PDA

View Full Version : Spike's Tactical color fill booboo

Farmertran
09-16-2012, 3:51 AM
So, I recently got a Spike's tactical spider lower, I decided to do a red color fill (I used Testor's "Racing Red". I painted the spider pretty easily and it turned out pretty nicely.. And then as I left it there to dry I accidentally dropped a glob of the paint onto my lower (unbeknownst to me at the time) and went and got a bite to eat. Came back and I was basically in OH **** WTF mode and tried to use acetone to remove the glob. This is what happened: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/Quan_Tran/2012-09-16_03-41-03_89.jpg http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/Quan_Tran/2012-09-16_03-53-59_628.jpg

That white creamy stuff is dried acetone and is easily removable with water. The problem is the red stuff that seemed to have imbued itself into the receiver. I tried for a couple hours to remove it but it seems to just be stained. Just wanted to let you guys know that it's really really hard (if not impossible) to remove Testor paint when it has dried like this. I think I'm going to give it an acetone bath in the morning. If you guys have had this problem or have any suggestions, please let me know. Yes, I am an idiot.

Merc1138
09-16-2012, 5:13 AM
I suggest putting an upper on it and shooting. If anyone asks what the red smears are, just tell them your lawyer advised you not to speak about it.

mrvash
09-16-2012, 6:26 AM
Time to just Duracoat your entire AR :)

Exile Machine
09-16-2012, 6:31 AM
+1 on the duracoat suggestion.

When I get the urge to color-fill the markings I just use crayons. Durable yet completely reversible.

-Mark

Bobby Hated
09-16-2012, 6:39 AM
+1 duracoat

ptoguy2002
09-16-2012, 7:00 AM
Rattle can if something will cover that right up....:-)

isplice
09-16-2012, 7:40 AM
Go to an automotive paint supply place. Get some PPG Duracryl DTL 876 Acrylic Lacquer thinner. It will remove the traces of the red paint. Then put on some CLP, and work it in with an old toothbrush. Done.

tanakasan
09-16-2012, 8:59 AM
I use brake cleaner.

Spray some on a paper towel folded 6-8 layers flat. Wipe slow and flat.

Robert

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/hwc-traders/CGN/IMG_3451S.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/hwc-traders/CGN/IMG_3453S.jpg

DiscoBayJoe
09-16-2012, 9:01 AM
Flat Dark Earth

Farmertran
09-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Ahahaha I was thinking about just duracoating/ cerakoting the entite thing. Think I'm going to try that brake cleaner and that acrylic thing first though, thanks. Will duracoat/ cerakote still allow me to color fill?

CK_32
09-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Use break cleaner on a shop towel like said above..

If not you can also duracoat like said above.

Or just shoot the dam thing! Might not be the prettiest AR in the phot gallery/firing line but shell shoot just like all the others. Honestly it's not even that bad. I wouldn't put any thought into it.

And when SHTF you'll just be ahead of the curve ;)

Dinosaur Jr
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I suggest putting an upper on it and shooting. If anyone asks what the red smears are, just tell them your lawyer advised you not to speak about it.

I like this idea! :taz:

chozenfew805
09-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a feeling I should tag this for when I give this a go;)

motodog57
09-16-2012, 2:21 PM
spray red dots all over the rest of the rifle and tell everyone its a new type of camo

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 2:25 PM

+1 :cool2:

ParanoidCivilian
09-16-2012, 8:57 PM
So, I recently got a Spike's tactical spider lower, I decided to do a red color fill (I used Testor's "Racing Red". I painted the spider pretty easily and it turned out pretty nicely.. And then as I left it there to dry I accidentally dropped a glob of the paint onto my lower (unbeknownst to me at the time) and went and got a bite to eat. Came back and I was basically in OH **** WTF mode and tried to use acetone to remove the glob. This is what happened: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/Quan_Tran/2012-09-16_03-41-03_89.jpg http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/Quan_Tran/2012-09-16_03-53-59_628.jpg

That white creamy stuff is dried acetone and is easily removable with water. The problem is the red stuff that seemed to have imbued itself into the receiver. I tried for a couple hours to remove it but it seems to just be stained. Just wanted to let you guys know that it's really really hard (if not impossible) to remove Testor paint when it has dried like this. I think I'm going to give it an acetone bath in the morning. If you guys have had this problem or have any suggestions, please let me know. Yes, I am an idiot.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....... fail!

