PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a rifle...Where to start?

Spm81392
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello All!

Im new to the forum and im looking for your opinions and advise. Im looking for a rilfe that is CA Compliant, chambered 556. and is piston operated. I resently went to a local gun store and found the Sig 556. Patrol and i fell in love. More or less im looking for somthing that doesnt look like a full on AR 15 but anything with the AR lower (such as the sig) but with a different upper. I have nothing aginst and AR but im looking for some thing different before i give in and buy one. Im looking to spend around $1000, and if i can find a sig or somthing similar for that much ill get it.

All help is appriciated!

Thanks.

NorCalXJ
09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Get a saiga 556 or build your own AR

MrPlink
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Ak, you will have plenty of cash left over for ammo, optics, training etc etc

wash
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Well if you listen to the ATF, the lower is the gun so whatever upper you install it's always going to be a full blown AR.

Sorry to rain on your parade but in your price range, it's hard to make a case for gas piston systems. They add quite a bit to the cost but add relatively little to reliability. The same money spent on a premium bolt carrier group and good barrel probably does more for reliability than a gas piston system and can have an edge in accuracy.

There is a reason why ARs look like ARs and different is not always better.

With that said, beside the AR57 which is a blowback operated upper, bolt action uppers like a Ferret50 and that stupid crossbow upper, I don't know of anything that looks different, bolts up to an AR lower and is chambered in 5.56 with gas piston operation.

Arteel
09-18-2012, 11:46 PM
For 1k, you can get a Keltec SU-16CA plus ammo and extra mags. Best of all - detachable mags.

MKMS
09-18-2012, 11:54 PM
+1 for the AK if you do want something different than a AR

You can always get a Sig 522 and shoot the $*** out of it. Then save a bit more money and build an AR! Just my suggestion.

Spm81392
09-19-2012, 2:00 AM
Thanks guys. Im also a fan of the AK. My dad built his own AR and it came out nice. Maybe im being too picky, and i should just buy an AR. As far as reliability, ive always been told go piston, and so ive neglected to look at gas systems. And thoughts on ARs i should be looking at? Or even AK's? I couldnt tell one AK from another.

jeffrice6
09-19-2012, 2:12 AM
Ruger Mini ~

Spm81392
09-19-2012, 2:20 AM
Ruger Mini ~

Ive also looked at these. If i did get one I would end up making it pistol grip and such. Ive seen some nice ones looking pretty much set up how id want it...Looks like ill be hitting up some gun stores soon and trying them out. You can look at all the picture you want but nothing beats gripping the rifle and feeling that action slide forward! id still like some info on AKs

jeffrice6
09-19-2012, 2:44 AM
Ive also looked at these. If i did get one I would end up making it pistol grip and such. Ive seen some nice ones looking pretty much set up how id want it...Looks like ill be hitting up some gun stores soon and trying them out. You can look at all the picture you want but nothing beats gripping the rifle and feeling that action slide forward! id still like some info on AKs

Wait, what...? That defeats the purpose of the Mini! The Mini is a true rifle & requires no BB, one can run mags as intended. Thats the beauty of the old Mini, Ca legal & GTG as is!!!

Renaissance Redneck
09-19-2012, 7:45 AM
I also vote for the Mini. I've had mine for a week now, and I love it. ^^^^ Like he said, if you put a pistol grip on the Mini, then you can't legally drop the mags as intended; it becomes an "illegal" assault weapon.

Sicarius
09-19-2012, 8:30 AM
Ruger mini, Keltec Su16 and saiga. If you feel a little richer, Benelli MR1.
Kevin

Spm81392
09-19-2012, 9:36 AM
I also vote for the Mini. I've had mine for a week now, and I love it. ^^^^ Like he said, if you put a pistol grip on the Mini, then you can't legally drop the mags as intended; it becomes an "illegal" assault weapon.

This i did not know! thanks. I figured if you can buy an AR with bullet button it was all the same but thinking about it now youd be 100% correct sir, i should have put more thought into that one. Going out today to check some out after my job interview so ill keep ya'll posted as to what i find....or even buy 0.o

Sicarius
09-19-2012, 1:37 PM
Daewoo Dr200!!
Kevin

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 2:37 PM
Vector V93 might fall in your price range.

janus408
09-19-2012, 3:43 PM
How about this and 1,000 rounds (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=17&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=814) for under your price range?

Mossy Man
09-19-2012, 4:29 PM
mini-14 or saiga 223

gets my vote

Uriah02
09-19-2012, 5:00 PM
Hang out on the forum more and read on the varying opinions. 1K for a piston setup will limit most of your options. The unique look idea... you need to clarify, SCARs and ACRs look different, but to what end? I would make a decision less on the aesthetics and more on the functionality. If you want to give AK piston system a whirl you might want to look at Robinson XCR, then again your price cap will be an issue.

gmcal
09-19-2012, 8:26 PM
My suggestion is a basic M4 type ar. Shoot the crap out it then modify it to your liking or build your own to your specs.

You're not likely to notice any improvement in reliability with piston in the conditions you're likely to use it. If you're an operator in the sandbox shooting your own rifle suppressed on select fire, I may be wrong.

myk
09-19-2012, 11:14 PM
If you're serious about getting into shooting I suggest raising your budget a little bit-what's a few more hundred dollars? I recently bought and shot a Ruger 556E, a piston gun at about $1100 but that was a sale price. In addition to that I had to buy optics for it as I found out the "E" stood for essential or EMPTY, but I love the rifle. Why don't you want the gun to look like a typical AR?

Lugiahua
09-19-2012, 11:33 PM
SU-16CA is a good deal if you aren't moving to free states anytime soon.
Even if you moved to a free state, can easily covert it to an AR style rifle by removing two screws.

It's featureless by default, more accurate than a Mini, and uses AR mags.
But stay away from original SU-16A, their plastic sight sucks.

Spm81392
09-20-2012, 2:35 AM
Well guys i caved in. I do appriciate all the help! After spending about an hour and a half at the local gun shop checking out mini 14s, AKs, and just about every type of AR there is, i finally bought a Sig M400 its been used but it was purchased last month and returned this week definatley not much use, and its backed with life time repair from the shop (There gunsmith certifies it). Couldnt aruge with the price. $800 bone stock with the exception on the magpul grip and ive already purchased the magpul foregrip which i will attach a flashlight and a grip. I also plan on putting a magpul flip sight on it. I love how the set up looks. And yes i said MAGPUL way too many times in that sentence. Thanks again! Ill post up some pics as soon as i get her home. 10 days? Here we go.

PEZHEAD265
09-20-2012, 6:04 AM
Summit Gun Broker has the Ruger 556 for 995 and it is a piston drive AR.Go to the web sight and click Ruger and it is on the dropdown list.