View Full Version : Hand Guard end caps?

09-19-2012, 5:12 AM
Just purchased a Spikes AR on CalGuns and it a Tri-angle shaped cap, gas block is the A-2 (M-16 style) sight post.

#1 Does this restrict my choice of replacement hand guards?

#2 If so are there ways around this without removing the gas block sight post?

#3 It currently wears the round L.E. type hand guard, would like a quad rail or at least a MagPul.

If it does restrict my options, please throw out some maker's i can use.

Thanks, Guy
PS Yes i know the title is incorrect, should be "end" cap, still working on 1st cup of coffee!!

09-19-2012, 5:37 AM
This should answer your question and future concerns re: Centerfire semi-auto rifles.


09-19-2012, 6:10 AM
Stars: I'm not worried about the legal aspect of the gun, i just want to change the hand guards, but that is a nice flow chart for those questions. Thanks Guy

09-19-2012, 6:29 AM
hand guard in caps?


Hand guard end caps? The Magpul MOE hand guards look good and are designed to work with both the triangular and round end caps. I'd look into those first, since you can pick them up for ~$25-30 shipped off the marketplace here.

09-19-2012, 6:35 AM
hand guard in caps?



09-19-2012, 7:54 AM
PS Yes i know the title is incorrect, should be "end" cap, still working on 1st cup of coffee!!

Welcome to Cal Guns.!

I have the same coffee problem....hehe

Just so you know you can EDIT your headline by clicking ADVANCED and then you could correct your mistake. No use editing to mention you made a mistake when you can just rewrite the headline and be done with it.

Be well

09-19-2012, 4:40 PM
Thanks Bob, Live and Learn, with a lot of coffee.

09-19-2012, 9:03 PM
What length is the barrel?
Typically, carbine gas system barrels have a round hand guard cap while rifle gas or mid length gassed barrels have the triangular hand guard caps.
The hand guards will accommodate the standard type of hand guard cap that is appropriate to the gas system length.
Now, if you have a carbine gas system barrel with a triangular cap, that would cause problems.

09-20-2012, 5:29 AM
It is a mid length carbine and i'm new to the AR Platform, would prefer a quad rail, don't really want to have to remove the gas block/sight post.

09-20-2012, 7:21 AM
Wait, so it's a mid-length with a circular hand guard, correct?

Just pick up any drop-in rail. A lot of companies make them, it will just boil down to your budget and preferences. Some companies that make quality drop-ins are Troy, Midwest Industries, Daniel Defense, and Knights Armament.

If you would prefer to have a free float rail, there are also 2 piece designs that don't require removal of the front sight. This is a good option for people with pinned muzzle devices. All it would require is removal of the delta ring assembly (and maybe the end cap, depending on which rail you decide to go with). Midwest Industries, Troy, Samson, Centurion Arms offer these types of rails.

09-20-2012, 8:55 PM
NO, it does not have the circular end cap, it has triangular end cap, is there an adaptor that allows the use of quad rail, or do i have to replace it with round end cap?

09-21-2012, 6:15 PM
Mid length hand guards are meant to use with a triangular hand guard cap.

09-22-2012, 6:23 AM
That is answer i was looking for, so AR15, any quad rail for a mid length will be okay?

09-22-2012, 8:15 PM
That is answer i was looking for, so AR15, any quad rail for a mid length will be okay?

It should be.