View Full Version : Ak firing pin or headspacing issue

09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a Lancaster ak with about 4-5k rounds through it. I was out last weekend and shooting it and "click" no boom. I check the mag still have rounds. I rack pull the trigger click again. I check both rounds and primer has a lite strike. Tried a third shot same thing. So I disassemble the bolt and find a round metal shaving binding the pin. At the time I wasn't sure what it was from but saw nothing wrong with the pin or the bolt. Reassembled and after a few rounds "click". Took it apart again and same thing. This happened a third time and then I was able to make it through an entire mag.

After some research it sounds like the metal shaving was probably part of the primer. Is it common to have headspacing issues after so many rounds or is this a firing pin or ammo issue (I mostly shoot wolf or brown bear, some yugo). Anyone in SoCal know how to check headspacing or can recommend a good gunsmith. I don't want to shoot it until I get it checked out.

09-19-2012, 7:31 PM
So-Cal is a pretty big area. you might want to be a bit more specific.

If you're in the LA area I can help you out. Might be a problem with the firing pin, or possibly the bolt. Doesn't sound like a headspace issue, but it never hurts to check.

09-19-2012, 7:43 PM
I live in norco. So riverside county, San Bernardino county, OC or LA. Not worried about driving a bit to get my weapon safe.

09-19-2012, 8:34 PM
It is very unlikely that it is a headspace issue unless somehow your chamber walked or your bolt group somehow streatched. In other words, it is extremely unlikely you suddenly developed a headspace issue on a rifle that functioned fine for the last several K rounds.

I would try to locate the spent casing right before you had weak primer strikes and see what the primer looks like. You may have had a poor batch of ammo blowing primers and/or case debris back into your firing pin and bolt. If so you may have damaged your firing pin.

09-19-2012, 8:48 PM
Bring it out to my shop tomorrow night at 6pm and tujungatoes will be there.

I'm betting that there is just some random metal stuck in the firing pin channel.
Did the gun blow a primer recently?

Strip the bolt down and clean everything out...

09-20-2012, 10:14 AM
probably an isolated ammo lot issue