PDA

View Full Version : PSA upper receiver question:

C.W.M.V.
09-16-2012, 10:26 PM
So what is the general reputation of this establishment amongst the AR crowd here?

I am looking for an upper and came across this:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/upper-receivers/complete-upper-receiver.html

Looks like a good deal, but I don't want to put crap into my x39 build and I know nothing about this establishment.

Sonic_mike
09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
The word is they are great, have you also checked out riflegear uppers word is they are DD uppers.

frankm
09-16-2012, 10:33 PM
They're good uppers, it's waiting for it to ship that takes a toll on ya. LOL.

guitar-nut
09-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Good company, good customer service, excellent prices, but slow shipping.

C.W.M.V.
09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Well Im in no hurry, trying to find a complete, light weight/M4 profile x39 barrel seems like it will be a chore...
Thanks much guys.

roushstage2
09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Slower shipping, but worth the wait IMO. If you need something NOW, then you might want to look elsewhere.

scglock
09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Just shot my 14.7" lightweight middy upper with pinned comp today. Smooth shooting and accurate. Kept my rounds on a 3" target @ 50 yards with wolf military classic.

jsipe007
09-17-2012, 6:13 AM
My upper is from PSA and I have been extremely satisfied with it. As guys here have mentioned though, they do use the full 10-15 business days to ship. At least they state that before you place an order so I knew what i was getting myself into... LOL

They have a lifetime warranty and I was very very impressed with their warranty service. I had a few issues with my rifle (long story short, the gas tube somehow got bent. I think it could have been my doing but anyways, I talked to Joe Weir directly and he assured me I was not to blame. he had me send in my upper on PSA's dime then shipped me a brand new complete upper.) From where I stand, yes the wait to get PSA Parts can be a while, but the quality and warranty is top notch.

bombadillo
09-17-2012, 6:16 AM
I've owned more than 5 now and all have both been accurate, and well made. A lot of their barrels are made by FN which IMO is one of the best out there. I've owned BCM, and others that I think are comparable and would own a PSA upper in a heartbeat over the BCM ones for the price alone.

0331Marine
09-17-2012, 6:28 AM
Ive built 5 AR's using PSA uppers. I have nothing bad to say about them. I'll keep using them as long as the price doesnt go up.

Yerman
09-17-2012, 7:36 AM
CS sucks. I'll never buy anything from them again.

k1dude
09-17-2012, 11:36 AM
PSA is great stuff at great prices. CS and shipping are slow. Backordered stuff can literally take months and months to get back in stock - especially their complete uppers. But if you aren't in a hurry, it's worth the wait.

I used to buy from them before everyone else found out about them and it was awesome. Now due to their crazy popularity, some things move very slowly.

Akers
09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
PSA is great stuff at great prices. CS and shipping are slow. Backordered stuff can literally take months and months to get back in stock - especially their complete uppers. But if you aren't in a hurry, it's worth the wait.

I used to buy from them before everyone else found out about them and it was awesome. Now due to their crazy popularity, some things move very slowly.

+1 on every word of this post. I run a PSA as my primary rifle and love it.

bombadillo
09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
I've also bought a bunch of their lowers. Some of the best deals on the market at $99 shipped. $79.99 on sale from time to time. Always in spec, and I believe they're made by AERO precision. I'm building a 7.62x39 off of one of their lowers next.

762.DEFENSE
09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
I have two PSA uppers, and they've worked without a problem. PSA is g2g in my book.

gunsarefun
09-17-2012, 4:10 PM
As said, their customer service and shipping system sucks. My upper, that was supposed to be in stock, took 40 days to be delivered to me. For me that isn't acceptable. Either they have the parts in stock and the man power to build the uppers or they don't. If they don't, either tell the customer it will take forever to get their product, or don't offer it for sale and especially as "in stock." Don't get me started on the CS people, my experience is that they have no clue on what has, or hasn't shipped, where something is at in the assembly process, etc.

For some guys, waiting months for their parts is fine, for me, it's not. When I decide to build an AR, I dros my lower and get everything else ordered the same day. I expect 10 days to be plenty of time for a company to deliver parts kits, uppers, stocks, etc.

As far as the quality, my PSA 14.7" upper isn't bad, not it's nothing to to get excited about either. Seems to function fine, but it's not as smooth as my Stag LE upper, or my BCM upper. The finish could be a bit better. The A2 flash hider already had rust on it after just a couple of weeks.

It's not like they are a screaming deal or anything, I payed $557 for my PSA 14.7 hammer forged carbine upper. I paid like $612 or something for my BCM 14.5" carbine upper, and $575 for my Stag limited LE 14.5" upper. I will not be purchasing anything else from PSA.

bombadillo
09-17-2012, 4:42 PM
OK, so seriously I have to ask, what do you guys who say the BCM "feels" better think the difference is? I hear that quite a bit and I've owned BCM, Stag, JP, RRA, Sabre, YHM, and more I'm missing but I've never noticed a huge difference in quality or "feel" of an upper except maybe the finish may be a bit different than another. The only gun that felt better than any other was the JP and thats because it had a titanium gray Duracoat on it and the action, as well as the BCG were WAY smoother than any other upper/lower combo I've ever felt. As for BCM, Bushmaster, Stag, RRA, Sabre, or others, I honestly don't feel a difference at all in any way shape or form. They're all mil-spec hard coated type III and I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Serious question, don't think I'm flaming but I am really curious.

gunsarefun
09-17-2012, 4:49 PM
OK, so seriously I have to ask, what do you guys who say the BCM "feels" better think the difference is? I hear that quite a bit and I've owned BCM, Stag, JP, RRA, Sabre, YHM, and more I'm missing but I've never noticed a huge difference in quality or "feel" of an upper except maybe the finish may be a bit different than another. The only gun that felt better than any other was the JP and thats because it had a titanium gray Duracoat on it and the action, as well as the BCG were WAY smoother than any other upper/lower combo I've ever felt. As for BCM, Bushmaster, Stag, RRA, Sabre, or others, I honestly don't feel a difference at all in any way shape or form. They're all mil-spec hard coated type III and I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Serious question, don't think I'm flaming but I am really curious.For me, I found my PSA upper to have more recoil than my BCM and Stag LE upper. Like it's over gassed or something.

bombadillo
09-17-2012, 5:28 PM
Where does the brass eject at. I'm surprised. I have always had mine eject at 3:00-4:00 on ALL my carbine and mid-length uppers from them.