PDA

View Full Version : New M1S upper, cleaning paper catches on vent port

E5_Bill
09-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Q1: Is it normal to be able to 'feel' the gas port in the barrel when cleaning it?

It's been a while since I bought a new barrel, and while cleaning it for the first time I found there was significant debris in the gas port area inside the barrel, including a few metal particles. I can still feel where the cleaning paper passes the gas port. Since my .22 cleaning rods were too big, I wrapped the paper on the end of a thin welding rod and pushed it through.

This is for a M1S (Model 1 Sales) .204 Ruger 24" stainless bull upper, just bought it at Cow Palace gun show yesterday.

Q2: Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the penninsula/east bay area?

I built this up from a stripped AR15 lower, I would like a gunsmith to give it a once-over before I bring it to the range. It's been a long time since rebuilding my M16A1 in basic training.

joelogic
09-16-2012, 10:49 PM
You only need to function check the trigger. Cock hammer, pull and capture trigger, manually reset hammer, release trigger. If hammer stays cocked you are GTG.

ar15barrels
09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
A burr at the gas port is common in unfired ar barrels.
It comes out with the first round fired.

E5_Bill
09-17-2012, 7:19 AM
Thanks guys! I was worried about the first shot galling the barrel past the port but looks like there are no worries.

I'm sure I built it fine. But I got a PM for a gunsmith, I'll have them check it out for safety since this is my first build in a while, all brand new parts, and I kinda expected all parts would be highly clean (were not).