PDA

View Full Version : Selling a WWII rifle require going through the transfer process?

kentactic
09-15-2012, 4:05 PM
If i own a rifle that i bought from a shop and wanted to sell it do i have to do another transfer since the rifle is now in the system?... im pretty sure i understand older guns dont have to be registered before a certain date right?... its a bolt action WWII rifle.

1000stars
09-15-2012, 4:17 PM
Over +50yrs. and original.

kentactic
09-15-2012, 4:18 PM

Im guessing you mean original owner?... thanks.

Donk310
09-15-2012, 4:24 PM
I've bough a few rifles privately without going through "the process". I believe you're good to go with any long gun right now.

Ron-Solo
09-15-2012, 4:26 PM
Im guessing you mean original owner?... thanks.

Original configuration, meaning it doesn't have modifications such as a composite stock, etc, that changes it from its historical style.

I've bough a few rifles privately without going through "the process". I believe you're good to go with any long gun right now.

Incorrect. It must be 50 years or older in California to transfer face to face without using an FFL for the transfer. All other long guns are required to be transferred thru an FFL.

kentactic
09-15-2012, 4:27 PM

Lets say you sell the gun and it ends up in a murder some where. From what i understand the process of figuring out who the registered owner is, is a pain on long guns, but is there a crime being committed for not transfering the gun to the new owner in the case of a gun older then 50 years and previously in the system.

billmaykafer
09-15-2012, 4:29 PM
depends if you have a C&R03FFL or not. if you do it needs to be logged out to new owner in your bound book.

kentactic
09-15-2012, 4:30 PM
Original configuration, meaning it doesn't have modifications such as a composite stock, etc, that changes it from its historical style.

Ok cool. So based on that it sounds like im good to go. Its 100% origonal.

kentactic
09-15-2012, 4:32 PM
depends if you have a C&R03FFL or not. if you do it needs to be logged out to new owner in your bound book.

If i dont know what that is im guessing i dont have one eh?

Bigtwin
09-15-2012, 4:53 PM
If i dont know what that is im guessing i dont have one eh?

No need to have one in your example.

The bound book is for those that have a c&r03ffl license, they have to keep track of rifles bought and sold.

Mr Malarkey
09-15-2012, 6:36 PM
I believe the person you sell to needs a C&R licence.
This might help.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=586533&page=2
Lots of info out there.

kris smith
09-15-2012, 7:05 PM
As long as you two are in the same state and the gun is over. 50 yourgtg

Pancho Villa's Armory
09-15-2012, 7:52 PM
Over 50 years old nothing needed cash and carry

CSACANNONEER
09-15-2012, 7:54 PM

CA law states "over 50 years old". It has nothing to do with it being modified or not.

Any 03 should know that. The simple fact is that no FFL is required for a simple FTF sale.

I believe the person you sell to needs a C&R licence.
This might help.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=586533&page=2
Lots of info out there.

See my post above. NO 03FFL is required for FTF transactions between two CA residents.

As long as you two are in the same state and the gun is over. 50 yourgtg

I think you mean "residents of the same state" instead of merely being "in the same state". Even that is not entirely true but, it is between residents of CA.

tujungatoes
09-15-2012, 8:04 PM
As long as both parties are residents of california and legally allowed to own firearms, the rifle in question is 50 or more years old, it is legal to transfer face to face with no FFL.

Also your rifle is not "registered" nor is it in any "system". Long guns in CA are not required to be registered except in a few special circumstances(assault weapons, destructive devices...etc.). A shop will do a background check and file a dealer record of sale(DROS) when selling you a long gun, but that isn't the same as registration.

sigstroker
09-15-2012, 9:06 PM
In a few years, there is a possibility of RAW's being 50 years old (AR-15's). I would imagine they won't be eligible for this sort of transfer? Or guns like M1 carbine paratroopers that might be a RAW?

PEZHEAD265
09-16-2012, 6:19 AM
In a few years, there is a possibility of RAW's being 50 years old (AR-15's). I would imagine they won't be eligible for this sort of transfer? Or guns like M1 carbine paratroopers that might be a RAW?

RAWS can not be sold or transfered in the state of CA.Can br sold to a outside of CA to a free state or broken down to a parts kit and the receiver destroyed.

CSACANNONEER
09-16-2012, 6:21 AM

In a little over a year, a new law is set to take effect that will require all firearms transfers to go through a FFL. RAWs already can not be transfered in CA except to LEOs with a dept. letter. The age of a RAW isn't going to change that at all.