PDA

View Full Version : Why GRS on a HD shotgun?

Piratelife76
09-15-2012, 7:32 PM
I was just wandering, while looking through the shotgun pin-ups in the gallery, why someone would need ghost ring sights on a home defense shotgun?

OK, calm down zombie hunters, this is not directed at you... I appreciate your dedication. But factoring in the legality of shooting someone with a slug past 5-10 yards, can't really be to threatened at that range, why would a GRS be any better than a bead sight? If we can all shoot a flying clay disk with a bead sight, wouldn't the same work for a 90 pound crack head? At least a bead sight wouldn't get in the way of your vision while shouldering the shotgun and spouting off some money B-movie quote... just a thought for the night.

Have a great night everyone, GRS and beads alike.:sleeping:

Lugiahua
09-15-2012, 9:49 PM
I use ghost ring since day one shooting a long gun, it's significantly easier for me to use the same system on other weapons.

BigDogatPlay
09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I was just wandering, while looking through the shotgun pin-ups in the gallery, why someone would need ghost ring sights on a home defense shotgun?

You ask a question I've been asking for many years. And your argument in response to your own question is spot on.

Unless you are in the business of having to take offensive shots with a shotgun, such as LE or .mil, the GRS is (IMO) a nice to have and not a have to have. Some people use them and prefer them, and that's fine for them. Everyone has to find what works best for themselves. Some people just seem to like the cool factor and that's fine too. But for me a plain bead works just fine on a fighting shotgun.

negolien
09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Alof ot SGs come with em /shrug.. I'd rather have my Eotech on mine personally but drilling and tappings not an option atm sooo GR it is..

prc77
09-16-2012, 6:04 AM
I added GRS on one of my M500's after I was very comfortable with it. Now that it has GRS. I usually do not use them. What I'm saying, is that I don't site through them. I have shot this shotgun enough that I can point it good enough to get my hits on steel or those little flying thingies in a relatively smooth a fast fashion. I works for me

USMC 82-86
09-16-2012, 8:02 AM
Ghost rings are fine if you like that kind of thing. It is all about personal preference. I for one like just a plain bead out front and nothing else other than a side saddle maybe.

I used a shotgun to hunt deer back in S.C. about as much as a rifle. I usually would take the shotgun when I setup in a area where my longest shot would be about 75 yards. If I was on a soybean or corn field I took my rifle. I dropped a deer in its tracks at about 60 yards using a shotgun with a bead sight.

Check out Hickok45 on youtube shooting the Mossberg 590a1 if you think the iron sights are not enough. He had a tight group on the gong at 80 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zmdMNwSxEcs

JustEd
09-16-2012, 1:57 PM
I agree, it seems to limit what you can do with a scatter gun. Just bought a home defense pump and looked at the Stevens line out of curiosity (didn't get that brand). The ghost ring on some of their models not only seemed out of place but it limited the field of view too much.

Lugiahua
09-16-2012, 3:28 PM
I agree, it seems to limit what you can do with a scatter gun. Just bought a home defense pump and looked at the Stevens line out of curiosity (didn't get that brand). The ghost ring on some of their models not only seemed out of place but it limited the field of view too much.

I never own that line of products...but aren't GR suppose used with both eyes open? in that case it shouldn't limit your field of view.

johnthomas
09-16-2012, 3:47 PM
I shot my shotgun with ghost sites a couple of weeks ago. I shot from the hip and was chasing pine cones around the property. Then I used the sites and blew them apart.
The nice thing about having them is, option. If you are against them, don't get them.

Dreaded Claymore
09-16-2012, 6:05 PM
Check out Hickok45 on youtube shooting the Mossberg 590a1 if you think the iron sights are not enough. He had a tight group on the gong at 80 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zmdMNwSxEcs

This is very misleading, Hickok45 is a much better shot than most of us, and never misses. :D

mikajo39
09-16-2012, 6:34 PM
My 590A1 just so happened to be equipped with ghost ring sights and the price was just too good to pass up. Honestly they are not that big of a detriment, in fact I wouldn't even call them a detriment.

Yes it may slow down target acquisition ever so slightly but its honestly its not that big of a deal. Heck I can even bust clays with my 590.

Plus if you like to shoot slugs, it takes a lot of the guess work out of putting them down range. Yes you can shoot slugs no problem with a bead sight, but the GRS make it easier for me to throw them down range and enjoy hitting my target.
What am I trying to say? Both sight systems work, it truly comes down to a matter of preference. Be it the tried-and-true bead sight, or the "Tacti-cool" GRS. Try both and decide for yourself.

GW
09-16-2012, 8:01 PM
I'm decent with a bead and very good with the ghost rings. They just work better for me
YMMV.