PDA

View Full Version : Need Trade Advice (AK74)

CarlozRossi
09-19-2012, 11:56 AM
So I'm trying to get rid of my old car. (Daewoo) Its worth $2,400 according to kbb but I am only looking for $1,000. So anyway, my wife's friend's husband offered me a trade. His ak-74. He says its either a Saiga or Tantal. He isnt sure. Comes with 5-10 rd mags. 1-45 Rd mag rebuild kit and a Tru Glo red/green dot sight instead of the scope in the pic provided. He also says it has an upgraded trigger so I can "send rounds down range faster and double tap faster". Also says he changed out the barrel "so it won't overheat". He's also including 300 rds of ammo with the rifle.

I don't really know anything about AK's so I thought i'd ask you guys if this whole setup is worth at least $1,000. I'll end up selling it for the $ unless i shoot it and somehow fall in love with it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/14ubas6.jpg

gotshotgun?
09-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Not worth $1000, maybe $700-$800. Also, the barrel remark would have me questioning things.

luchador768
09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
It looks like a Tantal, they run about $500 used. The scope, "new barrel", and jazzy trigger really add nothing to the deal. Ate u out of state? Cause that looks like a regular mag release and a forty round mag.

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
It looks like a Tantal, they run about $500 used. The scope, "new barrel", and jazzy trigger really add nothing to the deal. Ate u out of state? Cause that looks like a regular mag release and a forty round mag.

I see a bullet button on there. Looks like Solar Tactical or similar

luchador768
09-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm on my phone so it's kinda hard to see, thank you though. It would suck to get in trouble with a trade like that.

ENTHUSIAST
09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Solar Tac mag lock is clearly seen in the pic above.

CarlozRossi if it is a Saiga conversion or a Century Tantal either way ~$700 as seen above.

Who did he say did the barrel change himself or...???

CarlozRossi
09-19-2012, 1:15 PM
Not worth $1000, maybe $700-$800. Also, the barrel remark would have me questioning things.
Yeah, like i said i have no idea about ak's and rifles in general. So i didnt really know what he meant about the new barrel and overheating.

Thanks for the inpuit, I was thinking all those mods would have driven up the price the way he put it an Im here in CA. and he informed me that the 45 rd. mag in the pic was blocked to 10rds.

Solar Tac mag lock is clearly seen in the pic above.

CarlozRossi if it is a Saiga conversion or a Century Tantal either way ~$700 as seen above.

Who did he say did the barrel change himself or...???

He didnt say but im going to find out more when he gets out of work today...

NorCalXJ
09-19-2012, 1:22 PM
I'd say only 600$ tops

zfields
09-19-2012, 1:45 PM
Lots of cheap looking parts on that AK. Tapco, UTG, Ncstar.

He's also feeding you a line on the barrel swap and trigger work I bet.

chead
09-19-2012, 1:58 PM
Lots of cheap looking parts on that AK. Tapco, UTG, Ncstar.

He's also feeding you a line on the barrel swap and trigger work I bet.

It's a Tantal.

Seriously. There's only so much you can do to an AK trigger, and I'm betting he didn't do it. Also, I don't think a heavy '74 barrel even exists except as part of an RPK and I can tell you that he didn't get the work done to fit an RPK barrel to his Tantal, then have it re-profiled to use the Tantal brake.

zfields
09-19-2012, 2:00 PM
It's a Tantal.

Seriously. There's only so much you can do to an AK trigger, and I'm betting he didn't do it. Also, I don't think a heavy '74 barrel even exists except as part of an RPK and I can tell you that he didn't get the work done to fit an RPK barrel to his Tantal, then have it re-profiled to use the Tantal brake.

I'm not doubting its a tantal, all im saying is the stuff that the guy put on it is basically junk.

Kerplow
09-19-2012, 2:01 PM
Might be worth $1k, here's one that's worth $2k. :rofl:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/3235881309.html

zfields
09-19-2012, 2:03 PM

Nice. Illegally configured on top of a retarded price!

surplus-addict
09-19-2012, 2:03 PM
It's a Tantal.

