PDA

View Full Version : AR15 handguard end caps

titleist16
09-16-2012, 9:54 PM
I'm looking at getting a new handguard for my midlength AR15. I'm looking at getting a UTG or AIM aluminum quad rail style handguard. Does anybody know if my stock round end cap will work with those handguards? Anybody have any experience with these handguards? I've been looking on amazon for an inexpensive simple rail handguard and these seem to fit the bill and have pretty good customer reviews. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

protoolsnerd
09-16-2012, 10:00 PM
If you want a decent handguard that won't break your bank look at YHM ( yankee hill machine )

Those el cheapo aluminum rails are crap and will easily deform if you cinch down your accessories .

ar15barrels
09-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Most of the cheaper railed handguards are NOT free floated.
Any of those types are going to REQUIRE that you leave the round steel handguard cap in place on the barrel in order to retain the front of the handguard.
If you were looking for a freefloated rail system and you want the front closed off, then YHM is going to be the ticket.

madland
09-18-2012, 1:32 AM
I bought a UTG once and sent it right back. Once mounted to my rifle it didn't line up correctly and you could see it was just off a bit...not too much..but enough to notice. Got a Midwest Industries with the trim ring and couldn't be happier. But YHM was my other choice and would've been happy with that too..the trim ring wasn't in stock so I went with the MI. Check out vtsupply.com They have really great prices on both brands in various sizes and styles. If you are keeping your stock front sight then you can get a 2 piece that snaps right on. If you are going free-float and looking to get rid of the D-ring then I'm pretty sure you will have to get a low profile gas block as well before you lose the front sight and go with a rail-mounted front flip-up sight. My .02