PDA

View Full Version : Truglo red dot on 887

madstyle1
09-16-2012, 4:40 PM
Just purchased this to try out on the range with rifled slugs... Anyone here have experience with the red dot? Likes and dislikes abou it?

RuskieShooter
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Just purchased this to try out on the range with rifled slugs... Anyone here have experience with the red dot? Likes and dislikes abou it?

I have a Burris Fastfire II on my 590 and like it. It gives me a bright red dot to put on a target and allows me to aim and fire easily with both eyes open. Downside is that being electronic there is always the concern of batteries going dead or electronics being beaten up by the heavy recoil. They are not for everyone and there are some good reasons not to use one, but I really like mine.

-Ruskie

G-Solutions
09-18-2012, 2:37 PM
On Red dots you get what you pay for: I've got an RMR on my Glock and I'm finishing the work on a low-mount rail for a Fastfire III on my Marlin 1894c. Both sights provide nice bright dots, but the construction of the Trijicon Unit is significantly beefier than the Burris. The RMR is machined aluminum, the FF3 is formed thin sheet metal.

That said - the Burris is supposed to be impervious to recoil - question is how well it will hold up in the field when it snags on brush etc. If you are looking for an optic that will improve your game and last, I'd recommend saving up a bit and purchasing something that is of better quality.

One Red Dot that I had good luck with is the Bushnell TRS-25. I ran the living daylights out of that sight mounted on a Winchester 94. This sight went through a lot of sling-the-rifle-transition-to-pistol drills where I literally tossed the rifle into the sling and it held up fine. They currently go for about $85 at Turner's and at Midway (sale until end of the month)

drunktank
09-18-2012, 4:34 PM
Mine has seen over 5k rounds of various guns and calibers. My only complaint is that the damn battery finally ran out!

Still hold zero and it's been banged around quite a bit. Hope this helps.

BigDogatPlay
09-18-2012, 5:27 PM
I have a Tru-Glo on my S&W 22a. Dialed in easily and that pistol is a real tack driver now. While it's a good sight, I likely wouldn't put it on a shotgun as I think it wouldn't stand up to the recoil.

I have a Bushnell Trophy MP on my M-4gery. It's a pretty darned good sight for the money, has been reliable and held it's zero just fine. The T reticle it has is, I think, a plus. It's not a Trijicon or an Aimpoint, but for what is a range toy AR, it's more than capable.

The Burris Fast Fire was first thought up as a pistol sight, and the examples I've played with have been very durable. The reticle is pretty large and when the distance increases the target can get obscured. I've been toying with the idea of putting one on my Marlin 1894c .357 Mag. it's a 100 yard carbine at best anyway so the size of the reticle is not an issue in my mind.

If I was putting one on a shotgun and that shotgun was for serious social use or for hunting I'd echo G-Solutions and save up the extra dough for the Trijicon.

Rider1k
09-18-2012, 6:35 PM
let me know how this works. I run aimpoint on my AR but also have some tactical 12's I'm thinking of dotting. AImpoint is a lil pricy to put on all my guns.

madstyle1
09-18-2012, 8:33 PM
ok it shipped from ebay and I just picked up my 887 today so ill let you know how it goes..

Whiterabbit
09-18-2012, 8:41 PM
I've tried this. shot it on a big bore revolver and now the dot doesnt stay on reliably. smack the side of the unit and it'll come back on.

Put it on a shotgun for slug shooting through a smooth bore with rifled slugs, people said it wouldnt be accurate. The holes were touching at 50 yards.

still has a reliability issue. But held zero for the few rounds we tested it with.