Correct. If someone has the money to re-profile an RPK barrel, and re-thread it to take the muzzle break, they won't put Tap-crap on the rifle, and that NC-Star junk. I'd say that the rifle is.... $650, tops.

Also, if this was just a run-of-the-mill Tantal, and he installed a Tapco G2 trigger (the ONLY good thing they make), then wouldn't he be in violation of 922r? The rest of the parts would be foreign, but the G2 would be American. Although, with the stock set, mags, and FCG, it should be okay even if it WAS a Tantal.

zfields
09-19-2012, 2:05 PM
Correct. If someone has the money to re-profile an RPK barrel, and re-thread it to take the muzzle break, they won't put Tap-crap on the rifle, and that NC-Star junk. I'd say that the rifle is.... $650, tops.

Also, if this was just a run-of-the-mill Tantal, and he installed a Tapco G2 trigger (the ONLY good thing they make), then wouldn't he be in violation of 922r? The rest of the parts would be foreign, but the G2 would be American. Although, with the stock set, mags, and FCG, it should be okay even if it WAS a Tantal.

To be sold initially, tantals need to meet 922r, so it most likely had a g2 to start with.

surplus-addict
09-19-2012, 2:13 PM
To be sold initially, tantals need to meet 922r, so it most likely had a g2 to start with.

Unless they are like the WASR's: Made in Romania, and sold as is from the factory. They are made for the express purpose of export, and as such (as much as I understand at least) are legal to import in non-sporting configuration.

Or am I completely full of bovine excrement and don't even know it?

zfields
09-19-2012, 2:16 PM
Unless they are like the WASR's: Made in Romania, and sold as is from the factory. They are made for the express purpose of export, and as such (as much as I understand at least) are legal to import in non-sporting configuration.

Or am I completely full of bovine excrement and don't even know it?

You are referring to the single stack models.

You need to read up on sporting rifles and the requirements for them.

janus408
09-19-2012, 2:36 PM
Nice. Illegally configured on top of a retarded price!

But it's got a "picony rail upper" so it's all good. Anyone that says an AK has an upper, let alone a 'picony' one should have the gun taken away from them. Legal or not.

Ryan in SD
09-19-2012, 3:23 PM
It probably cost him 1K to make, but it isnt worth 1K.

As mentioned before, lots of junk on there.

The scope mount like that are notorious for not holding zero

Low end rail

Low end stock

Low end red dot

assumed low end light

His barrel comment makes no sense.

Unless this is the exact type of 74 you wanted to build. It is not worth near 1K

CK_32
09-19-2012, 3:43 PM
Lmao OP this has Craigslist scam written all over it...

Sell your car get the $1000 and build your AK with $$ to spare for ammo and what have you.

CK_32
09-19-2012, 3:54 PM

LMAO thats actually his brother in laws gun/post :rofl2:

Or what do you have worth more yhan $$2000$$$...wont trade down

Guy sells like he's on CGN.

:hide:

luchador768
09-19-2012, 3:56 PM
There was a batch of tantals from Century that had 5.56 barrels, with 5.45 chambers IIRC, that has been resolved. My Century hasn't keyholed in over 3k rounds.

CarlozRossi
09-19-2012, 4:20 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'm not looking to build an AK anytime soon and I'm definitely going to pass on this. I guess he thought i would bite and take it but didnt know I had calguns on my side hahaha.

Dhena81
09-19-2012, 4:42 PM
:puke:

http://i45.tinypic.com/14ubas6.jpg

FiveSeven
09-19-2012, 4:55 PM
This pic shows exactly what not to do when upgrading an AK.

Revolver Ocelot
09-19-2012, 6:55 PM
Just get the 1k. That rifle is garbage.

MrPlink
09-19-2012, 6:58 PM
Doesent look too far off from some of the AKs here.

JamesY
09-19-2012, 9:29 PM
I bet it's a Century Tantal that used to keyhole. He probably spent money to get the barrel replaced. Good to hear you're passing up this trade.

CK_32
09-19-2012, 9:31 PM
Doesent look too far off from some of the AKs here.

:iagree:

I love the wood classic AK style and some guys just ruin it.. But I gatta admit some guys do make a mean looking black AK.