nothing about sword, just that there are well-tested options out there.

-W

Merc1138
09-19-2012, 2:21 PM
And there are still less options for those. Even ignoring the pointless rail height, what about the weight? It's just something bolted there that serves no purpose other than to limit mounting options for irons and optics.

It doesn't matter where they're located, why buy a crappy product? If they didn't bother with the riser, you'd at least have the option of adding a riser if you really wanted to for some reason.

HK Dave
09-19-2012, 2:32 PM
Little late to the game with nothing innovative. :(

Bhobbs
09-19-2012, 3:21 PM
What's with the riser for the top rail? There's no reason at all to raise the irons like that(and causes cheek weld issues), and no real reason to raise the rail for optics(eliminates a lot of possibilities for mounts that are already tall enough for a standard AR, and because the stupid riser runs all the way forward you end up limiting the objective lens diameter for a scope).

It looks like a $1700 AR with a crappy handguard/riser built in, why pay for that? It's not even a piston gun that might need the extra room under the handguard(you can see the DI gas tube through the handguard in the image).

From what it looks like, their hand guard does not use the barrel nut. It hangs off that riser.

Gregchico
09-19-2012, 3:29 PM
I have not handled one of their complete rifles, but I have handled many of the upper components and can say they do very, very nice high end machine work.

Last I heard (it has been a while) there was a wait to get one of their rifles so I'm happy to hear that they are making it out into the public.

tomd1584
09-19-2012, 6:50 PM
$1700 will buy you a BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, or Colt and then you can add a VLTOR CASV handguard if you like that look so much (not sure why though).

zonzin
09-20-2012, 7:37 AM
Great feeback with specifics. That is what I was after. So my guess is the consensus would be that at this price point I would be better to consider https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v3-6-8-spcii-16-s2wr-barrel.html

PolishMike
09-20-2012, 7:51 AM
Great feeback with specifics. That is what I was after. So my guess is the consensus would be that at this price point I would be better to consider https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v3-6-8-spcii-16-s2wr-barrel.html

Yes. That is one of the best you can get. Awesome rail, great barrel, top notch BCG. You can even use sights with it! :) 1

deviljon
09-20-2012, 8:36 AM
Little late to the game with nothing innovative. :(

My thoughts exactly.

OP, if you want to go with Daniel Defense, they have a build your own rifle or upper feature on their site. Pretty neat:

https://danieldefense.com/build-your-ddm4

HK Dave
09-20-2012, 8:38 AM
Wow that build your own site is awesome.

Hoop
09-20-2012, 8:42 AM
I dont see why you couldnt assemble your own with a good barrel and components for 1200 or so those prices seem steep.

zonzin
09-20-2012, 9:32 AM
I dont see why you couldnt assemble your own with a good barrel and components for 1200 or so those prices seem steep.

I'm not sure I want to go through the churn of figuring out what each part should be, do the research on it, order it, assemble it,,,. Time is in short supply these days. I think I am looking to just get one "off the shelf" that is high quality as if I did the work to build it myself.

Merc1138
09-20-2012, 9:39 AM
I'm not sure I want to go through the churn of figuring out what each part should be, do the research on it, order it, assemble it,,,. Time is in short supply these days. I think I am looking to just get one "off the shelf" that is high quality as if I did the work to build it myself.

And you'd be better off buying from a company no one seems to know anything about, other than their rifles being overpriced?

uxo2
09-20-2012, 9:47 AM
For that price.
Daniels defended.
Bravo company.
Sig.
HK.
Colt

Arkangel
09-20-2012, 10:22 AM
For that price.
Daniels defended.
Bravo company.
Sig.
HK.
Colt

HK MR556 for $1700? Where? Please provide a link. One LGS sells them for over $2700.

zonzin
09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
And you'd be better off buying from a company no one seems to know anything about, other than their rifles being overpriced?