:smash:

killshot44
09-16-2012, 9:03 PM
When you by the Testors paint, but the Testors thinner, too.

starsnuffer
09-17-2012, 8:03 AM
I suppose one worse possible outcome would have been if you were playing pretty pretty dress-up with your firearm and your daughters ken doll came to life and started hitting on you. Other then that, I got nothin.

-W

Capybara
09-17-2012, 8:11 AM
I suppose one worse possible outcome would have been if you were playing pretty pretty dress-up with your firearm and your daughters ken doll came to life and started hitting on you. Other then that, I got nothin.

-W

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You have seriously got me laughing so hard I am tearing up. Good stuff.

ar15barrels
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Put the lower and acetone in a ziplock bag so that the effected area is immersed.
Let it soak a few hours with the ziplock bag sealed to fight evaporation of the acetone.
Then go at it with a toothbrush.

It will all come off eventually.

BlackOpsArms
09-17-2012, 8:32 PM
Honestly- try Froglube on the lower. It darkens the metal like armor all on your car tires. It may hide the discoloration.

BlackOpsArms
Honestly- try Froglube on the lower. It darkens the metal like armor all on your car tires. It may hide the discoloration.

BlackOpsArms

connorr931
09-17-2012, 8:37 PM
I believe this was already mentioned but try some paint lacquer. I would just be careful how hard you scrub. It may start fading your paint.

jingerale
09-17-2012, 8:37 PM
Put the lower and acetone in a ziplock bag so that the effected area is immersed.
Let it soak a few hours with the ziplock bag sealed to fight evaporation of the acetone.
Then go at it with a toothbrush.

It will all come off eventually.

sorry, acetone and ziplock bag? not sure if I would put any plastic near acetone. Go get one of those disposable baking trays.

shooterbill
09-17-2012, 9:33 PM
I use non-acetone fingernail polish remover. Use on a rag that is pretty wet. Works really well.

ar15barrels
09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
sorry, acetone and ziplock bag? not sure if I would put any plastic near acetone. Go get one of those disposable baking trays.

Don't knock it till you try it...

Poly bags resist acetone.
It's styrenes that are attacked by it.

RECCE556
09-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Maybe you should stop playing Barbie with your AR and go put some rounds downrange instead. ;)

Farmertran
09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Alright, so here's a list of things that didn't work that well: Testor's enamel remover, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, and acetone. Turns out, brake cleaner and lacquer thinner is just a weaker form of acetone. Acetone worked the best out of those 4, it at least got some red on my cloth. I'm going to try soaking it in acetone and acrylic lacquer thinner next. If not, I'm just going to cerakote the damn thing.

To the guy that was relating painting firearms to barbies: Hahah okay, to each their own. I'll stick with painting my firearms.

Maybe you should stop playing Barbie with your AR and go put some rounds downrange instead. ;)

I'm waiting for the upper to arrive :D

jingerale
09-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Don't knock it till you try it...

Poly bags resist acetone.
It's styrenes that are attacked by it.

interesting, thanks for the tip. I've had bad experiences with acetone and plastic, had just assumed it eats through all plastic.

Army
09-18-2012, 8:48 AM
Paint the entire gun red :)

Tanner68
09-18-2012, 8:57 AM

+1000
When I saw the OP's post and the "damage", I thought BFD. Go shoot the thing.

Bigtwin
09-18-2012, 7:04 PM

-W

THIS!

Hdawg
09-18-2012, 8:37 PM

BEST. RESPONSE. EVER.

:King:

goodlookin1
09-18-2012, 8:54 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but you might try an eraser. That's right, I said it: An eraser. Take a standard pencil and try erasing it. The rubber really takes off some of the weirdest stuff.

I did this with white-out and it came off without too much elbow grease.