PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to install a 74 style break on my saiga conversion

Madison
09-18-2012, 9:58 PM
Hey guys,

At the beginning of the year I converted my saiga and the last thing I want to do is put an Ak-74 style muzzle break on it. I took a toothbrush and scrubbed around the shroud and can see the threads so I just need to cut the shroud off and screw one on.

I've been researching all over how to remove the shroud and the process doesn't seem clear to me as people are doing it different ways. Will anyone with experience care to enlighten me on doing so? :)

thanks

wash
09-18-2012, 10:35 PM
An AK74 uses a 24mm threaded front sight for the muzzle brake attachment.

To be more correct, an AK74 front sight with a real AK74 muzzle brake is the way to go.

Freagan
09-18-2012, 11:09 PM
My saiga came with threads as well. Do you have any pictures of the barrel? What caliber?

wash
09-18-2012, 11:25 PM
This is the method for doing a dimpled FSB and/or gas block conversion:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=328251

Harrison_Bergeron
09-19-2012, 11:15 AM
If his Saiga is one of the ones withe the pre-converted front end and tacked on thread protector, then he already has 24mm threads.

An AK74 uses a 24mm threaded front sight for the muzzle brake attachment.

To be more correct, an AK74 front sight with a real AK74 muzzle brake is the way to go.

Madison
09-19-2012, 2:20 PM
The pre-threaded ones have 14X1LH threads

wash
09-19-2012, 2:27 PM
If you can find a local build party and parts from a Bulgarian AK74 kit, it shouldn't be that hard to do a complete front end conversion or partial if you don't want to do everything.

Donkeypunch0420
09-19-2012, 2:31 PM
Don't mean to thread jack, but I don't think my question really deserves it's own thread......I bought a converted Saiga and the previous owner threaded the muzzle. When I put an AK74 style break on, the ports don't line up exactly horizontal on the break, kinda like it was threaded just a couple centimeters too far. Just wondering if there are any ill effects with this?

zfields
09-19-2012, 2:48 PM
Don't mean to thread jack, but I don't think my question really deserves it's own thread......I bought a converted Saiga and the previous owner threaded the muzzle. When I put an AK74 style break on, the ports don't line up exactly horizontal on the break, kinda like it was threaded just a couple centimeters too far. Just wondering if there are any ill effects with this?

Just throw a crush washer on it so it will index correctly.

chead
09-19-2012, 2:54 PM
Wait, a Saiga without the '74 front end conversion pre-done, but with 14x1 threading? All the standard Saigas I've seen have a bare crown.

zfields
09-19-2012, 2:55 PM
Wait, a Saiga without the '74 front end conversion pre-done, but with 14x1 threading? All the standard Saigas I've seen have a bare crown.

Some of them have the threading under the FSB shroud.

Madison
09-19-2012, 9:34 PM
Some of them have the threading under the FSB shroud.

How do I get the shroud off with simple tools?

zfields
09-19-2012, 9:47 PM
How do I get the shroud off with simple tools?

I used a pipe cutter

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

hermosabeach
09-19-2012, 10:27 PM
It sounds like the same shroud as on the WASR.

You can use a dremel with a cut off wheel to slice through the tack welds

Go slow
If it has the plunger in the front sight block- depress it and turn with a wrench

Repeat until uou are through the welds and the cover turns freely

As always, drop a cleaning rod down the barrel after you install a new device. Uou want to verify that the threads of the Front sight block or barrel are in line with the bore

Saiga makes the infamous Vodka guns and if the threads are not in line with the bore, you run the risk of a bullet striking the muzzle device

Harrison_Bergeron
09-20-2012, 1:39 PM
The pre-threaded ones have 14X1LH threads

These (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1393&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=762) have 24mm.

bloodhawke83
09-20-2012, 1:51 PM
Mine had a shroud, used a metal file to get it off and filed down the barrel end to the right size. Had a bore guide with the threader, don't remember which one we used.

Carolina Shooting Supply pretty much has all the tools you'll need.

wash
09-20-2012, 3:53 PM
These (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1393&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=762) have 24mm.
For $10 more they have the 340 in 5.45*39.

That one can use an AK74 muzzle brake, a 7.62*39 might need an expensive brake with a bigger bore.

janus408
09-20-2012, 10:26 PM
I've been researching all over how to remove the shroud and the process doesn't seem clear to me as people are doing it different ways. Will anyone with experience care to enlighten me on doing so?

I just did mine last week, just dremel the tack welds off. If you dont have a dremel (a great tool to have, it would be worth buying one) try and find someone that you can borrow from. I also saw a guy that bought one and returned it, while I wouldnt do that, it's an option.

It's a simple process though, just grind those 4 tack welds off with the abrasive disc, slide the cover off (did it with my hand, its on there very loosely), and grind down what is left of the tack welds.

Mine was the 24mm threading. I found a bulgarian surplus zig-zag on Calguns. That is what you want if you can find one, dont buy the tapco or any american made knockoff. They go for look not functionality.

Harrison_Bergeron
09-21-2012, 2:01 PM
Threaded barrel triggers 922r, hence the tacked on thread cover, so if you are using a foreign made muzzle device, then that is one more USA part you need.

wash
09-21-2012, 2:23 PM
I suggest hammer, trigger, sear, pistol grip, stock, mag base plate and mag follower.