No ,, actually at this point in the thread I am leaning towards the Daniel Defense 6.8.

bomb_on_bus
09-20-2012, 7:04 PM
they should have thought if something a bit more catchy like s.h.i.e.l.d. when choosing a name from what seems to be picked from comic books.

mike22ca
09-20-2012, 9:20 PM
The one time I went to sts I took a look at one for ****s n' giggles and I wasn't impressed at all. However the guy I was talking to behind the counter had a huge boner for them

kenbethc
10-06-2012, 8:17 PM
For all of you out there giving SWORD Int. a grad time I will give you insight as an owner of a MK 18. The guns are impeccably made. The "riser" as most of you are calling it is a full length rail that is where the hand guard is mounted. It's allows them to free float the barrel for better accuracy. The build quality are right up there with the Larue or Noveski so you are getting a great deal for the $1700 price point. (Try getting a Larue for that). The upper and lower receivers are machined from the same billet and are matched during the initial machining process. The trigger being used is a CMC trigger as well. I have out my MK 18 up agains my buddy's Daniel defense and it does more than hold its ground. I don't know the exact specs on the MK 15 but my MK 18 will do 3/4 MOA at 300yds. No dig on Daniel Defense, Larue, or Noveski but these SWORad rifles are legit. They are trying to break into the market at this point so their prices are a lot lower than most. Why might work better for you is the "slick" model they just released. It is the same price point but is built more to the standard ar15 aesthetic. Same incredible build quality. You should shoot one before you chose though.

Merc1138
10-06-2012, 8:45 PM
For all of you out there giving SWORD Int. a grad time I will give you insight as an owner of a MK 18. The guns are impeccably made. The "riser" as most of you are calling it is a full length rail that is where the hand guard is mounted. It's allows them to free float the barrel for better accuracy. The build quality are right up there with the Larue or Noveski so you are getting a great deal for the $1700 price point. (Try getting a Larue for that). The upper and lower receivers are machined from the same billet and are matched during the initial machining process. The trigger being used is a CMC trigger as well. I have out my MK 18 up agains my buddy's Daniel defense and it does more than hold its ground. I don't know the exact specs on the MK 15 but my MK 18 will do 3/4 MOA at 300yds. No dig on Daniel Defense, Larue, or Noveski but these SWORad rifles are legit. They are trying to break into the market at this point so their prices are a lot lower than most. Why might work better for you is the "slick" model they just released. It is the same price point but is built more to the standard ar15 aesthetic. Same incredible build quality. You should shoot one before you chose though.

Dude, you don't need a riser(and it IS a riser) to free float an AR-15 barrel. You don't need a riser to have a full length rail on top.

http://firearms-manufacturing.com/weapon-systems/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/393.jpg

You see how it clearly raises the sights because it's bolted onto the original top rail? That's a riser.

BTW, their price point isn't lower than most. If anything it's higher than most. Are you shilling for them while drunk or something?

PolishMike
10-08-2012, 9:41 AM

Lots of fail in your post.

As pointed out, the companies you mentioned figured out how to make a free floating barrel without raising the rail that much 10 years ago. SWORD went the cheap route. This immediately makes me question any other design and parts choices they made.

The funny thing is you CAN buy a Larue for that price.

kenbethc
10-11-2012, 8:23 AM
Has anyone on this forum actually shot one of these rifles? The "riser" does raise the sight profile. In that you are correct. I also did some further research and found one Larue that was at the same price point. I apologize for my error on that. SWORD does make other AR's with a low profile. They are not on their website yet but are in stores. That is why I recommended the "slick" variant to the person who started the post. The slick has no riser and stays within the aesthetic of the traditional AR while still free floating the barrel. As far as critiques on the weapons platform, you can critique them all you want but, until you've shot one, you shouldn't. That's like saying a Ferrari sucks because the body lines aren't to your liking because it doesn't look like a Porsche.. There are new, and old, variations of weapons platforms that come to market on a regular basis and you can critique them all you want, but until you take them out and test the accuracy, functionality and ergonomics of the weapon the point still remains hat you haven't shot it.

HK Dave
10-11-2012, 8:26 AM
#1 Use paragraphs... it strains us to read what you write ken.

#2 Out of curiosity, do you know what 3/4 moa at 300 yards is in inches?

eclectic
10-11-2012, 9:01 AM
My goodness, that is one chubby, ugly gun.

I wouldn't get it, personally, as there are tons of options out there for your pricepoint. As mentioned, Daniel Defense, LMT, LaRue... All viable options. $1700 will buy a LOT of gun... I mean, even a Noveske upper on a non-Noveske lower will run you about $1700. And I'd take that over one of these things. This is like paying $1700 for a fat hooker, and saying you're getting "more hooker for your money" than the 110 lb model.