PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD, XDM, XDS differences?

deadcoyote
09-15-2012, 8:18 AM
I am primarily a Glock or C&R handgun shooter. Was looking for a Glock 27, have been having a hard time finding one (I live in humboldt, not many options). I stumbled onto a 3" XD40 at a pawn shop for $350, looks brand new, and impulse bought without any research. I've shot XD's before, think they are good pistols. What are the differences between the different 'gens' of XD's? Also, I've seen that there is some wierd issue with slides getting locked out of battery or some such thing. Is this really a big deal as long as you follow instructions during disassembly?

zfields
09-15-2012, 8:22 AM
Jesus, the getting stuck thing only happens if you are to retarded to put the thing together right.

As far as different versions of it, springfields website makes it pretty clear.

XDm, dont need to pull trigger to disassembly, slightly better trigger, higher capacity ( on some models ), different mags.

XDs, single stack 45 CCW piece. bout it.

Czsp-01-9mm
09-15-2012, 8:23 AM
Xd is standerded, xdm is a little better has a little better trigger and a match barrel, and I think xds is same as xd just single stack, I'm sure other guys will chime in with more info than I can give

Czsp-01-9mm
09-15-2012, 8:25 AM
Jesus, the getting stuck thing only happens if you are to retarded to put the thing together right.

XDm, dont need to pull trigger to disassembly, slightly better trigger, higher capacity ( on some models ), different mags.

You beat me to it

deadcoyote
09-15-2012, 8:30 AM

Yeah, I had a hard time believing springfield would have sold 3 bajillion XD's if it was such a huge issue. Also, I know a lot of folks who own them, and have never heard of this happening to anyone other than on the web-r-nets.

zfields
09-15-2012, 8:31 AM
Yeah, I had a hard time believing springfield would have sold 3 bajillion XD's if it was such a huge issue. Also, I know a lot of folks who own them, and have never heard of this happening to anyone other than on the web-r-nets.

They changed the lug on the barrel, on the original models it could slip a little easier. Now, It's pretty damn hard to.

XDRoX
09-15-2012, 8:35 AM
I have a very old XD. From 2002. I've managed to get it stuck once. I just used some strength to get it back. Mine did it pretty easily, but still it wouldn't have happened if I had been paying better attention.

ir0nclash86
09-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Xdm- adjustable backstraps, more aggressive grip texture, doesnt have that ridge on the slide anymore, disassemble without pulling trigger, larger mag capacity, different mags, different rear sight profile, increased sight radius by a butthair, match barrel, have slightly longer barrels (xdsc 3", xdm 3.8"/ xd service 4", xdm 4.5"/ xd tactical 5", xdm 5.25") uhm thats all i can think of right now.

deadcoyote
10-01-2012, 1:49 PM
Well, mine cleared 10 day. It must be an early example as the serial is XD4020xx. It shoots great, and now that I've done it I too have a hard time seeing how you could screw up the reassembly.

BajaJames83
10-01-2012, 1:56 PM
Just an fyi as well there are many places that will sell them new for 399 on sale. So 350 for a used one might not be that big of a deal unless it comes with some extra gear.

MA2
10-01-2012, 3:39 PM
Actually you have one of the later models with "XD" serial number.

They orignally had a "US" suffix (prob ran out of digits), then the change to XD.

Congrats!

Old4eyes
10-01-2012, 5:53 PM
Earlier models of XD's have just a flat ledge on the barrel where the recoil rod rests. You can put the gun back together with this not being centered and then it will be jammed, requiring more force that you think the gun can withstand to get it apart.

Later models of the XD have a semi-circle area for the end of the recoil rod to rest. It is automatically centered and you avoid the problem mentioned.

When I put my XD back together, I pay attention to that centering. With my hand firmly covering the recoil spring and rod I peer down the slide from the back end of the slide and view to make sure it is centered.

Funny about people complaining about having to pull the trigger on an XD to disassemble it. You have to do that on a Ruger Mark 1/2/3 and you are pulling on the trigger during re-assembly as well.

Darklyte27
10-01-2012, 6:15 PM
I have shot my friends XD in 9mm, its decent, good grouping but needs to adjust his sights left about 3 inches.

I just got my XDm in .40 will need to go to the range before I give a report.

Besides it having a match barrel, night sights, better trigger, the texture of the grip and slide have serrations for grip. Also it has 3 sizes of back straps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/lcplwan/IMG_0133.jpg

mif_slim
10-01-2012, 6:28 PM
I shot my XD and my friends XDm both in 40 and same size.. well, 3.8 and 4"... The XDm sight picture is better but seem like the shaved off weight made it have a little more snap then my XD40..that's about it..other then that everyone else said it just right...

Kind of made me happy I didn't buy the XDm... Lol

Rude Robert
10-02-2012, 9:23 AM
My wife bought a sub compact 9 mill. I like it a lot. We bought it about 2 months ago, put a laser on it, then took it off. It would not hold on ounce you adjusted it. Anyways, sites are dead on for me, the wife cant hit the broad side of a barn lol...I am having fun with the cheap ammo, can not beat it in my opinion. I reload for my 357 and 44, but this thing is as fun as my 10/22:D