PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection during Hunting?

Flux Capacitor
06-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Do you guys wear any?

jdberger
06-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Just when hunting doves.

I had a retard buddy that had a bad habit of firing as soon as his muzzle was even with my ear....now I wear the little foam things when I hunt doves.

T-Bear
07-01-2007, 9:08 PM
Your best bet is to use sport ear.
There super small, they increase low level sounds but block out the loud stuff as in gun fire.
Been using mine for about 3 years and there without a doubt worth it.
It's not a replacement for hearing protection indoors becasue it only blocks up to 30db. But outdoors, it's perfect.

Flux Capacitor
07-01-2007, 9:54 PM
Your best bet is to use sport ear.
There super small, they increase low level sounds but block out the loud stuff as in gun fire.
Been using mine for about 3 years and there without a doubt worth it.
It's not a replacement for hearing protection indoors becasue it only blocks up to 30db. But outdoors, it's perfect.

Where can I buy a pair? BTW there are a lot of models. Are yours the $12 kind or the $400 kind?

Rule .308
07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I always wear hearing protection when I am out shooting but never when I am hunting. I usually hunt predators so you typically only shoot your gun a couple times a night to several times a night on a good one. Funny thing is you never really even notice how loud the recoil is, must be an adrenalin thing.

T-Bear
07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
The cheapest retail center would be walmart. I have the first generation ones, SPORTEAR I I bought them used less than a year old for $100 from a fellow range member who upgrading to the SPORTEAR II.
The only difference from I and II would be mine only goes up to nrr 30db and up to 8x hearing enhancement. The II goes up to 36db and 10x hearing enhancement
It blocks out the nosie created by my 454 casull so it's good enough for me.

Might want to be on the lookout for bass pro shop which is opening real soon, I'm pretty sure there is going to be a big sale there.

Fjold
07-02-2007, 7:13 AM
I use the electronic earmuffs when varmint shooting.

Mr. Joshua
07-02-2007, 7:13 PM
I'm not a hunter at all, but I imagine it would be one of those things where electronic ear-pro could/would come in handy.