PDA

View Full Version : Marushin Stripped Lower question

Siberian23
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Hello-

I know this is a complete newb question but I searched and didn't find a solid answer. I have an old Marushin M16A1 model gun, one of the ones that looks like a real select fire M16A1 but is only shoots the PFC. The gun is old and parts are broken. However, if I strip down the lower receiver and purchase a LPK and an upper would I be able to put it all together and have a semi-auto Ar15? Yes, I would add a bullet button and no I would not try to hybrid the Marushin FA parts and be able to use the select fire option.

I am just wondering if I can use the stripped lower like any other stripped lower? I don't have an AR to compare it with to know if the dimensions are correct or not. Thank you for the help.

MrPlink
09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
And Troll of the week goes to...

gun toting monkeyboy
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM
So let me get this straight. You have a broken airsoft gun that you would like to turn into a real firearm?

-Mb

Capybara
09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Wow, I am way too newbie at ARs to even know what that is (Marushin) but if that is an Airsoft gun, you, sir, are insane.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Yes, but it doesn't come in bright colors like the nerf guns do...

unusedusername
09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
An airsoft lower isn't even the correct kind of metal, let alone the right shape.

A lower is like $90. Go buy one.

Merc1138
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Hello-

I know this is a complete newb question but I searched and didn't find a solid answer. I have an old Marushin M16A1 model gun, one of the ones that looks like a real select fire M16A1 but is only shoots the PFC. The gun is old and parts are broken. However, if I strip down the lower receiver and purchase a LPK and an upper would I be able to put it all together and have a semi-auto Ar15? Yes, I would add a bullet button and no I would not try to hybrid the Marushin FA parts and be able to use the select fire option.

I am just wondering if I can use the stripped lower like any other stripped lower? I don't have an AR to compare it with to know if the dimensions are correct or not. Thank you for the help.

Seriously?

Fate
09-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, go for it.

:rofl2:
Please let us know where to send the flowers.

soopafly
09-17-2012, 1:10 PM
...if I strip down the lower receiver and purchase a LPK and an upper would I be able to put it all together and have a semi-auto Ar15?...

I am just wondering if I can use the stripped lower like any other stripped lower?

Sure...you could do that...

or you can pull the pin on this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Zlzkqx8JGVM/TlnFm1egmUI/AAAAAAAAAB0/tCRW0qfMKU8/s1600/grenade.jpg
and wait to see what happens.

same results

Shooster
09-17-2012, 1:54 PM
face palm haha
for the sake of airsoft do not continue with this thought
there needs to be a safety certificate like there are for buying a real weapon for airsoft now

Carzy Driver
09-17-2012, 2:08 PM
haha wow

Siberian23
09-17-2012, 3:05 PM
Alright. So it's not airsoft, it's made out of zinc metal, I've seen aluminum lowers and polymer lowers, so why would zinc metal not work? I was not planning on using any of the parts other than the stripped lower and putting in all after market parts. It appears to be the right size and have the correct hole spacing for everything but I wasn't sure. So it would appear that I am crazy. I realize a new lower is $90 and I can afford one. However, with all the original appearing colt rollmarks I thought this would be a sweet looking lower if it could work. It's a metal replica of an m16a1 and functioned using PFC not airsoft. Since I don't have an AR to currently compare it to I did not know if all the dimensions would be correct.

However, I can appreciate that you all think I'm crazy.

chead
09-17-2012, 3:08 PM
Don't do it.

Psykoasn
09-17-2012, 3:15 PM
i think this is what you have

www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/marushin-colt-ar-15-xm177e2-prop-replica-gun

there is a warning on here saying not to try to convert it into a real firearm, but it could be there way of protecting themselves or words to live by

I personally would not risk it

operator13
09-17-2012, 3:23 PM
The lower the OP is suggesting to rebuild off of isn't an "Airsoft" gun, although it was produced by a company which mainly produces airsoft guns.

In fact, the lower receiver for the "Model Gun" that the OP has is very similar to a real steel AR-15. It utilizes a magazine just like a standard AR, has a bolt carrier group, buffer, buffer spring, etc. It functions similar to a real firearm, except instead of powder/primer it uses a "cap" (think those old cap guns the ice cream man & liquor stores used to sell, except a lot more potent) to cycle the bcg, eject the "spent" casing, and strip a "new" casing off the top of a magazine. The majority of these "Model Guns" had the same full auto capabilities as their real steel counterparts.

xprrBLBE1b4

OP, it's a bad idea, for more than just one reason. You're walking down a path with a lot of risk and possible negative consequences. From my understanding, Western Arms, one of the first companies that began producing "gas powered" airsoft rifles drew a lot of attention from the ATF because of how closely their lower receivers resembled that of F/A lowers. Supposedly they were even able to fire a live round using a modified airsoft lower receiver with a standard upper receiver, although I don't think there was ever any proof/pictures.

Siberian23
09-17-2012, 4:02 PM
Operator13 thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was talking about. I had the same worries about the select fire option on the lower and the fact it would need to be registered as a gun instead of as the "toy" it was sold as. I will just take everyone here's advice and not bother trying it.

Now I am mostly just curious if an upper would fit on it. Hopefully a lgs will have the same curiosity as me and want to try a test fitment.

isplice
09-17-2012, 4:36 PM
The hammer pin and the trigger pin are different sizes- look at a close-up picture of the lower receiver. Don't know which one (if either) is correct for an AR-15

Siberian23
09-17-2012, 4:41 PM
isplice thank you, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
The zinc won't work because it is too soft. It would deform and break. It lacks the strength of aluminum and the resilience of polymer. If you want one with M16 markings, there is a company out there on Gunbroker that is selling 80% lowers with M16A1 Hydromatic markings. You could also do the same thing by just getting an 80% and engraving it with the Colt markings. You are not trying to sell it, so I don't believe that the copyright issues come into play.

-Mb