PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA with an AR-15

cgarner
09-19-2012, 9:02 AM
Hi all,

I'm new here but I've been doing quiet a bit of research on these forums and the the CA DOJ website to try and determine what I need to do to my AR-15 to make it legal in CA. A coworker said to just install a bullet button and I would be fine. After perusing the DOJ website and the flowchart on this forum it appears that my AR-15 is not legal in CA even with a bullet button. I have a DPMS Panther Oracle. According to the flowchart all DPMS Panther AR-15's are illegal in CA even with a bullet button. Am I interpreting the law correctly?

Thanks for any advice.

bigdawg86
09-19-2012, 9:19 AM
Yes... if it's been named your SOL. I have a DPMS lower, but since it's not marked "Panther" it's ok. Sucks huh? Just slap an OLL, bullet button, and 10 round mag and your golden.

jonc
09-19-2012, 9:21 AM
DONT DO IT!!!

lol

glockman19
09-19-2012, 9:21 AM
No sounds like you have it correct. I'd buy a complete lower and fix a 10 round magazine for your upper...you'll be OK. Leave the other lower in a free state or just trade it with someone who has a clean lower you like.

This is why I have 2 AR's in different configurations. One has a Fixed 10 round magazine and all the evil features....the other is a classic look fixed stock, monsterman grip, completely featureless allows me to use my pre-ban 30 round magazines...Unfortunately, the law also will not allow you to Import your currently owned high capacity magazines.

Oh...Welcome to California and Cal Guns..

cgarner
09-19-2012, 9:24 AM
Thanks guys.

cgarner
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Just curious, What makes a lower legal vs. illegal?

Mongoblack23
09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
simply the name. there is no physical difference.

CK_32
09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
No go. Kill the lower and buy a new one and a BB and cap your mags to 10 rounds or take them appart as "rebuild kits" and either sell them off or use them when out of state

LMTluvr
09-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Everything one needs to know to stay legal:D

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

stix213
09-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Just what is printed on it.....

Don't hurt your brain too much trying to find the logic in that.

Swap out your lower, install a bullet button, pick up some 10 round mags, and don't forget more ammo :D

Make sure when you get here you help us vote these idiots out

deephouse
09-19-2012, 1:21 PM
Everything one needs to know to stay legal:D

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Newbie here, this flowchart is awesome. thank you!

Flogger23m
09-19-2012, 4:15 PM
Swap the lower receiver and buy a BB and then bring it in state. Or sell it and get some other AR. Prices should be cheaper out of state so buy what you can there.

Cadre
09-19-2012, 4:27 PM
DONT DO IT!!!

lol

funny.

Norcalkid
09-19-2012, 5:59 PM
Just go out and get a off list lower for a hundred bucks. Switch over all parts and install a BB and 10 round mag.

mls4444
09-20-2012, 2:02 PM
I too just moved to CA. Question- do you need to register an AR15 with the state? If it's CA legal (based on the flowchart) is there anything else that needs to be done?

Chaos47
09-20-2012, 2:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here but I've been doing quiet a bit of research on these forums and the the CA DOJ website to try and determine what I need to do to my AR-15 to make it legal in CA. A coworker said to just install a bullet button and I would be fine. After perusing the DOJ website and the flowchart on this forum it appears that my AR-15 is not legal in CA even with a bullet button. I have a DPMS Panther Oracle. According to the flowchart all DPMS Panther AR-15's are illegal in CA even with a bullet button. Am I interpreting the law correctly?

Thanks for any advice.

Are you positively sure that it says Panther on the lower?
I have seen DPMS Oracle Models that are not marked Panther for sale in CA.

From a Turners Ad:
http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/dpmsturners.gif

If it is not the exact model banned by name then it is not banned.

If yours is marked Panther then yes, sell your lower before you move and get a new one and swap it out. Put a magazine lock on it or go featureless to be legal.

I too just moved to CA. Question- do you need to register an AR15 with the state? If it's CA legal (based on the flowchart) is there anything else that needs to be done?

No you do not need to register rifles.
If you brought a pistol into the state you need to fill out this form and send 19$ per pistol
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf