PDA

View Full Version : AR legality question

cannon
09-17-2012, 4:52 PM
Asked a question I don't know the answer to. No doubt someone here will.

Buddy bought a new Colt M4. He wants to know if he can mill the island in the lower out and stay legal.

No, I did not ask why. I just don't want to know.

wash
09-17-2012, 5:08 PM
If he makes it like other semi-auto ARs, it should be fine.

My guess is he wants to make it DIAS compatible which is legal because the DIAS is the "machine gun" and where machine guns are legal it is OK to use a registered DIAS in an AR that is not a "machine gun".

Chaos47
09-17-2012, 5:56 PM
Legal, yes. Don't drill the evil hole though.

Pointless, yes. Why do it? Pretty much no good reason unless he has a DIAS. Which I don't think you can own in CA unless you have the correct permits. But I do not know the in and outs of FA for CA.

If he is going to the trouble to mill that he might as well get an 80% and mill it all.

wash
09-17-2012, 7:28 PM
Well you might have an out of state friend with a DIAS?

I'm all for the legal use of registered machine guns and even think that it's a good idea to see if your semi-auto AR is reliable shooting full auto because if SHTF, you'll be busy enough making DIAS without tuning your guns for full auto...

702Shooter
09-18-2012, 1:19 AM
It's perfectly legal to remove the sear block but it will also lower the value of the Colt rifle. Other than a DIAS, other reasons to do it are to make room for certain drop in triggers or to change to a different BCG what doesn't have the slot cut for the sear block.

cannon
09-18-2012, 7:25 AM
Thanks guys, I'll pass it on.

Knowing this guy he'll probably destroy it trying to do this. :facepalm: