PDA

View Full Version : Gold plating AK47?

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I was thinking of adding a gold plated AK47 to my collection in the near future. I think it looks cool and the purpose will only be to show it off. Anyone know any place in Cali who will gold plate it? Also after gold plating an AK can you still shoot it? With gold prices up, I know it's not going to be cheap but does anyone have an idea how much this will cost? Minus the price of the AK.

chead
09-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Call R.W. Little in San Diego http://rwlittle.com/

supermario
09-15-2012, 11:57 AM
That would be a nice conversational piece. Maybe put it in a nice framed box. I think a chrome plated one with some nice Russian red wood would have alot of bling. :)

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Call R.W. Little in San Diego http://rwlittle.com/

Thanks for the link.

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 12:07 PM
That would be a nice conversational piece. Maybe put it in a nice framed box. I think a chrome plated one with some nice Russian red wood would have alot of bling. :)

Chrome would look good too and probably cheaper to do then gold.

hermosabeach
09-15-2012, 12:14 PM
As long as your willing to spend the money to polish and plate your AK, have you thought about any fun engraving?

Lettering on the gas block in Arabic or Cryillic?

Some of my AK's are ugly with importer information cheapy applied
Some of the Romy G kits had a light G on the gas block

It seems like this project would be a great use for an 80% receiver. You could then add any design, logo, tribute, lettering...etc for the project

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 1:04 PM
As long as your willing to spend the money to polish and plate your AK, have you thought about any fun engraving?

Lettering on the gas block in Arabic or Cryillic?

Some of my AK's are ugly with importer information cheapy applied
Some of the Romy G kits had a light G on the gas block

It seems like this project would be a great use for an 80% receiver. You could then add any design, logo, tribute, lettering...etc for the project

80% reciever sounds like a good idea. I'd have to think about what engraving to do. This should make a greys piece to pass down generation to generation.

kris smith
09-15-2012, 1:06 PM
I asked the same question about two months ago an all I got was flak from every one

hyeg35
09-15-2012, 2:20 PM
i'm also thinking about doing this. thinking about doing a polish underfolder.

BBB114
09-15-2012, 2:25 PM
I say go for the Gold. I think that would be awsome. Then some US patriotic phrases in Arabic writing for the engraving...

Boyan

bigdawg86
09-15-2012, 3:39 PM
http://www.pe.com/incoming/20120703-plundered-ak-47-from-iraq---pic-of-gun.jpg1.ece/BINARY/w380x253/plundered+AK-47+from+Iraq+-+pic+of+gun.JPG

This one was chrome... from Saddams palace brought back by a soldier who inevitably couldn't keep his trap shut.

dmcmillenfv
09-15-2012, 3:55 PM
I chrome plated my latest build. Black chrome, with Chrome accents, with metalic candy apple red furniture. Custom 7.62x39 bolt handle. smoothed out the bayonet lug on front sight. Im not sure where your located, but my chimer, who also does gold plating is in long beach, and they did a great job.

DavidR310
09-15-2012, 5:42 PM
I asked the same question about two months ago an all I got was flak from every one

You have to ask your questions during the right time of the month
Us calgunners are all synced on our monthly cycle.

kris smith
09-15-2012, 5:45 PM
Apperantly sooooo

510GUY
09-15-2012, 5:49 PM
Dmcmillenfv that looks sweet is it a shooter?

cabinetguy
09-15-2012, 7:56 PM
Apperantly sooooo

watch out, some of us are out of sync

dmcmillenfv
09-15-2012, 8:12 PM
Dmcmillenfv that looks sweet is it a shooter?

Hell ya!!! Shoots great, I probobly got 200 rds through it so far.. I don't shoot it much, cuz I have 2 others that I built. But it does turn some heads.. Thanks, glad you like it

Dinosaur Jr
09-15-2012, 8:43 PM
I chrome plated my latest build. Black chrome, with Chrome accents, with metalic candy apple red furniture. Custom 7.62x39 bolt handle. smoothed out the bayonet lug on front sight. Im not sure where your located, but my chimer, who also does gold plating is in long beach, and they did a great job.

Nicely done. Looks like a show piece. Almost too pretty to shoot...:cool:

REDdawn6
09-16-2012, 7:33 AM
Gold plated AK to go with a Raiders jersey?

cannon
09-16-2012, 9:10 AM
Gold AK?

The beauty of a free country is that we all get to do our thing. Enjoy and post pics when done.

motodog57
09-16-2012, 1:28 PM
are you f*****g kidding are all your front teeth gold and you are trying to match them

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 1:41 PM
Gold plated AK to go with a Raiders jersey?

Nailed it

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 1:47 PM
are you f*****g kidding are all your front teeth gold and you are trying to match them

Had to sell the gold teeth few months ago. You match your guns with your teeth?

motodog57
09-16-2012, 4:05 PM
no most of my teeth are fake , but i can't say anything nice to a kings fan . to bad no hockey this year another lockout

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 8:40 PM
no most of my teeth are fake , but i can't say anything nice to a kings fan . to bad no hockey this year another lockout

Fake teeth. You must be a hockey player. Hopefully they don't cancel the whole season again.

Bobby Hated
09-16-2012, 8:49 PM
the only reason people get AK's gold plated is to take them down to mexico and sell them to narcos at a fat profit.

no one else in their right mind would spend what it costs to gold plate an AK.

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
the only reason people get AK's gold plated is to take them down to mexico and sell them to narcos at a fat profit.

That can't possibly be the only reason.

hermosabeach
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Ever since I saw the only good Nick Cage movie, Lord of War, I wanted a gold AK

Gold is so bling and it will not hold up to use as it is too soft....

Bright shiny chrome on a barrel and gas block can also burn and change to a gold color when it hits around 900 degrees.

A gold AK would be a fun add to the collection.

Ed_Hazard
09-16-2012, 11:01 PM

Great job, really like the black chrome. Who did the work?

EssDee
09-17-2012, 7:45 AM
If you Plan on chrome, go with "show quality" polished nickel. It's actually the 2nd layer of the true chroming process. but it's what's used on cars headers for example and that way it will last a lot longer without turning blue/yellow due to the heat.

dmcmillenfv
09-17-2012, 8:16 AM
Great job, really like the black chrome. Who did the work?

Artistic Silver Plating in long beach.. Chip Foose brings his chrome work there.

datapusher
10-29-2012, 5:47 PM

Damn is that Cali legal? Looks "Evil" as hell.

blackrifle242
10-29-2012, 8:28 PM
I would add some diamonds for texture on the grip!! Let the haters hate....if it isn't in FDE they feel that it isn't TACTICAL!! I remember back in the 80's/90's there was a plating kit that you could buy when everyone with a honda thought it was cool to have gold emblems.

chead
10-30-2012, 7:34 AM

It can cost less than a high quality polymer-based finish. You can't shoot it for the reasons other folks have mentioned, but as a fun show-piece it's cool as heck.

21SF
10-30-2012, 8:16 AM

Yeah, thats it, cuz they wont just kill you and take it. :rolleyes:

rcastaneda
10-30-2012, 8:19 AM
Anybody ever heard of/ seen a gold plated krink? that would probably be pretty cool.